SiouxSports.com Forum

2021 Season

SWSiouxMN

On 10/25/2021 at 9:00 AM, Dustin said:

A head coach from one of the good NSIC schools (SCSU, Winona St., SW Minn. St.), a protégé of Starkey's from CSP, or an assistant from a regional Big Ten school (Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Nebraska, all of which are national powerhouses) would all be good directions to pursue, IMO.

Well Terry rode off into the sunset after a long, successful career. So you can check that one off the list.

3 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Well Terry rode off into the sunset after a long, successful career. So you can check that one off the list.

Yeah, I maybe should have looked at who these coaches are. I just looked at the teams’ records. 

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

heard that tiffin "said something" which lead to the suspension/leave and that they are using that to get out of the rest of his contract......

Whether he "said something" or not, he needs to go.  Huge disappointment.

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

only thing is are they using this politically correct world we are living in as an excuse to get rid of a guy instead of just firing his ass?

Makes sense if they have just cause that allows them to not have to pay anything in buying out his contract.

3 hours ago, Dustin said:

I watched the VB game on TV Saturday night.  There was a guy acting as the head coach, but I'm not sure if it was Steve Rindfleisch.  

Steve R and Erin are co-coaches, but Steve definitely takes on a more active role on game days. Erin seems to do much of what she did in the past on game days, probably blocking assignments. When I think about it, Steve did have a pretty active role on the sidelines prior to the "administrative leave." I like watching him, he's very intense, but in a good way. The previous coach always had this look like the team just ran over his dog. Steve clearly wants to win, and wasn't happy at times, but not in a pissed-off-at-the-world kind of way.

It would be interesting to know their pre- non-game days roles, and how they've changed, such as planning and running practices. It does seem like a lot of players have been seeing playing time that I didn't see earlier in the year. I'm sure practice stats backup the changes, but it makes me wonder about earlier in the year. Regardless, there has been some differences since change of leadership.

I don't know if he's up for consideration for the position, or Erin, but it would not bother me at all if Steve got the job. I've crossed paths with him more than once, and I like what I've seen and heard. And I can see him on the recruiting trail selling his enthusiasm to potential players. I'm much less interested in a Power 5 pedigree and more interested in someone who can fire up and rally the troops.

Regarding the (assumed to soon be the ) previous coach, I suspect they have a statement ready to be released right after the season ends. Let's get through the season without any additional distractions, and then start the process, whatever that will be. 

13 hours ago, undVBfan said:

Steve R and Erin are co-coaches, but Steve definitely takes on a more active role on game days. Erin seems to do much of what she did in the past on game days, probably blocking assignments. When I think about it, Steve did have a pretty active role on the sidelines prior to the "administrative leave." I like watching him, he's very intense, but in a good way. The previous coach always had this look like the team just ran over his dog. Steve clearly wants to win, and wasn't happy at times, but not in a pissed-off-at-the-world kind of way.

It would be interesting to know their pre- non-game days roles, and how they've changed, such as planning and running practices. It does seem like a lot of players have been seeing playing time that I didn't see earlier in the year. I'm sure practice stats backup the changes, but it makes me wonder about earlier in the year. Regardless, there has been some differences since change of leadership.

I don't know if he's up for consideration for the position, or Erin, but it would not bother me at all if Steve got the job. I've crossed paths with him more than once, and I like what I've seen and heard. And I can see him on the recruiting trail selling his enthusiasm to potential players. I'm much less interested in a Power 5 pedigree and more interested in someone who can fire up and rally the troops.

Regarding the (assumed to soon be the ) previous coach, I suspect they have a statement ready to be released right after the season ends. Let's get through the season without any additional distractions, and then start the process, whatever that will be. 

NO more homer hires!!  We need to do a nation wide search and get the BEST candidate.  UND can not keep hiring people who have tires or assistant coaches of head coaches that are fired.  We dont need to hire a former athlete that went here either.   Go look for the best coach!  Look at what NDSU did with their womens basketball coach hire.   He turned that program around in 2 years.   We need new blood and ideas for this program.  

16 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Makes sense if they have just cause that allows them to not have to pay anything in buying out his contract.

but to tarnish someones' character with accusations are trumped up or false is garbage...if he sucks fire his ass and pay him the money

1 hour ago, NewUndFan said:

NO more homer hires!!  We need to do a nation wide search and get the BEST candidate.  UND can not keep hiring people who have tires or assistant coaches of head coaches that are fired.  We dont need to hire a former athlete that went here either.   Go look for the best coach!  Look at what NDSU did with their womens basketball coach hire.   He turned that program around in 2 years.   We need new blood and ideas for this program.  

None of the last 3 volleyball coaches have been "homer hires" as it is a pretty big stretch to consider Tiffin's handful of months as an assistant during the offseason as any sort of ties to UND.

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

but to tarnish someones' character with accusations are trumped up or false is garbage...if he sucks fire his ass and pay him the money

I completely agree.  I don't know what the situation is, so I was referring to something legitimate.  With UND being a public university, that line would be much easer to cross than if it was my own private business, however.  

• Like 1

If we do replace coach i want a coach that has positive attitude and totally into believing in UND i didn't get that from Pryor that he had any love for UND, North Dakota, or anything with area.  I remember watching him being interviewed on Big Sky TV and how he hated the weather and it was amazing people lived up here. You can't tell me that when this first things come out of his mouth this is not going to get you the upper hand on the recruiting front and your giving advantage to other schools your recruiting against because if they hear  this they are going to use it against you. With Tiffen  he has been rather low key and it was hard to get a feel what he was real like in day to day world.  He also came when Pryor didn't leave much in pipeline for talent and then he had media blow up over the two players which i think was poorly handled by the University which should have been handled internally and can't but feel it hurt team internally and sure hasn't helped them recruit or retain players no matter what side of the fence you were on with handling the players. I don't envy the new coach because we are at the bottom of barrel as program now with one win team and i have my doubts we could beat division II teams and even some of the small colleges in volleyball. This is going to take years to rebuild and second i have my doubts on level of support UND is giving to women sports look at where we are in all women sports at UND compared to other schools in the conference. We have no upper tier program in conference and were rebuilding programs in most of the sports.

5 hours ago, jdub27 said:

None of the last 3 volleyball coaches have been "homer hires" as it is a pretty big stretch to consider Tiffin's handful of months as an assistant during the offseason as any sort of ties to UND.

My Point is this A.D just likes to promote the assistant coaches and UND connections.  I dont believe this A.D hired the last three coaches?  He didnt do a national search for it.  Also for the woman's head basketball coach position.  We fire the head coach promote the assistant to interim coach.  That coach wins ONE game during the year and then we hire her as the new head coach.??   I am saying the current A.D needs to do more then just worry about hockey.  UND sports has slowly went down hill since his hire in my opinion.  

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Is there enough local talent to compete or do need to get most of our players outside of nd, sd, and mn 

UND has shown that they can build a championship team by recruiting a majority of their players from those 3 states. 

It can happen again.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NewUndFan said:

My Point is this A.D just likes to promote the assistant coaches and UND connections.  I dont believe this A.D hired the last three coaches?  He didnt do a national search for it.  Also for the woman's head basketball coach position.  We fire the head coach promote the assistant to interim coach.  That coach wins ONE game during the year and then we hire her as the new head coach.??   I am saying the current A.D needs to do more then just worry about hockey.  UND sports has slowly went down hill since his hire in my opinion.  

100% agree