SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-2023 Season

SWSiouxMN

Kacie should have had few assists with blown layups on some nice feeds. This game mirrors several of our losses against teams with length in that we control the game too late. I think size wears us down it shows up in our rebounding and our defense gettin in foul trouble. If we’re going to be factor against these teams our freshmen are going to need to step up and begin to play more minutes for us. Mallory is good coach but she has fault in playing starting five large minutes and I think Jory has taken advantage of this over the years. I do think we can take them at home if we’re healthy at that time.

SDSU looks to be to much for us. I don’t get it now we are playing the freshmen with the regulars why didn’t we do this preconference season. It looks like we’re going to be at the best 5 th seed in the conference and what I was afraid of is we need at least one more experienced post player. The Summit conference looks to be above average in quality teams.

7 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

SDSU looks to be to much for us. I don’t get it now we are playing the freshmen with the regulars why didn’t we do this preconference season. It looks like we’re going to be at the best 5 th seed in the conference and what I was afraid of is we need at least one more experienced post player. The Summit conference looks to be above average in quality teams.

They will finish in the top 4.  

• Upvote 1

You forget about ORU we will have tuff game against them on the road. They are another team with length and have quick guards and we will have hard time matching up against them.  I also think we may have another loss or two against rest of the league. This is best team we have had in the Summit and if we were in the Big Sky we would be contending for title. I look at this team we are just lack length and athleticism in front line to compete n the Summit. That is my opinion and I will still be rooting them hoping they are better than what I think. I was really impressed with Aumer today she’s going to become very good point guard. Hurst and Beal are also going to be very good players just need to work on their play which is experience. Vanderwall should continue to improve but will struggle when she has to play against Mobil post players. I thought so at beginning of the year we could become number two team and no worse than third but watching them I think we will have to fight hard to be fifth seed just my opinion. Bernhard is going to have as good a recruiting class this coming year or even better if she wants us  to catch up with SDSU looking at talent they brought in this year.

17 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

You forget about ORU we will have tuff game against them on the road. They are another team with length and have quick guards and we will have hard time matching up against them.  I also think we may have another loss or two against rest of the league. This is best team we have had in the Summit and if we were in the Big Sky we would be contending for title. I look at this team we are just lack length and athleticism in front line to compete n the Summit. That is my opinion and I will still be rooting them hoping they are better than what I think. I was really impressed with Aumer today she’s going to become very good point guard. Hurst and Beal are also going to be very good players just need to work on their play which is experience. Vanderwall should continue to improve but will struggle when she has to play against Mobil post players. I thought so at beginning of the year we could become number two team and no worse than third but watching them I think we will have to fight hard to be fifth seed just my opinion. Bernhard is going to have as good a recruiting class this coming year or even better if she wants us  to catch up with SDSU looking at talent they brought in this year.

So basically, #SSDD then. :angry:

43 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

The same Oral Bob that lost to a winless KC squad?

My expectation is a sweep.  Take the next step.

25 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So basically, #SSDD then. :angry:

Nyet!  They will finish with a better conference record this year. 

• Upvote 1

Omaha vs. UND, we need to get back on track tonight and regain some of their confidence in playing defense and to score the basketball. This is very winnable game if we play defense and limit our turnovers. We should be quicker on front line which should offset their size at center and i believe that VanderWall could get some playing time against Pilakouta would give her some experience playing against physical center but one she should be quicker and have height advantage against. Gordon should be able to front her and if brings ball down have very good chance of stealing the ball. Hurst should be able to play physical with her and be way quicker on offense and Pilakouta comes out to defend should result in layup for her or assist if somebody comes over and helps. At the guard level we will be challenged because very quick and will need to get back on defense. I believe this should be double digit win for us and if not i will be surprised.

We’re going to need to work on our offense we had several bad games of shooting can’t rely on defense to win on always. When we played against good offensive teams the past two weeks if you get down you have to score to get into the game. Glad to see us playing some of our young talent. The game is starting to slow down for them. Beal is starting to show why she was highly reguarded recruit. She gives us more length and no doubt she is very athletic. We were very lucky to win this game and we still have to go there. We are going to have to keep winning at home to improve our conference record over last year.

I think two things can be true here:

1) That wasn't their best game and there are some things they will need to work on to get the offense back in sync but.

2) That was a game they lose last year, and probabaly by double figures.  This is a better team.  Orth, Gordon and Vanderwal made some clutch plays on the defensive side of the ball at the end of the game. Their ability to turn the other team over this year has really helped (and one of the biggest reasons why they won last night).

I hope that this is the game that gets Beal going for the 2nd half of the year, she would be a huge asset.  Hope Hurst can find her success that she was having a few weeks ago again.

I really hope that Kacie can find her shot from distance, that will really help to open her game up again.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, petey23 said:

Sadly, I am not sure there is such a thing as a "clear travel" in basketball anymore. The average college basketball game probably has 35-40 uncalled clear travels a game.

That was one of my questions after watching the NDSU and UND game, the refs let it go or don't call it very often, but this is from the perspective of a former Football players that doesn't always understand basketball rules. I guess, I am not the only one that has seen this recently. 

6 hours ago, petey23 said:

Sadly I am not sure there is such a thing as a "clear travel" in basketball anymore. The average college basketball game probably has 35-40 uncalled clear travels a game.

Point well taken in that traveling is too often missed or not called. I didn’t notice it until they showed the replay but she clearly took 3 steps.