SiouxSports.com Forum

Holy Cross @ UND - Season Opener

stoneySIOUX

15 hours ago, FightingSU said:

Pretty sure his grandpa is Earl Strinden who is on the board of Edgewood REIT and played a role in the Ralph as well as commissioning the Sioux head as the logo. Just saying. 

11 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Curious is he is?   I know his son is an eye doctor in Fargo - wondered if he was his kid.

Yes, and yes, Earl is grandpa and dad is eye surgeon.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Yes, and yes, Earl is grandpa and dad is eye surgeon.

So the kid has some MAJOR Sioux Legacy behind him. If you do some research, Earl Strinden (GPA) played a big role in the last version of the Sioux head becoming the logo after Brien gave him a painting of it before it was the logo, and then it became the logo. I can't find the article now... shocker. But, its super interesting. So this kid comes on the team with some Major Sioux pride I would think - super cool.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 11:57 PM, gfNDfan said:

Curious if he had the "impish/evil" quality of his dad - there was something there both on the ice and in the face.   JasonB was a guy you HATED if he was on the opposing team but LOVED if he was on yours.  Thankfully he was on ours!  Hope that trait transferred also!  

THIS!

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 6:22 PM, Wilbur said:

The line that got scored on was Senden-Jammer-Ha..Judd......

Come on coaches....Senden-Jammer-Hain.....:lol:

Split the goalies.....SWEEP.

I know I’m a villain for saying this but I really think the only line that stays intact from this last weekend is the Senden-Jammer-Caulfield line. Yes they got scored on but they also had several grade A opportunities and created Kleven’s goal. It also seems like they want Hain in a scoring role this year, unless James ends up taking that on as a left winger for a top line (which seems very possible with his skill)

The other lines will get shuffled slightly, wondering if “top 6” is 

Hain Schmaltz Gaber

Costantini McLaughlin Blake (will need a top 4 D pairing on the ice for defensive safety haha)

Gaber’s chemistry on his line this Saturday wasn’t spectacular and he tried forcing it too much so they just need to make a slight change. 

I’m wondering if the “4th” line will get alternated Friday and Saturday night because everyone was good enough to earn at least one night this coming weekend  

James Ness Portz (Friday)
Kunz Strinden Albrecht (Saturday). With James as extra skater for some power play time 

But then again, we have so much forward depth that it’s going to take 3 months for any of this to shake out haha 

DeRidder Friday and maybe we get hellsten in a bit Saturday, unless he’s not healthy enough. DeRidder is going to be the man this year but Hellsten needs to play since he is  the heir apparent for next year 

1 hour ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

I know I’m a villain for saying this but I really think the only line that stays intact from this last weekend is the Senden-Jammer-Caulfield line. Yes they got scored on but they also had several grade A opportunities and created Kleven’s goal. It also seems like they want Hain in a scoring role this year, unless James ends up taking that on as a left winger for a top line (which seems very possible with his skill)

Hain Schmaltz Gaber

Costantini McLaughlin Blake (will need a top 4 D pairing on the ice for defensive safety haha)

Gaber’s chemistry on his line this Saturday wasn’t spectacular and he tried forcing it too much so they just need to make a slight change. 

I’m wondering if the “4th” line will get alternated Friday and Saturday night because everyone was good enough to earn at least one night this coming weekend  

Kunz Strinden Albrecht (Saturday). With James as extra skater for some power play time 

But then again, we have so much forward depth that it’s going to take 3 months for any of this to shake out haha 

DeRidder Friday and maybe we get hellsten in a bit Saturday, unless he’s not healthy enough. DeRidder is going to be the man this year but Hellsten needs to play since he is  the heir apparent for next year 

I actually wouldn’t be surprised if either Blake or McLaughlin will move to Gaber’s line. Berry didn’t want both of them on the same line based on the article in the Herald last week, but with the illness going through the team they probably didn’t have much choice. I bet they try one of them with Gaber. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

Hain Schmaltz Gaber

As far as the Hain on a scoring line comment, just an FYI pretty much every year they have tried Hain in a top-6 scoring role at the beginning of the year and he has never stuck there for very long. I'm wondering if that was just because so many guys were out Saturday or if they are giving him another kick at the can in Year 5? For me, I'd prefer just rolling the Senden-Jammer-Hain line. 

