SiouxSports.com Forum

2021 Season

SWSiouxMN

12 hours ago, Kab said:

Tough to recruit for a team that is as bad as us

will take a coach that bleeds green, doesn’t have to be from here but buys into the community and university

where is the AD, was he there tonight?

We need a coach who can coach, win and recruit kids.  I dont care if they buy into community, if this is a stepping stone for a coach let it be.  We need someone to build the program to hand off to another coach that can keep it going.  The days of coaches staying here their whole careers is probably gone.  Division 1 athletics is different then Division 2.  

42 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

We need a coach who can coach, win and recruit kids.  I dont care if they buy into community, if this is a stepping stone for a coach let it be.  We need someone to build the program to hand off to another coach that can keep it going.  The days of coaches staying here their whole careers is probably gone.  Division 1 athletics is different then Division 2.  

You may not, but there are still people not happy with the previous coach who never bought into the community.
Probably not a coincidence that the cupboard was left pretty bare when he unexpectedly took off.
In order to recruit, particularly to somewhere like Grand Forks, you need to buy into the community to be able to sell it. Not a coincidence that a lot of UND coach's have ties to the University.

Now if a coach wants to come in and use the job as a stepping stone, and be wildly successful while doing that, I'm all for it. But you aren't going to accomplish it without buying into to the University and community.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

We need a coach who can coach, win and recruit kids.  I dont care if they buy into community, if this is a stepping stone for a coach let it be. 

This is basically Mark Pryor.  He could coach, win, and recruit (at least until he stopped caring).  BUUUT, he didn't buy into the community, and as a result, his care for the program waned.  And then when he left, his lack of care manifested in a couple years' time to a team that's 1-28.  He didn't even use UND as stepping stone (he went to a Division III school); that's how little he cared about being in Grand Forks.

1 hour ago, NewUndFan said:

Don’t care if they stay here forever but I do want them out in the community, attending events, rubbing elbows with fans so people know,who the hell the coach is,  would only improve the program and attendance 

5 hours ago, Dustin said:

This is basically Mark Pryor.  He could coach, win, and recruit (at least until he stopped caring).  BUUUT, he didn't buy into the community, and as a result, his care for the program waned.  And then when he left, his lack of care manifested in a couple years' time to a team that's 1-28.  He didn't even use UND as stepping stone (he went to a Division III school); that's how little he cared about being in Grand Forks.

So basically we want a homer coach that loves Grand Forks and goes out in the community and wins one game a year.  That should bring alot fans to the games.  I agree a coach should be out in the community, love Grand Forks and bleed Green.   But if they dont win games none of that matters. To me the most important thing is a good coach and if he or she is a community great.    I would take a Pryor that had a fun team to watch and won then someone who loves UND and loses.   I am not from here and not a alumni.  As a fan I dont care how much I see him around town.  I come to games when they win not when they show up to fundraisers.    If they lose and are terrible no one has interest.   You can argue that all you want but fans dont want to see horrible teams no matter what sport.   Also it wasnt Pryor's fault the team went 1-28.  It was a unfortunate dismissal of two very good players and hiring a assistant coach that has no business being a head coach.   

From the Ralph last night....my source within the athletic department said Tiffin is gone. Had a meeting with a player one on one. Allegations made by player. She said...he said. If factual how does this happen in today's society where a coach at any level would conduct a 1 on 1 meeting with a player. Would think that would be on page 1 in the book "Coaching 101 for Dumbies".

19 hours ago, NewUndFan said:

So basically we want a homer coach that loves Grand Forks and goes out in the community and wins one game a year.  That should bring alot fans to the games.  I agree a coach should be out in the community, love Grand Forks and bleed Green.   But if they dont win games none of that matters. To me the most important thing is a good coach and if he or she is a community great.    I would take a Pryor that had a fun team to watch and won then someone who loves UND and loses.   I am not from here and not a alumni.  As a fan I dont care how much I see him around town.  I come to games when they win not when they show up to fundraisers.    If they lose and are terrible no one has interest.   You can argue that all you want but fans dont want to see horrible teams no matter what sport.   Also it wasnt Pryor's fault the team went 1-28.  It was a unfortunate dismissal of two very good players and hiring a assistant coach that has no business being a head coach.   

You hire a coach that will be able to recruit talented players then coach them so they continue to develop and reach their full potential. You need to develop a culture whereby your players a very competitive in practice with the the focus on team success. The coaches need to also remain focused on building a successful, sustainable program even if they view this as a stop along the way to bigger things. They need to have a staff that can teach and relate to players. They all need to be visible to the GF and UND community. That is how to develop relationships that lead to improved support and resources to achieve goals. They don’t need to be Alumni nor have played here. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Hardee was a good community man

Loved talking to him after a game over a cold one

You would talk to a sign post over a cold one. I buy you one or two some day just to see if you are for real. (I’m not much better conversationalist than a post)

Chaves is going to need put some time in on this hire because its going to take someone that can really recruit talent, plus coach up this young talent, and then be able to keep such talent if we don't start winning right away. I am sorry this goes back to Pryor he got handed team that was young talented and he was good enough coach ride these players to successful record but as he was going along the cupboard was getting thinner and thinner until he needed to move on and when he did all he could get was division III job back in his beloved Texas.  The Tiffen hire was just pouring more gas onto sinking ship and this goes to Chaves he just looked at previous records of Volleyball team and thought with his resume the volleyball should remain middle of pact in conference. I don't know if lack knowledge or just not high priority for him but is seems he has let women's sport lag behind. I remember Chaves coming here saying how he wanted to be AD to major hockey power and by god that was he has focused on. I like hockey but i love some other sports as much or more remember when they were just important and they were playing for things at national level and winning championships. I hated when people say were hockey school and i think it just limits what we can be our history has shown we had been power in Mens and Womens basketball, Football, and we were becoming that in Volleyball. The majority of college world follows these sports and if we are to get national recognition it will be in these sports.

• Upvote 2

On 11/19/2021 at 9:07 AM, NewUndFan said:

I dont care if they buy into community, if this is a stepping stone for a coach let it be.  

On 11/19/2021 at 3:45 PM, NewUndFan said:

I agree a coach should be out in the community, love Grand Forks and bleed Green.   

Make up your mind. 

53 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I remember Chaves coming here saying how he wanted to be AD to major hockey power and by god that was he has focused on. 

I can tell you firsthand with 100% certainty that this was not the message he conveyed when he interviewed. Or even close.

• Upvote 1