SiouxSports.com Forum

2021 Season

SWSiouxMN

22 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Make up your mind. 

I can tell you firsthand with 100% certainty that this was not the message he conveyed when he interviewed. Or even close.

What part do you want me to explain to you ?  I DONT care if he is in the community BUT I agree a coach SHOULD be involved in the community.   But if we had a coach who was a hermit and never came out of their office but won championships.  That's what I care about.   I don't buy tickets when teams are losing and win 1 game game a year but the coach is out in the community.  In the end that means nothing.   Winning is all that counts in sports.  And fans don't buy tickets to losing teams .  

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

With the head coach being let go and one of the co-interims looking for other career opportunities, coupled with the statement that a search process for a head coach will begin immediately, safe to say it was made clear they are looking at bringing someone in from the outside to right the ship. Actually think this is a sport UND will get a pretty solid pool of applicants for.

I like how Schlossman tells it like it is on how bad the state of the program is compared their heyday:

"something that would have been unthinkable a decade ago when former coach Ashley Hardee turned the program into a mid-major power that packed The Betty"

"UND has lost more home games in the last two seasons (0-20) than it did in the entire decade from 2008-17, when it went 102-19."

"The program has fallen on hard times since 2017, when it went 30-8 and reached the NCAA tournament. UND went 14-18 the following year, Mark Pryor's last at the helm, and has gone 12-18, 2-16 and 1-29 under Tiffin."

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I like how Schlossman tells it like it is on how bad the state of the program is compared their heyday:

"something that would have been unthinkable a decade ago when former coach Ashley Hardee turned the program into a mid-major power that packed The Betty"

"UND has lost more home games in the last two seasons (0-20) than it did in the entire decade from 2008-17, when it went 102-19."

"The program has fallen on hard times since 2017, when it went 30-8 and reached the NCAA tournament. UND went 14-18 the following year, Mark Pryor's last at the helm, and has gone 12-18, 2-16 and 1-29 under Tiffin."

1. I knew it had gotten bad ... but ... oh my.

2. When did Schloss become a volleyball obscure stats wonk? 

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

every day this coaching crap goes on the deep the hole...let's go chaves...wtf

There's a reason they waited until the season is almost over to post the job (mainly because they actually want good candidates and that is a lot less likely during the middle of the season).

How many years will it take for someone to turn this around - winning the conference or ncaa tournament?

I have no idea how much talent we had this year or who is coming in. I assume a new coach could do whatever the coach wants as for as who stays and who comes in

the team must all be going wth

22 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

How many years will it take for someone to turn this around - winning the conference or ncaa tournament?

I think it can be done quickly.  It didn't take Hardee long, and some of that was done during the Great West years.  The upper Midwest is kind of the epicenter of indoor women's volleyball, so we are already close to the heart of the recruiting trail.  Much easier than basketball, where our remoteness from urban centers stymies recruiting.

As far as winning conference or making the NCAA tourney, those take a special team.  Even Hardee couldn't get over that hump.  But that doesn't mean those teams weren't good or fun to watch.

On 11/20/2021 at 6:42 AM, Oxbow6 said:

From the Ralph last night....my source within the athletic department said Tiffin is gone. Had a meeting with a player one on one. Allegations made by player. She said...he said. If factual how does this happen in today's society where a coach at any level would conduct a 1 on 1 meeting with a player. Would think that would be on page 1 in the book "Coaching 101 for Dumbies".

Complaint against Tiffin formally dropped.

On 11/23/2021 at 5:04 PM, The Sicatoka said:

I can't open that link.  Anything of substance in there?

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

I can't open that link.  Anything of substance in there?

Minimum Requirements

• Bachelor’s degree
  • Minimum five (5) years of full-time collegiate coaching experience.
  • Experience recruiting prospective student-athletes for collegiate teams.
  • Valid Driver’s License.
  • Successful completion of a criminal history background check.

Preferred Qualifications

• Master’s or advance degree.
  • Demonstrated recruiting experience in the Central Time Zone.
  • Experience with recruiting and compliance software (Front Rush, ACS, ARMS, or Jump Forward).
  • Five (5) or more years of experience at the NCAA Division I level.
  • Head coaching experience at the collegiate level.
  • Success as a head or assistant coach with conference championships or a winning percentage of 60% or above.
  • History of no major or Level 2 NCAA violations.
  • North Dakota ties by having lived or born in the state and/or University of North Dakota ties by either having attended or through employment.

• 2 weeks later...

Heard interviews were this week. No idea if it was phone/Zoom interviews or if they would do on-campus interviews.

Regardless, I'm hearing there could be an announcement soon. I haven't heard anything about the short list, but the person I spoke to was happy with the candidates.

It'll be nice to get people excited about UND VB again. 

• Upvote 3