SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-2023 Season

SWSiouxMN

I was afraid this was going to happen again at KC we have hard time matching up with them especially on the road. Again we did not have good offensive game and we need to play better offensively to play defensively. Last year when we played this road trip we looked tired and tonight we did again. Second when we go south we get different style of reffing which we are not used to I se it both in the men and women’s games. The sad part we now go to ORU next and this is another team we don’t match up to very well. I thought tonight when we pressed with Beal on the point we were starting to turn things around. Beal needs to work on her shooting if part of her game would come around she could become feared player in the Summit. Somebody scoffed at KC earlier on the board but they may want to rethink that especially when they are at home.

ORU is going to be very difficult game for us today and we are going to need to play offense today and as well as defense. This is exact type of team we have hard time matching up against they are long and fast team built to beat us and match very well against SDSU which they proved early in the season. If we are to beat this team, we will need to shoot ball well and get them in foul trouble early. I think our freshmen are going to need play some significant minutes and make jump in their level of play. If other players on team can create some offense this would help Kacie create her offense and have much higher shooting percentage because we need to start improving out percentage this has been reason for the close games. This should be fun game to watch.

The lack of height on front line is showing especially on the road. All conference losses this season have one thing in common we are getting out rebounded on the road and we are getting more fouls in our attempts to box out and when we do loose the rebound on defensive end were also picking up additional foul defending. Today with size and length that ORU had it showed very much. The pressure we showed getting back into the game was great, but we need to be able to expect and play our taller younger players expect quality minutes out them. They are showing improvement to week to week but i still believe they needed to play more minutes in the preseason to help these players get farther along for the conference season. Bernhard will need to recruit some more length either through the portal or with high school recruits that she has the confidence in making the jump to college basketball. With the exception of South Dakota all our losses are to teams that have length and athleticism we haven't had people to match up with them. Also, other conference teams have seen this weakness and are game planning with their teams to take advantage of this weakness. This why we experienced such close games with Ohama and Denver they used their size against us. I believe the key for us down the stretch will be how effective Beal, Hurst, VanderWall, and McCarthy can step up play quality minutes to help relieve our starters down low. This means not just playing defense but also to provide some offense to free up Kacie and others, so they won't be double teamed. Since Kacie was freshmen, we were strong our frontline but couldn't get good guard play and now we are totally opposite.

Yes, I have to agree we need to beat the bison especially if we want to finish in the top three in the conference. We also need to split the next weeks home games with South Dakota teams ideally would be to sweep but we will need to start playing much better basketball than we have last few weeks to do this. If we don't, we could have hard time matching last year's conference record at 9-9. We currently sit at 4-0 at home and 0-5 on the road if we lose all to Dakota schools this would bring us down to 4-3 record and us then needing to sweep both ORU and KC to improve our home record to 6-3 improvement over last year by a game. This is not to mention we need to sweep our four remaining road games to match last year's record 4-5. This next two weeks games are now very critical if we are going to improve on last year record and move up in the conference. I believe we can do this, but our team level of play needs to step up and will require total team effort going forward.

I went back and reviewed game footage she was at the Ohama game and was dressed but at the Denver game she was not dressed. Then on this road trip she was not dressed or even sitting with the team. I find this unusual and there was no mention of it by announcers for the Denver game at home. It could be explained by any number of reasons for not being at the games but usually if there's valid reason for missing there is some mention of it to the public. I sure hope that it's not case of quitting for whatever reason. She has been valuable for the team but i have seen her minutes have been reduced by additional time for Manson and Beal lately. It's ironic that she disappeared after Beal's 10-point game and extra playing time. I still think she was going to get playing time going into the future and again next year with departure of several seniors, so I hope she is still with the team. UND could do much better job of communicating with public and then we wouldn't have all these rumors and people wondering what's happening. It doesn't have to be lengthy explanation just simple statement on the subject, and it would go away.