SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. WMU -- Frozen Faceoff Semis

stoneySIOUX

2 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

I don't see many red flags.  By rights Ford scores if he handled the puck and elevates it and we go to ot.  I think for as short handed as we were it makes more optimistic than anything.  We did not get blown out and were getting most of our injured players back for the NCAA's.  Not having Albrecht was huge.  That 4th line was scoring almost a goal a game lately.  The sky is not falling so call off chicken little.

Not having Albrecht isn't as big of a deal as you're making it. There are massive red flags surrounding this team regarding special teams.

8 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

Not having Albrecht isn't as big of a deal as you're making it. There are massive red flags surrounding this team regarding special teams.

I guess I disagree.  Everyone including me was saying the sky was falling when we went on our skid.  We lost 4-2 and should have capitalized on a couple golden chances and we go to ot playing with a severely depleted team.  I see positives not negatives.  You are wrong about Albrecht not being a big loss as that 4th line with him seperating people from the puck had them being difference makers when the 3 are intact.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Two plays where they stuck their legs out could have taken a knee but other than that attempted slew foot on Driscoll was the only other dirty play tonight.

Wasn't a slew foot on Driscoll.

2 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

I guess I disagree.  Everyone including me was saying the sky was falling when we went on our skid.  We lost 3-2 and should have capitalized on a couple golden chances and we go to ot playing with a severely depleted team.  I see positives not negatives.  You are wrong about Albrecht not being a big loss as that 4th line with him seperating people from the puck had them being difference makers when the 3 are intact.

If Hain is healthy, then one of those three is a healthy scratch, so they're not as impressive as you're making them sound.

10 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Two plays where they stuck their legs out could have taken a knee but other than that attempted slew foot on Driscoll was the only other dirty play tonight.

So how many cheap plays does it take?

The margin for error this year is razor thin.  Our best chance at a natty is to get a favorable draw.  If we face teams that have a lot of speed we are apt to struggle…doesn’t mean we can’t win but it will be tough.  IMO, this years team is just not quite fast or quick enough and lacks some high end offensive players.  Couple that with a below average penalty kill and it’s easy to see why our goal differential is not what we have come to expect.  We will need to win games 2-1 and to do that in the playoffs we need to limit mistakes and win the special teams battle. 
The bad news is that we are definitely not the best team in the NC$$ tourney. The good news is the best team doesn’t win too often. 

• Upvote 1

Connor Ford came to UND to play in games like last night. Minus not converting the tap in to tie it in the 3rd he was terrific. He's fun to watch.

Judd was really good...in stretches.

Gaber got a little better as the game went on. Frisch was well......uffff. Both need to be better for this team to have any chance next game but that could also be said for a few others.

Moore quietly had a very nice game as well.

Ultimately starting Thursday or Friday Driscoll is the key. He needs to be razor sharp.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

As the box score shows UND with another major........

Well the box score didn’t tell me how the Western player turned to the boards at the last second...I thought it should have been two minutes but...I guess I just really didn’t care for the tripping on Driscoll when he came out to play the puck.  Seemed like there were several plays where Western was sticking out a foot, leg, etc to get a piece of a Sioux player.  
That’s all, they won, live to fight at least one more day.

I think WMU was impressive and could win some games.  They play a heavy, heavy game, and UND could not handle it in the last half of the second.  It was men against boys, physically.  They will be a load, tough to handle for a lot of teams.  Including UND.  That said, UND has beaten them, so it can be done.

Wow, this UND team plays the least skilled game I've seen from the program in a long, long time.  They seem built for a north south, in your face, aggressive, chaos-causing game.  But the PPs really highlighted the lack of finesse.  They're going to have to dial it to 11 to make it work next week. 

6 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Well the box score didn’t tell me how the Western player turned to the boards at the last second...I thought it should have been two minutes but...I guess I just really didn’t care for the tripping on Driscoll when he came out to play the puck.  Seemed like there were several plays where Western was sticking out a foot, leg, etc to get a piece of a Sioux player.  

Not any different then the CC player last week turning at the last moment, sure it was boarding but not cfb, and yet they review these and still can’t make the correct call. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Not disagreeing one bit.......but when UND gets a major every other game at some point that has to be recognized for what it is.