12 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Gaber needs to try do less on his own. 

After watching last Saturday James is a top 6 guy. James Blake McLaughlin Gaber Schmaltz Constantini are your top 6 IMO. 

Gaber is used to having to do everything on his own. It will take some time for him to adjust to having actual offensive talent around him to work with.

30 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

As far as the Hain on a scoring line comment, just an FYI pretty much every year they have tried Hain in a top-6 scoring role at the beginning of the year and he has never stuck there for very long. I'm wondering if that was just because so many guys were out Saturday or if they are giving him another kick at the can in Year 5? For me, I'd prefer just rolling the Senden-Jammer-Hain line. 

To me, I would classify the Senden-Jammer-Hain line as a top 6 as typically you are talking scoring lines, and with their numbers last year in the games they were together they put up numbers, even playing against the best players on the other team.  If you are talking minutes then, it would mean top six minutes as well.  I suppose it is all semantics, but I would classify them as top 6, as they will be in minutes and possibly scoring. 

11 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Gaber is used to having to do everything on his own. It will take some time for him to adjust to having actual offensive talent around him to work with.

Once he learns that he will create more space for himself when he dishes the puck more often, I think he could really become lethal.  If the other team believes once he gets the puck it's like a vacuum, then they will key only on him, but if he gives and goes, he is likely to get it back anyway with the likes of Schmaltz, McGlaughlin or Blake. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I actually wouldn’t be surprised if either Blake or McLaughlin will move to Gaber’s line. Berry didn’t want both of them on the same line based on the article in the Herald last week, but with the illness going through the team they probably didn’t have much choice. I bet they try one of them with Gaber. 

I'd go one step further and say I'd be surprised if one of the freshmen didn't end up with Gaber. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Gaber needs to try do less on his own. 

After watching last Saturday James is a top 6 guy. James Blake McLaughlin Gaber Schmaltz Constantini are your top 6 IMO. 

Agreed…Gabers line was not good last weekend. At least not as good as they should have been given the comp 

• Upvote 1

On 10/4/2022 at 10:59 AM, Sweethockey said:

I'm hoping they would let the older guys sit out like preseason in the NHL. Let all the freshmen and transfers play for spots on the roster. Kind of ballsy, but I think we could do it and be successful (armchair coaching). 

Not a great take :). Not only for obvious reason but also these guys play for production. Sitting older guys instead of giving them an opportunity to put up bigger numbers against lesser comp…not a good culture move. Lastly, HC beat BC last weekend so there’s that.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I actually wouldn’t be surprised if either Blake or McLaughlin will move to Gaber’s line. 

Might take some pressure off Gaber to try to do too much.    That's not really a criticism of Gaber; he has come out with huge energy this year. 

13 minutes ago, burd said:

Might take some pressure off Gaber to try to do too much.    That's not really a criticism of Gaber; he has come out with huge energy this year. 

Yeah- I’d say that’s more of an observation to me. At times I think he feels like everything is on his shoulders. I thought this last year too. And he was great last year but I never felt he had linemates he really clicked with. I hope we can find some for him this year. 

34 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Yeah- I’d say that’s more of an observation to me. At times I think he feels like everything is on his shoulders. I thought this last year too. And he was great last year but I never felt he had linemates he really clicked with. I hope we can find some for him this year. 

Reminds of Grimaldi, never really found players that could keep up with him.  Although sometimes I don't think even he could keep up with himself sometimes.  Memories come rushing back in of him on a breakaway and deking the goalie out of his skates only to deke again back into his pads.

3 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Schloss update says that all players are cleared to play this weekend except for Montgomery and Bast.

Those two were called "injured" not "ill" last week. 

Practices should've been "spirited" this week for playing time.