SiouxSports.com Forum

Looking Toward The Fall

geaux_sioux

9 hours ago, nodak651 said:

When Tommy threw that ball, where was the safety that was standing on the J (of JMU at midfield) at the start of the play?  Was he near Maag?

It's hard to tell for sure from camera angles where safety is when ball is thrown, but safety is not in frame when ball is thrown to Cochrane.  The safety is following the motion towards the boundary at the snap.  My bigger point on that play is Tommy goes to the receiver the play is designed for or he throws it away.  I'm not saying this is bad or necessarily wrong, I'm just saying when you look at the film critically that is what happens on every play.  IMO its also why our offense struggled down the stretch(last 3 games) other then 1st qtr vs MSU.

18 hours ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Freshman version of Tommy>Ketteringham>Stutsrud

I would take Studsrud over Ketteringham and his stupid corn rows. I also got sick of watching Kett try to fit the ball into a window that wasn't there. Studs may not have had the most talent, but he seemed like a good team guy and he played tough.

• Like 1

I just want to see this team take the next step forward. Can't take a step back and miss the playoffs next year (No losing to Idaho St!) ... this is a playoff caliber team, but that is not guarantee. I also get sick of hearing that we are a different team on the road, but it will continue to be a conversation until we prove otherwise ... which I think we will.

I will be very interested to see how some of the new kids contribute, who stays, and who we can pickup via the portal; hopefully a safety and a speedy receiver, maybe a kicker/punter. We should certainly be a more attractive spot for transfers than we were a few years ago.

• Upvote 2

My best guess:

At Idaho State - Win

At Utah State - Win

Vs. Drake - Win

Vs NDSU - Loss : UND is really good at home, but until we beat the Bison, its tough to pick against them.

At South Dakota - Loss : UND is the better team here, but UND/USD games get weird, and playing in Vermillion can be tough. It is the kind of game we should win if we want to continue moving towards being a dominant program.

At Southern Illinois - Win : This one will be interesting. Beating SIU on the road would be a really nice win. Not sure what to expect from them next year, as they have been so hot or cold this season.

Vs Western Illinois - Win

At Missouri State - Win

Vs Youngstown - Win

Vs Illinois State - Win

At South Dakota State - Loss : The SDSU win was huge this season, but playing them on the road is a bit different. If my other guesses are correct and UND can head into this game on a 5 game win streak, potentially fighting for a Valley Championship, then who knows what happens here. Have to limit the Janke bros.

8-3 with an FBS win. Does this get you a seed with the playoff field going back to normal? The biggest issue I see with my predictions is, I don't see us getting swept by the Dakota schools and still having this good of a record, BUT until this team proves they can win on the road, some of these will be tough. I could maybe swap the USD and SIU predictions. Can't wait to watch.

3 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

My best guess:

At Idaho State - Win

At Utah State - Win

Vs. Drake - Win

Vs NDSU - Loss : UND is really good at home, but until we beat the Bison, its tough to pick against them.

At South Dakota - Loss : UND is the better team here, but UND/USD games get weird, and playing in Vermillion can be tough. It is the kind of game we should win if we want to continue moving towards being a dominant program.

At Southern Illinois - Win : This one will be interesting. Beating SIU on the road would be a really nice win. Not sure what to expect from them next year, as they have been so hot or cold this season.

Vs Western Illinois - Win

At Missouri State - Win

Vs Youngstown - Win

Vs Illinois State - Win

At South Dakota State - Loss : The SDSU win was huge this season, but playing them on the road is a bit different. If my other guesses are correct and UND can head into this game on a 5 game win streak, potentially fighting for a Valley Championship, then who knows what happens here. Have to limit the Janke bros.

8-3 with an FBS win. Does this get you a seed with the playoff field going back to normal? The biggest issue I see with my predictions is, I don't see us getting swept by the Dakota schools and still having this good of a record, BUT until this team proves they can win on the road, some of these will be tough. I could maybe swap the USD and SIU predictions. Can't wait to watch.

9-2 loses to SIU and SDSU would be a nice regular season.

56 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I would take Studsrud over Ketteringham and his stupid corn rows. I also got sick of watching Kett try to fit the ball into a window that wasn't there. Studs may not have had the most talent, but he seemed like a good team guy and he played tough.

Studsrud was held back by both the offense we ran while he was here plus the lack of a solid back-up which limited how much they utilized his legs.

Ketteringham was the gun-slinger everyone clamors for when you just spent a few years watching an incredibly bland offense. I was surprised to look back and see he completed 64% of his passes his senior year. 10 picks was a few too many though.

I think both of these guys would have ended up being remembered differently with a different OC (acknowledging Danny was in his first year of OC Kett's senior year).

