SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

51 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Seriously?
Have you missed the news this week? 
Bresciani left Cook a hot steaming turd sandwich.

You say "not fraught with concerns and controversy".
Even ... < gasp > ... NDSU Football is under budget review. 

I say there's "concerns and controversy" at NDSU when the NDSU Engineering school had $942,000.00 lopped from their budget* by the provost yesterday. Their Pharm school class is half the size of just a few years ago. And the ugly hits are still coming. 

*it's good to know people who know people

@The Sicatoka- this is exactly what I was referring to. Why would you paint the picture I’m not aware of this? Trying to fit your own narrative? I adjusted the wording of my comment to make it more clear. What do you think “look no further than their recent presidency change” means? 

I know a lot of people behind the scenes in regards to this - heard about the issues a year before Bresciani‘s contract wasn’t renewed. Interestingly, a lot of this is indirectly related to NDSU’s football funding structure. That’s all I can say about that. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

@The Sicatoka- this is exactly what I was referring to. Why would you paint the picture I’m not aware of this? 

Because you said, ... but there (sic) system is certainly not fraught with concerns and controversy. Look no further than their recent presidency change." 

If you said that cynically you need to do a better job showing it because it does not come through with the written word alone. (One "rolleyes" emoji goes miles.) 

6 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I know a lot of people behind the scenes in regards to this - heard about the issues a year before Bresciani‘s contract wasn’t renewed. Interestingly, a lot of this is indirectly related to NDSU’s football funding structure. That’s all I can say about that. 

So why be more like NDSU if they have funding structure issues? 

46 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Given UND Hockey has been the region's exception since the late 1970s, and both NDSU and SDSU had declining enrollment this fall*, I'd go with what's worked. 

Earl Strinden (RIP) set up the UND Alumni Association and Foundation. Look at the good things that has done. Earl was part of setting up the REA fiscal organizations. I do not believe he did that in a manner to harm UND. (Words I never thought I'd type follow, because Earl besides being a UND backer was a politician) ---  I trust what Earl Strinden left behind. 

*UND grew slightly. 

NDSU and SDSU relatively speaking had declining attendance; but overall, they’ve done well. With that said, UND’s overall structure and sustainability is superior, but can it be improved for the long-run? Absolutely it can be, hence my previous comments. 

Are you implying by the second paragraph that I don’t think the UND alumni foundation has not done good things. Of course it has. 

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Because you said, ... but there (sic) system is certainly not fraught with concerns and controversy. Look no further than their recent presidency change." 

If you said that cynically you need to do a better job showing it because it does not come through with the written word alone. (One "rolleyes" emoji goes miles.) 

I’ll work on my emoji game. Admittedly, it’s not a strong suit. 

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Are you implying by the second paragraph that I don’t think the UND alumni foundation has not done good things. Of course it has. 

Earl Strinden left fiscal structures to be proud of (UNDAA&F and REA). 

(I personally didn't always agree with Earl.) 

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

So why be more like NDSU if they have funding structure issues? 

NDSU crossed the line, but ultimately, UND still needs to find more balance. NDSU’s issue still doesn’t proclaim pubic-private partnerships (like UND-REA, inc.) as being without concern.

Saying UND should be like NDSU is an oversimplification of my thoughts. UND needs to have complete autonomy of their athletic department and better emphasize football and basketball, even if that means pulling back from hockey a bit. That’s all.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

... better emphasize football and basketball, even if that means pulling back from hockey a bit. That’s all.

I have no problem trying to raise FB and BB, but you'll be hard-pressed to convince me to pull back from what has been built into a top five in the nation program. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I have no problem trying to raise FB and BB, but you'll be hard-pressed to convince me to pull back from what has been built into a top five in the nation program. 

Not sure retracting funding from the “top five” hockey program will hurt them much. They’ve been within their niche for decades. 

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Not sure retracting funding from the “top five” hockey program will hurt them much. They’ve been within their niche for decades. 

Will shifting budget get the same ROI? That's a dangerous game to be playing. And the fall can be fast, see: Wisconsin, Boston College. 

And there's a funding and facilities war in that "niche" as much as any sport. 

You can't build up by tearing down. 

24 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

You can't build up by tearing down. 

And this is ultimately the approach the UND decision makers have taken, at this point. In the past, baseball and W hockey were “torn down”.

There’s only a finite amount of resources for all programs, so it’s crucial future allocation doesn’t continue to go towards hockey, but rather towards football. 

• Upvote 1

I am probably wrong but last year without Maag, and Otis distraction,  we were not where we could have been and we lost close games to playoff teams. Counting Spring season defense played fairly well. 

This year we lose Weah and Skokna (injury) but gained a gem with Hoosman and Maag is back and Bo is doing very well. Tommy playing even better this season.  Along with our other running backs contributing.  The O-Line is playing better then expected this season (because of youth) However, we lost some good D-Backs this year because of transfer portal and we are weaker there this season. If they would have stayed I think we could be get by with more blitzing (pressure defense which we were are known for).  I do think our defensive coaches are working their butts off trying to scheme, not give up the quick big play and be solid against the run (though big pass plays happen due to lack of pressure) and try to make teams earn their drives. Special teams, I will not elaborate too much, except we need to be more consistent….to the good.

Nebraska loss - we played hard, had some early chances and lost

SIU - played like a playoff game where we played tight both sides of ball and lost

SDSU - Started strong, but a veteran team with deep playoff runs showed why they win

5-3, where I hoped we will be, with the potential of going to Fargo 7-3 record playing a rivalry game for for possible higher seating for playoffs. 

We control what we can control, keep playing one game at a time. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Bigger problem is this program was the TOP program back in the day and now we are just one of the top. UND hockey is losing its regional appeal to a point where Scheels carries more MSU beaver clothes than UND. Blame it on the logo maybe but there is way more Green and gold in all ND Scheels. This is not a positive sign. This problem is evident at hockey home games where now we struggle to sell out. This will unfortunately hold back the other programs because of less money coming in. 

30 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Bigger problem is this program was the TOP program back in the day and now we are just one of the top. UND hockey is losing its regional appeal to a point where Scheels carries more MSU beaver clothes than UND. Blame it on the logo maybe but there is way more Green and gold in all ND Scheels. This is not a positive sign. This problem is evident at hockey home games where now we struggle to sell out. This will unfortunately hold back the other programs because of less money coming in. 

UND hockey with another clunker destination game, this time In Vegas vs Arizona State. If it wasn’t for the beautiful Ralph Engelstad Arena, and Grand Forks’ unhealthy obsession with hockey, I’m pretty sure attendance would start taking even more of a hit by this point. UND hockey certainly hasn’t been the top program since 2016, but that much is obvious. It’s just that they also haven’t been top 3 either, at least from a postseason perspective. Count me not impressed with this “top five program in the nation”. Perception is reality, though, I guess. 

6 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Lots of teams in the mix

SCHOOL MVFC ALL
South Dakota State 6-0 8-1
North Dakota State 4-1 6-2
Northern Iowa 4-2 5-4
Southern Illinois 4-2 5-4
Illinois State 3-2 5-3
North Dakota 3-2 5-3
Youngstown State 3-2 5-3
Missouri State 1-4 3-5
South Dakota 1-4 2-6
Indiana State 0-5 1-7
Western Illinois 0-5 0-8

The Indiana State and South Dakota games cannot be letdowns in any way.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sioux&gt;Bison said:

Massey ratings, also SIU and Nebraska continuing to lose doesn’t help

Thanks. So, it looks like #5 SOS in FCS.  I presume this will go down after playing Indiana State and South Dakota?