SiouxSports.com Forum

The Regular Season Finale with..........Omaha.

Wilbur

4 minutes ago, LuvHockey said:

So a late game penalty in both last week and this weeks games, appears to have "decided" both. Coach #$&inet blamed refs last week. How about this week?

Gabs thinks the refs were great this evening. Outstanding, no complaints. 

12 minutes ago, LuvHockey said:

So a late game penalty in both last week and this weeks games, appears to have "decided" both. Coach #$&inet blamed refs last week. How about this week?

I’m guessing he’s comfortable with this week’s outcome.  He’s also a tremendous tool.;)

• Upvote 1

Well, I’m still a little annoyed but doesn’t hurt for the boys to get humbled. Rather it be now than when it becomes single game elimination. I just hope to god the team responds properly. It’s playoff hockey from here on out! 

Alright that’s it for me, on to UND vs Miami.

47 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Well, I’m still a little annoyed but doesn’t hurt for the boys to get humbled. Rather it be now than when it becomes single game elimination. I just hope to god the team responds properly. It’s playoff hockey from here on out! 

Alright that’s it for me, on to UND vs Miami.

Next week will be interesting. Need to beat Miami. That’s a must. In theory, want to win all games next weekend. If they lose, oh, well. 

Back in the real WCHA days, very rare if a team won the WCHA regular season, WCHA Final Five followed by the National Title.  Can’t recall a team top of my mind...

Really wish we could just fast forward to the west regional. 

8 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

Back in the real WCHA days, very rare if a team won the WCHA regular season, WCHA Final Five followed by the National Title.  Can’t recall a team top of my mind...

It did not happen very often:

----------- 1959-1960 to 1960-1961 - WCHA Conference Tournament Begins: Co-Champions awarded -----------------

1960: Denver (shared tournament title with Michigan Tech)

1961: Denver (shared tournament title with Minnesota)

----------- 1961-1962 to 1964-1965 - MacNaughton Cup Awarded to Tournament Champion: Single Champion awarded -----------

1962: Michigan Tech

----------- 1965-1966 to 1980-1981 - Broadmoor Trophy awarded to Tournament Champions: Co-Champions awarded ------------

1968: Denver (shared Broadmoor with North Dakota)

1977: Wisconsin

1980: North Dakota (shared Broadmoor with Minnesota)

----------- 1981-1982 to 1986-1987 - Tournament changes to Single Champion format awarded via two-game total goals series ----------

1987: North Dakota

----------- 1987-1988 to 1991-1992 - Tournament changes to Single-site, Single-elimination Semifinals/Finals ---------------

1990: Wisconsin

1991: Northern Michigan

----------- 1992-1993 to present - WCHA Conference Tournament branded as the "Final Five" ---------------

1997: North Dakota (shared MacNaughton with Minnesota)

2005: Denver (shared MacNaughton with Colorado College)

So, 11 times total, and only 5 times "outright."  If you only count from when they moved to the "Final Five" and limited it solely to outright champions, it never happened. 

In fact, during that time period (1992-1993 to the split), only three teams won both the MacNaughton outright, and then the Final Five title (2001-2002 Denver; 2006-2007 Minnesota; and 2010-2011 North Dakota).  Those three teams combined for a 3-3 record in the NCAAs, with only the 2010-2011 Sioux squad advancing to the Frozen Four.

ETA: No team has won the NCHC Regular Season and Tournament Titles in the same season...yet.  :)

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Langster019 said:

Positive from a loss. Being down 2-0 only to tie it and go to OT. Hopefully they get hungry. This conference tournament should be a good way to ramp up into the National Tournament.

The loss is OK with me.  It might make them a little hungrier, and it did not come as a result of bad goaltending, which could be a confidence factor. I just wish Thome could have gotten that win in Senior Night. 

• Upvote 2