SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

3 minutes ago, mattim said:

Question, did I hear correctly that the current portal has a deadline in early May? If so what happens to those who have entered the portal and have not found a new home yet? 

If you enter the portal after May 1 you fall back under the old "must sit out a transfer season" transfer rule. (That's for fall/winter sports; for spring sports the deadline is July 1.)

17 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

The player I want to see play smarter next year is Jandric. Maybe I'm being petty, but I go back to two points on the season with him.

The spearing call against SCSU, which was obvious and deliberate. That is the kind of crap I hate seeing in hockey, especially from UND. When I saw it I was actually hoping he would get 5 and the game because I hate that kind of stuff. Glad it was called the right way.

Then there was the penalty in OT against Notre Dame. Have to use your head a bit and consider the timing of the game. I'm not going to put it all on him and say that cost us the game, but it certainly didn't help us.

I wish the whole team had a bit more discipline - like we saw with Mankato - they play hard and physical but no stupid penalties.  How many times did we take really inopportune penalties this year?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Irish said:

I wish the whole team had a bit more discipline - like we saw with Mankato - they play hard and physical but no stupid penalties.  How many times did we take really inopportune penalties this year?

Absolutely! There were a lot of dumb penalties at dumb times. Those were just a few that stood out to me.

13 minutes ago, Irish said:

Hastings does something to make them understand and not let it happen more than once! 

18 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Then there was the penalty in OT against Notre Dame. Have to use your head a bit and consider the timing of the game. I'm not going to put it all on him and say that cost us the game, but it certainly didn't help us.

Start at 2:30 mark here: https://www.ncaa.com/video/icehockey-men/2022-03-24/notre-dame-defeats-north-dakota-ot-thriller 

Did Jandric need to knock his man down?

I think it was more of an "oops" reaction after he whiffed on the puck.
(Was Jandric just coming off the bench? That was a terrible whiff.) 

Notes from video:

• The Notre Dame guy had to re-path to get around Jandric no matter what, which would slow him down. 
  • Frisch had already flipped his hips and was doing the edgework to get down ice at time of whiff.
  • The puck was slow; Frisch got to it at half-speed at the circles; if Ethan had been digging he'd have been to the puck at the blue line, about the same time as a Domer would've, and he'd have had a decent angle on a Domer. 

Jandric should've trusted his teammates (Frisch, and Driscoll) to cover for him. 

But, that water is already over the dam and under the bridge. :( 

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Start at 2:30 mark here: https://www.ncaa.com/video/icehockey-men/2022-03-24/notre-dame-defeats-north-dakota-ot-thriller 

Did Jandric need to knock his man down?

I think it was more of an "oops" reaction after he whiffed on the puck.
(Was Jandric just coming off the bench? That was a terrible whiff.) 

Notes from video:

• The Notre Dame guy had to re-path to get around Jandric no matter what, which would slow him down. 
  • Frisch had already flipped his hips and was doing the edgework to get down ice at time of whiff.
  • The puck was slow; Frisch got to it at half-speed at the circles; if Ethan had been digging he'd have been to the puck at the blue line, about the same time as a Domer would've, and he'd have had a decent angle on a Domer. 

Jandric should've trusted his teammates (Frisch, and Driscoll) to cover for him. 

But, that water is already over the dam and under the bridge. :( 

Definitely a panic move by Jandric, but he likely felt he was about to give away a breakaway in OT. So, my guess, is he made the move to prevent a breakaway. If they don't score on the PP, it's the right move. C'est la vie.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

If you enter the portal after May 1 you fall back under the old "must sit out a transfer season" transfer rule. (That's for fall/winter sports; for spring sports the deadline is July 1.)

Yep, gonna see a lot of action these last few weeks in April!

1 hour ago, tnt said:

If only he had taken the time to calculate the square root of the hypotenuse and how the angle of the others would have picked up for him!

The Domer's travel path would've been closer to a inverse hyperbolic cosecant. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

We will be strong defensively ... 

We return basically the same defense and arguably no better (maybe lesser) goaltending, and the team was 20th in fewest goals allowed per game last season. 

There's work to be done there as well. 

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/stats/

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

We return basically the same defense and arguably no better (maybe lesser) goaltending, and the team was 20th in fewest goals allowed per game last season. 

Stay out of the box.

It's possible, witness Purple Cows last night.

Exception to the rule*, courtesy MSUM

*the obligatory 3rd period Goof PP (or two)

22 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

I think he signs a pro deal somewhere. If he is back I think he ends up playing bottom 6 fit wise just lacking a little bit of playmaking ability and speed wise. It is probably me hoping and thinking more of the skill we are bringing in with Blake, McLaughlin, and hopefully James needing to be top 6 guys to be a more explosive offensive team.

Just never really loved Calder's fit here especially looking toward next season. Not upset at all to see him hit the portal and open up a spot for someone like James or Spicer.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

After New Years, when the roster started to play solid team defense, we were more like 2.2 (40 goals last 18 games); that's more like top-ten nationally.  And that's with a tough NCHC schedule.

But count me as a little nervous about goaltending.  Its the unknown for 22-23.

14 minutes ago, AJS said:

I don't like that Calder was the first piece to move out. I'm withholding overall judgement though until I see the next couple moves Berry makes.

Why? He needs to be a Top 6 and he wasn't going to be this season. It's a smart move for him.

7 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Was Calder forced out? He’s a good hockey player. I think we are better with him than without him.

Agreed.
Would rather we see 1-2 other players enter the portal before him.
He could have been a 15-20 goal scorer for us next season.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Why? He needs to be a Top 6 and he wasn't going to be this season. It's a smart move for him.

Two reasons. The biggest is the thought of, what if he's the only guy to the portal. That is why I wrote it as not liking that Calder was the first piece. Second being, I wrote yesterday that I like him as a 3rd line guy on a really good team. He's not a Top 6 guy. I do think he could be an effective 3rd liner. 

• Like 1