4 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

It's hard to tell for sure from camera angles where safety is when ball is thrown, but safety is not in frame when ball is thrown to Cochrane.  The safety is following the motion towards the boundary at the snap.  My bigger point on that play is Tommy goes to the receiver the play is designed for or he throws it away.  I'm not saying this is bad or necessarily wrong, I'm just saying when you look at the film critically that is what happens on every play.  IMO its also why our offense struggled down the stretch(last 3 games) other then 1st qtr vs MSU.

Shouldn't your beef be with Freund?  I'd be curious how Tommy's stats compare with Cornrows for longest completions on each of their seasons.  Thanks for posting the videos - they are fun to look at.  I wouldn't complain if you posted more.  Something concrete to discuss.

Cornrows play didn't bother me too much, EXCEPT for his terrible pocket presence... INFURIATING!  Multiple times, while under pressure, he would turn completely around, with his back to our receivers, and he would run towards our own end zone, and then he would typically get sacked for like a 10-15 yard loss... That's where Tommy makes a huge difference!  Not as flashy, but significantly less interceptions/fumbles and lost yards on sacks add up fast.  I'd take the non flashy guy any day when a bad sack pretty much ends most drives.  Throwing the ball away is also > interceptions.

48 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Studsrud was held back by both the offense we ran while he was here plus the lack of a solid back-up which limited how much they utilized his legs.

Ketteringham was the gun-slinger everyone clamors for when you just spent a few years watching an incredibly bland offense. I was surprised to look back and see he completed 64% of his passes his senior year. 10 picks was a few too many though.

I think both of these guys would have ended up being remembered differently with a different OC (acknowledging Danny was in his first year of OC Kett's senior year).

My beef with Kett is you could tell he was not really a leader or good team guy. Didn't he push Bubba on the sideline once? ha

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Shouldn't your beef be with Freund?  I'd be curious how Tommy's stats compare with Cornrows for longest completions on each of their seasons.  Thanks for posting the videos - they are fun to look at.  I wouldn't complain if you posted more.  Something concrete to discuss.

Cornrows play didn't bother me too much, EXCEPT for his terrible pocket presence... INFURIATING!  Multiple times, while under pressure, he would turn completely around, with his back to our receivers, and he would run towards our own end zone, and then he would typically get sacked for like a 10-15 yard loss... That's where Tommy makes a huge difference!  Not as flashy, but significantly less interceptions/fumbles and lost yards on sacks add up fast.  I'd take the non flashy guy any day when a bad sack pretty much ends most drives.  Throwing the ball away is also > interceptions.

Ketteringham was simply awful in the pocket.  Did not have a good feel for pressure and when to move around and when throw it away.  Way too many sacks.

I think it will be interesting to see how the QB position evolves this summer and fall.  Freund has worked overtime figuring out way to move the pocket and come up with "gadget" plays to cover for some shortcomings.  I am not sure how Quincy is throwing the ball, but it is obvious that he is much more of a running threat than Tommy has been.  Whether its Freund or Tommy or some of both, for UND to take the next steps, we HAVE to get over whatever the fear is and take some shots downfield when that is what the defense is giving us.  

This is 2nd and 9 throw to Richter, the play right before the INT in 2nd qtr.  This should have been picked too.  I don't understand the thinking here.  Why are we not taking a shot downfield?  It's 1 on 1, safety following Skokna in motion.  This is one hell off a lot of trouble to attempt to throw the ball to Richter at the LOS.  This again is a single read pass play.  Richter does a hell of a job shielding the CB from the ball or this is an easy PICK 6.

image.thumb.png.9303da00d0f318f3e5009c8b77238952.png

image.thumb.png.d3ab9408f3fa4ee36397ea84f860e611.png

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Defending Champs next season!!

BF8E86BF-2E0C-45BC-BBDD-26E02CDB7B7A.jpeg

Is that all the co-champs listed on there?  :wink:

In all seriousness, the team is getting rings, right?  Also where can I buy a UND MVFC Football champs t-shirt?  I have bought all two football apparel items available and I want more... 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Is that all the co-champs listed on there?  :wink:

In all seriousness, the team is getting rings, right?  Also where can I buy a UND MVFC Football champs t-shirt?  I have bought all two football apparel items available and I want more... 

Missouri State being c0-champs is so stupid when really looking at it.  But whatever

3 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

Schuster named UND Freshman of the year (all sports). That should ruffle some feathers here lol.

Not really.

Gaber (MIH) had a fast start in the pod but didn't maintain that pace. Sanderson (MIH) had a season that met, and end that exceeded expectations; however, he, and Gaber were overshadowed by Pinto, Kawaguchi, et al, stealing most of the hockey headlines. That hurt their causes. 

Meanwhile Schuster was the reliable, consistent, steady engine of UND Football this spring. (Some would say he's not a high revving engine, but diesels are good too.) 

Frankly, one could make a reasonable argument for Bo Belquist. 

• Upvote 1