SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

42 minutes ago, AJS said:

Been saying it for months. Bring all four in. 

B008A859-5BAA-4F43-B5E3-9E89D70EBC0E.jpeg

Its easy to look at incoming players and think, "we are going to have some serious skill". It's kind of like signing day for college football or the NFL draft .... We're all excited for the shiny new toys that are going to bring home the hardware. Of course, there are never any guarantees .... Cichy, Hoff, Wilkie; but if you look at the whole of that list and think we have 4 guys that could potentially come in the same year, all putting up that kind of production (and there is some great company on that list) it is tough not to be excited. Especially given what UND is returning. No guarantees in college hockey, as has previously been discussed with SCSU's let down season, but I'll admit I am pretty hopeful and pretty positive on our chances next year.

We had a rough stretch for a few year in missing the tourney and the Covid year where we had a team that had almost no NCAA tourney experience, which seems almost impossible with this program. Hopefully this team is rebuilding to being that contender that is not only in tourney every year, but a legitimate Frozen Four contender ever year (even as a lower seed). NCAA tourney experience definitely helps, and I think you could see that as a factor in the DU/Mankato game.

Looking forward to seeing a final roster and hoping that some of these new kids can really hit the ground running at UND. Winning another title would be fun, but winning a couple would be great!

49 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Its easy to look at incoming players and think, "we are going to have some serious skill". It's kind of like signing day for college football or the NFL draft .... We're all excited for the shiny new toys that are going to bring home the hardware. Of course, there are never any guarantees .... Cichy, Hoff, Wilkie; but if you look at the whole of that list and think we have 4 guys that could potentially come in the same year, all putting up that kind of production (and there is some great company on that list) it is tough not to be excited. Especially given what UND is returning. No guarantees in college hockey, as has previously been discussed with SCSU's let down season, but I'll admit I am pretty hopeful and pretty positive on our chances next year.

We had a rough stretch for a few year in missing the tourney and the Covid year where we had a team that had almost no NCAA tourney experience, which seems almost impossible with this program. Hopefully this team is rebuilding to being that contender that is not only in tourney every year, but a legitimate Frozen Four contender ever year (even as a lower seed). NCAA tourney experience definitely helps, and I think you could see that as a factor in the DU/Mankato game.

Looking forward to seeing a final roster and hoping that some of these new kids can really hit the ground running at UND. Winning another title would be fun, but winning a couple would be great!

Didn't Mankato have as much, if not more NCAA tourney experience than Denver?

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Didn't Mankato have as much, if not more NCAA tourney experience than Denver?

Since 2017-18:

DU -- 1 and done, lost in the Frozen Four Semi, didn't make the tourney - 2-2 record, missed one season

Mankato -- 1 and done, 1 and done, Lost in Frozen Four semi -- 2-3 record, made the tourney every year possible.

So, Mankato actually had a little more.

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Spicer should have been brought in over Hain or Senden. Rock paper scissors....loser packs it up.

#bumblingBerry

I would have brought him in over strinden tbh 

in all seriousness, playing a year in the ushl would not have hurt spicer whatsoever. However he’s played against ushl comp for two years and played a half season against college teams. In his head he’s ready for a new challenge.

1 minute ago, cberkas said:

Didn’t need to bring back 2 4th liners for a 5th year just to keep a recruit in juniors that just ends up decommitting.

Bingo. Hain and senden are probably more effective next year (maybe) but to lose 4 years of an arguably higher end offensive kid is tough. Especially a local kid. I’m next to positive he was told he was coming in earlier..then they pulled the rug out.