SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

All right, 2 games into ‘second season’ and here are my thoughts:

Offense - carrying the load for the team.  Averaging 30 points and it’s saving our bacon.  I wish we had one more consistent dynamic playmaker.  Seems like consistent production drops off after Belquist and Hoosman.  The absence of Skokna is really noticeable.  Would also like someone like Elijah Kline to become our Kraft or Luepke.

Defense - The offseason losses are absolutely killing our ability to put teams away.  This year’s defense is a huge liability.  I thought by now we’d be starting to figure things out, but a lot of work needs to be done here.  IF we make the playoffs, we will be one and done if this defense doesn’t improve.  Lots of glaring problems, but they’ve been identified elsewhere, so I won’t elaborate.

Special Teams - Kind of the Jekyll and Hyde of the team.  One minute their blocking punts for touchdowns and downing punts at 1 yard line, the next their allowing 90 yard kickoff returns and missing 40 yard field goals.  So far, their assets have been stronger than their liabilities, but at some point they will end up losing the game for us at an inopportune time.

Other thoughts - Impressed with the discipline of the team.  It seems that most of the time there’s a flag thrown, it’s against the other team.

I thought defense would be better by now.  It’s not good.  Thought the losses from last season would have been overcome, at times it’s just ugly.

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

All right, 2 games into ‘second season’ and here are my thoughts:

Offense - carrying the load for the team.  Averaging 30 points and it’s saving our bacon.  I wish we had one more consistent dynamic playmaker.  Seems like consistent production drops off after Belquist and Hoosman.  The absence of Skokna is really noticeable.  Would also like someone like Elijah Kline to become our Kraft or Luepke.

Defense - The offseason losses are absolutely killing our ability to put teams away.  This year’s defense is a huge liability.  I thought by now we’d be starting to figure things out, but a lot of work needs to be done here.  IF we make the playoffs, we will be one and done if this defense doesn’t improve.  Lots of glaring problems, but they’ve been identified elsewhere, so I won’t elaborate.

Special Teams - Kind of the Jekyll and Hyde of the team.  One minute their blocking punts for touchdowns and downing punts at 1 yard line, the next their allowing 90 yard kickoff returns and missing 40 yard field goals.  So far, their assets have been stronger than their liabilities, but at some point they will end up losing the game for us at an inopportune time.

Other thoughts - Impressed with the discipline of the team.  It seems that most of the time there’s a flag thrown, it’s against the other team.

Thoughts on your thoughts:

offense - Schuster, Hoosman, and Belquist are stars. Agree there should be one more big time playmaker, doubt it will be Klein, at least not at a “Luepke level”. Hoosman will graduate after this season, next up will be either Isaiah Smith, Ziebarth, or someone not on roster? Red Wilson might be in line for breakout season next year in lieu of Hoosman. Freund is a good coach, really only one of the staff I trust when it comes down to crunch time. 

defense - worst unit on the team. Sad reality given tradition of UND football. Off-season loses aren’t as much of an excuse anymore given the transfer portal. Staff should have prepared better for this. it’s on them somewhat. Honestly, as I said yesterday, everyone and everything needs to be looked at closely: players, coaches, schemes, approach to recruiting, etc. 

Special teams - at times it’s good, but I think it’s net negative effect. Can’t trust the kicker at all, and so many bone headed decisions at times. Ultimately, the lack of a trusted kicker is a huge issue. 

14 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I will admit while not being anti-Tommy I wasn’t fully on board til this year. His ability to keep plays alive with his feet and find receivers is top shelf. 

When Tommy's done playing at und, it might be a long time before we find a quarterback with his combination of good decision-making, completion percentage, and elusiveness.

• Upvote 1

On 10/29/2022 at 8:55 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Earl Strinden left fiscal structures to be proud of (UNDAA&F and REA). 

(I personally didn't always agree with Earl.) 

I'd agree on the former, less so the latter.  REAs benefits see extremely one sided to the family. Earl seemed to have a blind spot with Ralph. 

I think politics are also a big reason why arguably the schools most prominent alum (certainly athletically) has almost zero visible connection to the University. 

On 10/29/2022 at 9:26 AM, UND-FB-FAN said:

And this is ultimately the approach the UND decision makers have taken, at this point. In the past, baseball and W hockey were “torn down”.

There’s only a finite amount of resources for all programs, so it’s crucial future allocation doesn’t continue to go towards hockey, but rather towards football. 

Actually basketball would be a much better return buts it's not like we have any history or prominent alums in that sport. ;)

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

The defense is not good this year and the cupboard looks really bad at safety and OLB. Bubba has recruited 1 legit safety as a coach. I just don’t get it. And OLB is easy to recruit, we should be an absolute OLB factory.

It’s frustrating. This 3-4 system brags and preaches on how important the safety position is to it, and yet this is what we get …

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

3-4 system

I like the fact that our defense is unique from most other systems, but the cracks that have been developing for a while seem to be getting wider.  I am not a proponent of switching systems, but I'd like our system to work better.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I like the fact that our defense is unique from most other systems, but the cracks that have been developing for a while seem to be getting wider.  I am not a proponent of switching systems, but I'd like our system to work better.  

I wish we’d just do a 4 man front that puts less pressure on our d backs.

• Like 1

Defense has been very disappointing to me. I get the struggles, but like others, by this time of the year, like to see a little progression. What I am struggling to understand is UND had such a run of consistent kickers, even in the Mussman era. What happened to that. Stevens has come a ways, so I'll give him credit, but he is a senior.