SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

Just now, dden3 said:

I think they’ve probably learned some lessons about overusing the portal. I hope so anyway. 

Unfortunately they're gonna be forced to go portal for a goalie and dmen next season regardless unless they pick up some late bloomer recruits this summer.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Are you suggesting the program isn't in as bad of shape as it looks?

It ain't awesome, that's assured.

But no it's nowhere near the impending nuclear explosion reverberating in this echo chamber..

Nor is it duckys and bunnies  "just about" to mmake the second half run to a title that the facebook Gaberbutlickers are assuring us of.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frozen4sioux said:

It ain't awesome, that's assured.

But no it's nowhere near the impending nuclear explosion reverberating in this echo chamber..

Nor is it duckys and bunnies  "just about" to mmake the second half run to a title that the facebook Gaberbutlickers are assuring us of.

Nobody over there is suggesting the second half surge is starting next Friday…they’re too busy b*tching and moaning about this past weekend’s officiating for that. 

• Like 1

Just now, Wilbur said:

My sources say....ja...that two new portal goalies enter the fold.  Haven't heard anything on the Swede leaving though.

I could see them keeping four goalies on roster again...Johnson, Hellsten, and two new goalies. 
And then Hedquist plays one more year of juniors?

On 12/4/2022 at 4:42 AM, MafiaMan said:

Follow-up to that:

Quinnipiac Friday:  3 

Quinnipiac Saturday:  5

Arizona State Saturday:  3

Denver Saturday:  3 

Miami Saturday:  3 

St. Cloud Friday:  6 

St. Cloud Saturday:  6 

Western Michigan Friday:  4

Western Michigan Saturday:  4 

Denver Saturday:  3 

Updated stat:  10 times this season, North Dakota has given up 3 or more goals in a stretch of a hockey game.  Quinnipiac was a long time ago…you think the situation would have been discussed by now with the team, but maybe that’s just me.

5 hours ago, brianvf said:

I could see them keeping four goalies on roster again...Johnson, Hellsten, and two new goalies. 
And then Hedquist plays one more year of juniors?

Hedquist turns 20 on Tuesday of this week so he could play another year in the BCHL if the coaches so desire.  

12 hours ago, brianvf said:

Unfortunately they're gonna be forced to go portal for a goalie and dmen next season regardless unless they pick up some late bloomer recruits this summer.

Agreed. Their pipeline isn’t deep enough and some of the recruits simply aren’t ready. Hopefully they can bring someone in with at least two years of eligibility. Next year may be more of the same, but if they can start hammering the recruiting trail I think they can bounce back in two years 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Wilbur said:

My sources say....ja...that two new portal goalies enter the fold.  Haven't heard anything on the Swede leaving though. 

For real, they would bring in two portal goalies?  How does Duluth get Gajan, and we are sitting here possibly needing to be bringing in two portals?  Doing that would be admitting total whiff on recruiting.  Would think Karl would be having a lot of input on goaltending recruiting and developing them, so how did we get to this place?

• Upvote 1

Tough times. Here's the good news. Fortunately, UND has advantages that most teams do not. They are still a Top 5 destination for recruits. The overall recruiting pipeline is solid and although I do not like the transfer portal, it's an advantage for UND. A bounce back is likely. Here's the bad news. The coaching staff. UND has an extremely average coaching staff. When you have average coaching abilities, but you can get talent, you're still going to win for the most part. We're looking based on a pretty good sample size, that they'll make the playoffs slightly over half the time. 

The other down Berry years have never felt like this. This is just not a fun team to follow. It really is unfair and unfortunate, but a lot of the frustration for me is falling on the 5th year guys. I would rather see 29 or 18 than 10. 11 for 19. 6 for 3. I've never felt like the development of players is really being hindered like I do this year.

Very important offseason is ahead. With the advantages they have, a turnaround is likely if they nail it. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, AJS said:

Tough times. Here's the good news. Fortunately, UND has advantages that most teams do not. They are still a Top 5 destination for recruits. The overall recruiting pipeline is solid and although I do not like the transfer portal, it's an advantage for UND. A bounce back is likely. Here's the bad news. The coaching staff. UND has an extremely average coaching staff. When you have average coaching abilities, but you can get talent, you're still going to win for the most part. We're looking based on a pretty good sample size, that they'll make the playoffs slightly over half the time. 

The other down Berry years have never felt like this. This is just not a fun team to follow. It really is unfair and unfortunate, but a lot of the frustration for me is falling on the 5th year guys. I would rather see 29 or 18 than 10. 11 for 19. 6 for 3. I've never felt like the development of players is really being hindered like I do this year.

Very important offseason is ahead. With the advantages they have, a turnaround is likely if they nail it. 

We have always told ourselves our recruiting pipeline is solid 

and look what always happens

11 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

We have always told ourselves our recruiting pipeline is solid 

and look what always happens

This year does feel different than the previous years where Berry's teams missed the playoffs. I would say that was a talent issue. That Poolman class overall was BAD. This year, I'm convinced it's not talent this year. I would pin this one on coaching. The development for some players (ex: Schmaltz, Johnson, Constantini) has been shocking. Clearly the team has tuned them out, because that's the only explanation for the same mistakes happening over and over. 

Let's endure these next few weeks. The season will thankfully be over soon. Start fresh next year with a new leadership group. 

As much as goaltender is a concern, the defense is just as much.

2, 3, and 7 are out of eligibility. 25 will surely sign. The 6 situation is curious at best; he'll leave. 

That leaves 4 and 24, ... and 15 has a Covid year to use.

We need 15 back badly. 

• Upvote 3