SiouxSports.com Forum

2021 Season

SWSiouxMN

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

I think the goal should be use und as a jumping stone unless it’s hockey

Correct. Ideally we hire a coach on the rise. they have young hungry, eager coaches on staff and after 4-6 years of success the coach gets a few offers and decides to move on and one of the coaches on staff is ready to make the move to the top spot and brings in some eager and hungry coaches to complete their staff...rinse, repeat.

1 hour ago, Shawn-O said:

Good thinking.  Glad we dodged that Kalen DeBoer bullet seven years ago in favor of a lifer.   

Right......maybe that FB program would have played 2 games in December before he bolted.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

Correct. Ideally we hire a coach on the rise. they have young hungry, eager coaches on staff and after 4-6 years of success the coach gets a few offers and decides to move on and one of the coaches on staff is ready to make the move to the top spot and brings in some eager and hungry coaches to complete their staff...rinse, repeat.

Yeah, winning culture begets winning culture passed on from one coach to their successor.  Gasparini>Blais>Hakstol>Berry. And throw in guys like Rick Wilson, Cary Eades, Scott Sandelin who weren’t successors at UND, but had a good deal of success elsewhere.  I would venture to say that guys like Dave Tippett learned a lot through that culture as well.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, tnt said:

Yeah, winning culture begets winning culture passed on from one coach to their successor.  Gasparini>Blais>Hakstol>Berry. And throw in guys like Rick Wilson, Cary Eades, Scott Sandelin who weren’t successors at UND, but had a good deal of success elsewhere.  I would venture to say that guys like Dave Tippett learned a lot through that culture as well.

then makes you wonder about tiffin....engaged him one time in public right at the start of his tenure and he had zero charisma and didn't want to say anything positive...had run ins with ashley and pryor and they could'nt stop talking about how excited they were to be here and about volleyball in general...pryor is maybe one of the nicest guys i've meet 

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

So what are our needs and what's in the transfer portal? 

Lots in the transfer portal, take a look.  https://twitter.com/CVBTransfers

If there is any room is a good question. I have no idea who is not coming back (other than the seniors), their decision or otherwise. Guess the new coach will have a say on that situation. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

can we expect a quick return to respectability? A year? Two years?

Just a gut feeling, but I’m thinking we’ll be respectable (like .500) potentially next year, but 2 years for sure.  I think we’ll contend for league titles in 3-4 years. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, tnt said:

What you just described is Gino's "coaching tree": Guys who learned with or under a coach. 

This Tupac fellow seems to come from the right VB trees.

And I'm struggling to not make any cheesy rap references given that name ... for at least a week ... :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

What you just described is Gino's "coaching tree": Guys who learned with or under a coach. 

This Tupac fellow seems to come from the right VB trees.

And I'm struggling to not make any cheesy rap references given that name ... for at least a week ... :D 

First team meeting he said All Eyez on Me

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

This is a good hire. Great potential. First message is that there  is “a new Sheriff in town”.  
 Those folks who find something negative about this hire before he even gets started, are ones I would never want on my team. In fact,  I question how many of those have even been on a team, much less contributed. 

19 hours ago, petey23 said:

Or the success level from the coach creates a level of excitement in the program that you also get good outside candidates.  Promoting from within is good for morale, but I think UND at times has been too focused on internal ties and not on who might be the best person for the job.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

Or the success level from the coach creates a level of excitement in the program that you also get good outside candidates.  Promoting from within is good for morale, but I think UND at times has been too focused on internal ties and not on who might be the best person for the job.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record:  Leave the program in a better condition than which you found it.  This guy will do that, he looks like a great hire.  

2 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record:  Leave the program in a better condition than which you found it.  This guy will do that, he looks like a great hire.  

i agree it seems like a good hire but it will be VERY hard for him to not leave it better than he found it.  VB should be fun again soon!