SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Northern Arizona 9/17/22

SiouxFan100

I was able to watch some of NAU's game against Sam Houston this afternoon, some things that stuck out to me:

-NAU has a solid linebacking corps, stuffed the middle well. SHSU had more success running outside

-NAU's offensive line is their weakness. Really wide splits, very susceptible to stunts along the d-line

-QB isn't super mobile, but can escape pressure

-NAU RBs didn't get a lot of space to run, going to be important to have consistent tackles and not allow any yards after contact or bounces outside

-Tough to tell how good their secondary is, Sammy's QB used his legs more than he used his arm. Definitely not as good as Schmid was slinging it

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

I was able to watch some of NAU's game against Sam Houston this afternoon, some things that stuck out to me:

-NAU has a solid linebacking corps, stuffed the middle well. SHSU had more success running outside

-NAU's offensive line is their weakness. Really wide splits, very susceptible to stunts along the d-line

-NAU RBs didn't get a lot of space to run, going to be important to have consistent tackles and not allow any yards after contact or bounces outside

-Tough to tell how good their secondary is, Sammy's QB used his legs more than he used his arm. Definitely not as good as Schmid was slinging it

over under on navratil sacks at nau?

im taking the over

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

Yours aligned with my thoughts, too, after watching most of the game. Sammy was undisciplined, as well. 

• Upvote 1

A positive spin on the secondary situation is that the young/new guys will most likely improve fairly quickly as the season goes on. I don’t think they’ve been bad by any means, but you can see they’ve been the weak spot of the defense as most people expected. Couple of them weren’t even here yet in the spring and we’re only two games in. Beat NAU! They’re going to be a tough team to beat on the road 

4 hours ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

I liked Maag in Rudolph's offense his freshman year, where the focus was deep passes off of play action. Even his second year, in Danny's first season as OC, we still ran a lot of power and play action. I just don't think he fits in quite as well with what UND wants to do offensively now, which is spread things around, get guys the ball in space, which is definitely a strength of guys like Bo, Red, and even Jack Wright

Maag never played for Rudolph's offense.  Maag has had a cast leading into the Nebraska game.  Did you see the TD Maag caught against UNI.  His day is coming again.  

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Maag never played for Rudolph's offense.  Maag has had a cast leading into the Nebraska game.  Did you see the TD Maag caught against UNI.  His day is coming again.  

He didn’t have a TD, that was Zavalney I’m guessing you’re thinking of. Hard to differentiate the 39 and 89 with our jerseys

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

UNA is tough to beat at home.  I was at the 2013 and 2018 game.  2013 was a shoot out.  2018 the OL laid down for that game.

I was at that 2018 game too, the only good thing about that game was it was our offense was so pathetic Bubba was finally forced to make a change.   I remember taking a picture of the scoreboard at end of 3rd quarter or end of game........and we had like 3 first down, or only 36 rushing yards or something extremely pathetic like that.  That was a crappy way for Santiago and Brady O. to go out.