SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Northern Arizona 9/17/22

SiouxFan100

I believe I have been to their stadium. I f I remember correctly, there were kegs of beer in front of the student section and besides the stands - beers for sale

wasnt an UND game

never mind - I think it was a northern Colorado game with the beer kegs

yes - one of the most disappointing games I can remember was when we played there in 2018??

stunning what I expected and what happened 

let’s not do that again 

Just now, SWSiouxMN said:

This is a game that UND needs to get to build off of what they did against UNI.  

Clean up some things on both sides of the ball and play great on the road for a change. 

Very true

this road game dark cloud performance is a mystery to me. Whatever the problem is we haven’t figured it out. And yes, until we can prove we can win on the road we haven’t. 
I always expect that the next road game is the game we figure it out and this is the next one

Watched the NAU vs SH game Saturday and thought NAU looked tough.  Strong D line, some speedy receivers, big running backs and a good QB. It's going to be a tough game on the road.  Will need to be mentally prepared to go in and play mistake free football.  Can't give up the big plays for scores this week or I think it will cost them in this one.

Offense needs to have Belquist on the field as much as possible.  There were many plays against UNI that the run was so predictable because of the personal on the field.

Red also needs to get more touches.  Very dangerous player with the ball in his hands.

Get the issues fixed on D and another strong performance by Tommy, I think UND wins by 9.

• Upvote 1

UNI is a game we would have lost last year. Tightly played game. One score game. This was a step forward in my opinion.

In the past several year, any time UND has won a game like this and got the fans thinking we were moving in the right direction, they have typically followed it up was a bad loss. One step forward, two steps back. This is the next thing UND needs to handle as a program. Win the games you are supposed to win.

Be the team that took it to Nebraska and played effectively against UNI. Definitely concerned with our DBs right now, so hoping Holinka has some good schemes.

Tommy needs to just replicate his game from last week. No complaints there, but would love to see Maag get in the mix if he can. The guy only has so much time left here and it would be nice to see some more shots down the field.

Anyone hear anything about Smith? He was definitely hobbling a bit on Saturday, hoping he is good to go, but like was Hoosman brings as well. Wouldn't mind mixing in some more Ziebarth.

Unfortunately, I'll likely be watching this one on delay again, as I'll have kids sports all day. Can't wait though!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, YourInSiouxCountry said:

Watched the NAU vs SH game Saturday and thought NAU looked tough.  Strong D line, some speedy receivers, big running backs and a good QB. It's going to be a tough game on the road.  Will need to be mentally prepared to go in and play mistake free football.  Can't give up the big plays for scores this week or I think it will cost them in this one.

Offense needs to have Belquist on the field as much as possible.  There were many plays against UNI that the run was so predictable because of the personal on the field.

Red also needs to get more touches.  Very dangerous player with the ball in his hands.

Get the issues fixed on D and another strong performance by Tommy, I think UND wins by 9.

How did their O line look? Can't imagine they are bigger and tougher than UNI's. Would be great to dial up some pressure early and get in the QB's head.

16 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Looks like ESPN + is the only viewing option. This is a pay for service. Probably others that you can sign up for a weekly trial??

does the big sky conference still on a streaming option for all of their games?

After this Saturday, a lot of our games will be on Midco (home AND away).

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

After this Saturday, a lot of our games will be on Midco (home AND away).

Between B1G, and MVFC game of the week, and now the BSC holding rights to NAU games, we don't get to see the impact of the Midco deal quite yet. 

5 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

UNI is a game we would have lost last year. Tightly played game. One score game. This was a step forward in my opinion.

In the past several year, any time UND has won a game like this and got the fans thinking we were moving in the right direction, they have typically followed it up was a bad loss. One step forward, two steps back. This is the next thing UND needs to handle as a program. Win the games you are supposed to win.

Be the team that took it to Nebraska and played effectively against UNI. Definitely concerned with our DBs right now, so hoping Holinka has some good schemes.

Tommy needs to just replicate his game from last week. No complaints there, but would love to see Maag get in the mix if he can. The guy only has so much time left here and it would be nice to see some more shots down the field.

Anyone hear anything about Smith? He was definitely hobbling a bit on Saturday, hoping he is good to go, but like was Hoosman brings as well. Wouldn't mind mixing in some more Ziebarth.

Unfortunately, I'll likely be watching this one on delay again, as I'll have kids sports all day. Can't wait though!

Would pretty much agree with all of this.  NAU beating Sam Houston definitely has me a little more apprehensive about this game than before the season started.  Time for us to take two steps forward though this time and win this one on the road.  Hope Smith is healthy too but I could see Ziebarth getting some more reps as the year goes on as Smith seems to get hobbled during games.   Hoping we can get Red a little more involved in this game too.  First play of the game last week he took it around the end for 22 yards, had as many yards on that one play as I think we had the rest of the first half on the ground.  Thank goodness we got Hoosman, he has been solid.  He's not a Brady O. but he is tough to bring down.  No matter what happens.....just find a way to win again!! 

15 hours ago, YourInSiouxCountry said:

is it time to say "red your up...maag your sitting this series?"....

maag has been such a disappointment these last couple years...i think red gives us more dynamic options when he's on the field v maag....

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

he doesn't get much done anymore

I would agree.  Although he can only catch the balls that are thrown to him, he hasn't been targeted very much which I'm not sure if that is partially his fault for not getting open, or just the way they are playing him or what.   I don't know why we can't have both Maag and Red on the field at the same time.  Red should be on the field the majority of the time IMO.   I'm thinking....and hoping....Red's role continues to expand as the season goes on.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I would agree.  Although he can only catch the balls that are thrown to him, he hasn't been targeted very much which I'm not sure if that is partially his fault for not getting open, or just the way they are playing him or what.   I don't know why we can't have both Maag and Red on the field at the same time.  Red should be on the field the majority of the time IMO.   I'm thinking....and hoping....Red's role continues to expand as the season goes on.  

I liked Maag in Rudolph's offense his freshman year, where the focus was deep passes off of play action. Even his second year, in Danny's first season as OC, we still ran a lot of power and play action. I just don't think he fits in quite as well with what UND wants to do offensively now, which is spread things around, get guys the ball in space, which is definitely a strength of guys like Bo, Red, and even Jack Wright