SiouxSports.com Forum

The Regular Season Finale with..........Omaha.

Wilbur

Alright.....game six of the UND vs. Mav saga.  To date we are....(checks google) 4-1 against the red cows.  We have scored a whopping 25 goals against them in 5 games, and given up a whopping 11 goals in those matchups with 5 of them coming in the game we decided to inhabit the penalty box for elongated periods of time and made Jonny Tychonik a hero with the GWG. 

I felt we had a chance to win more games at Baxter arena than the Mavs this year, but they were able to pull ahead with the sweep of CC, and only playing one game there last Friday made them uncatchable.  Mavs wins at Baxter=10.  UND wins at Baxter=9.  We were so close....maybe next time.    

Senior night at the Ralph.  Love the character guy that Thome is, but I start Scheel to keep him ready to go next weekend.  I'm guessing Gooch, Pinto, and Mismash are all back in the lineup Friday as well.  No suspensions from incidents in this game please........  

UND 5   Omaha 2

In the 2016 championship year, some player (and I can’t remember who it was) told the locker room before the game, “F Senior Night, we need a win”.  Or something to that effect. I liked the attitude. 

All lower bowl tickets are sold out for the first time this season.  People must have watched the ND HS hockey tournament and feel they can enjoy a game without getting accosted by the Ralph's ushers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 3/1/2021 at 11:10 AM, ND_Texan said:

Scheel needs to be in the nets for a W. Put Thome in for an encore in the third if up 2 or 3 goals. 

No way, man. Thome deserves the net on senior night. He's perfectly capable of winning this game. As much as I think UND wants/needs the No. 1 overall seed, they are plenty confident in Peter being able to get that win.

• Upvote 4

On 3/1/2021 at 11:16 AM, SiouxTupa said:

UND definitely figured something out against the Mav penalty kill. They've torched em the last couple weekends. Hopefully that continues.

Sanderson, fake shot, rotate down to opposite slot to Weatherby is what's happened :D

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

All lower bowl tickets are sold out for the first time this season.  People must have watched the ND HS hockey tournament and feel they can enjoy a game without getting accosted by the Ralph's ushers.

Will you be dressing in your GFC gear or your RR attire?

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

No way, man. Thome deserves the net on senior night. He's perfectly capable of winning this game. As much as I think UND wants/needs the No. 1 overall seed, they are plenty confident in Peter being able to get that win.

I'm on the fence with this topic.  If it was a two game series Thome totally gets one of the games.  Saturday night likely.  

We all know Scheel is the guy going forward and he's playing well.  Are we going to not let him see game action until March 12th?  At the same time Thome has been a super team guy (ala Tobey Kvalevog) and my heart says give the guy one more game in the rink, he deserves it and is perfectly capable of getting the W in net.  

I'll back whatever the coaching staff decides to do in this instance.  My head says Scheel, my heart says Thome.  The easy answer is just start Feeney. :whistling:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I'm on the fence with this topic.  If it was a two game series Thome totally gets one of the games.  Saturday night likely.  

We all know Scheel is the guy going forward and he's playing well.  Are we going to not let him see game action until March 12th?  At the same time Thome has been a super team guy (ala Tobey Kvalevog) and my heart says give the guy one more game in the rink, he deserves it and is perfectly capable of getting the W in net.  

I'll back whatever the coaching staff decides to do in this instance.  My head says Scheel, my heart says Thome.  The easy answer is just start Feeney. :whistling:

A surprise Wilbur would sidestep that dilemma and be a fan favorite.  Are you Covid-cleared?

Added bonus:  you're more or less expendable, so If they try to run you, you can take extreme measures. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I think the coaching staff showed last week (sitting Pinto, Guchi, Mash) that they are wholly confident that this team can get it done regardless of who is on the ice. I think Thome has earned the start on senior night and the team is definitely confident in him. With the NCHC tournament up next, I totally get that we want to keep momentum and Scheel is unequivocally our guy, but I don't see it as a big problem if he doesn't play tonight. He's so incredibly dialed in right now and our D is so good in front of him. Give it to Thome! 

6 minutes ago, burd said:

A surprise Wilbur would sidestep that dilemma and be a fan favorite.  Are you Covid-cleared?

Added bonus:  you're more or less expendable, so If they try to run you, you can take extreme measures. 

There wouldn't be a dilemma if they let all the goalies on the ice all at the same time.  Stupid rules.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think the coaching staff showed last week (sitting Pinto, Guchi, Mash) that they are wholly confident that this team can get it done regardless of who is on the ice. I think Thome has earned the start on senior night and the team is definitely confident in him. With the NCHC tournament up next, I totally get that we want to keep momentum and Scheel is unequivocally our guy, but I don't see it as a big problem if he doesn't play tonight. He's so incredibly dialed in right now and our D is so good in front of him. Give it to Thome! 

I totally agree but I would rather see him play tomorrow night. :D

9 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Nope. Scheel needs the work. Need to keep him sharp for the playoffs. And he’s earned it. 

I will be in attendance tonight .  The lineups will be interesting as league standings are locked for these two.  Dare I ask, but can UND afford to lose this one?  I know that is not the mentality permeating through the locker room on Senior Night, but with hosting the NCHC Tournament followed by NCAAs you don’t want losses obviously.

I think back to the 2011 team (still the one that stings the most for me) who didn’t lose for something like two months...until they did. 

Omaha could use this quality win against #1 to state their case for NCAAs - two wins over UND would look nice even though North Dakota had dominated them in the standings. 

Speaking of Senior Night, will the boys break out the black jerseys at home?

Everybody plays, last game before tournament time, lets roll.  Should be the best crowd this group will see supporting them all season.  Take it to Omaha, stay out of the dumb stuff, and put together a good performance going into the post season.

UND 5

Omaha 1

Over under on Abate penalties is set at 2.  I'm taking the over. 

• Upvote 1