SiouxSports.com Forum

Post pod series #6-It's literally Omaha from here on out........

Wilbur

5 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I had thought it was because they thought Omaha was going to throw the cheap shots in the third and why chance it. 

Guch said post game he’s not hurt so it’s not that. 

I wouldn't play my top players at then end of the game, especially with what happened. 

Based on the end of the game I would sit a couple of players for their safety on Friday in Omaha.  Neither team has anything really to play for other than record.  Omaha is pretty well cemented into the 4 spot.  The slash on Jammer during the faceoff was a trigger and it was a cross check that he did, but the slash by the Omaha player was not even called.  A couple of cross checks by Denver in the last home games were not even called while our players were on the ice, and they were worse.  I would let Pinto rest and keep Mismash out to make sure he is OK for the home finale.  I would start Thome and obviously Reiger for Bast since he will have a DQ.  Let Moore be the extra skater.  Could switch Moore and Reiger, but they could get pretty equal time.  The NCHC needs to look at the slash as the instigation for the late game antics.  They obviously will not.  Berry did not send those players out to start something, just to give them awarded power play time since the game was in hand.  I reference the Saturday in Denver where he did the same thing when the game was in hand.  Playing the same team this many times in a row is the only problem I have seen with how the NCHC handled the season.  Not much they could have done about it.

11 hours ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

When the ref not the linesman has to tell the captain to go back to the bench so goalie can skate to the net after a media break...

Conley?  He got a misconduct before the final face-off for something?

17 minutes ago, KSSioux said:

Based on the end of the game I would sit a couple of players for their safety on Friday in Omaha.  Neither team has anything really to play for other than record.  Omaha is pretty well cemented into the 4 spot.  The slash on Jammer during the faceoff was a trigger and it was a cross check that he did, but the slash by the Omaha player was not even called.  A couple of cross checks by Denver in the last home games were not even called while our players were on the ice, and they were worse.  I would let Pinto rest and keep Mismash out to make sure he is OK for the home finale.  I would start Thome and obviously Reiger for Bast since he will have a DQ.  Let Moore be the extra skater.  Could switch Moore and Reiger, but they could get pretty equal time.  The NCHC needs to look at the slash as the instigation for the late game antics.  They obviously will not.  Berry did not send those players out to start something, just to give them awarded power play time since the game was in hand.  I reference the Saturday in Denver where he did the same thing when the game was in hand.  Playing the same team this many times in a row is the only problem I have seen with how the NCHC handled the season.  Not much they could have done about it.

Not a lot of upside playing these clowns two more times.  Just get out healthy.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

The NCAA has come out and said they are still using the pairwise to help determine the 16 team tournament so yes there is still something to play for. Winning percentage is what's gonna keep you high up.

Nope, not this year. From Brad's post last week

As in a normal season, each of the six conferences will receive one automatic bid. It can go to either the conference's regular-season champion or the postseason champion, though all leagues have been awarding it to the playoff champ in recent years.

But the process to select the at-large teams will be different.

The Pairwise Rankings are usually used to select the at-large teams, but that formula is obsolete without cross-conference play this season.

5 minutes ago, Goon said:

Nope, not this year. 

This from a Q&A with Mike Kemp on CHN site.

CHN: Talk about how you are going about selecting the teams for this year's NCAA Tournament.

Kemp: We had to really look at basically how to create fairness and equity and try to determine how to judge people nationally, across conferences when we're not playing competitions non-conference. So that was the biggest challenge we had. We had to look at what might be the best way to do it, knowing the Pairwise is virtually worthless for our purposes. But there are things that made up the Pairwise that are not worthless. Head-to-head records, quality wins, and so on. We can use those things within a conference. We can't use the Pairwise as is, but it gives us criteria to use. The other thing is, we've only had one meeting so far, but creating the Regional Advisory Committees, getting representatives from each conference to get their feedback, is good. We get feedback from what they're seeing within the conference and games they could see on TV.

49 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The league should change it up and have UND play Miami and UNO play WMU the last two games. 

Leave DU/CC and UMD/SCSU as is. 

I’m sure Duluth and St.Cloud wouldn’t be thrilled with that scenario, where you reward Omaha with a better chance to catch one of them because of their bad behavior.  

48 minutes ago, Sodbuster said:

Yeah, our guys on TV mentioned something about that when it was occuring but they didn't show it.

When there was still fighting in the game there wasn't all this cheap crap.  Now there really aren't any repercussions for a lot of these cheap shots and slough foots etc. being the players are not allowed to do any policing.

Just now, siouxnatty#8 said:

I guess I would answer this with a second question.  How should a schoolyard bully be dealt with?

I put in on the officials, they waste time and generate frustration with bs holding and marginal tripping call and miss the important stuff. Add to this the players at times not knowing what’s gonna get called and it sets up this stuff. Abate should have been called in the face off circle for unsportsmanlike conduct (and been reviewed for suspension) we would have built the snowman, lesson learned... Gabinet would have benched him, done next. The scrum happened because all of the players were at wits end. Prokop got a shot as he was being held JT didn’t start fighting until everyone was going. I was most impressed by Kleven, kept 4 out, almost like doing him a favor...

21 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

so with the game well in hand near the end and shenanigans on the rise, should Scheel have been replaced with Feeney/Thome to avoid the last second slough foot scenario?

3 minutes ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

I put in on the officials, they waste time and generate frustration with bs holding and marginal tripping call and miss the important stuff. Add to this the players at times not knowing what’s gonna get called and it sets up this stuff. Abate should have been called in the face off circle for unsportsmanlike conduct (and been reviewed for suspension) we would have built the snowman, lesson learned... Gabinet would have benched him, done next. The scrum happened because all of the players were at wits end. Prokop got a shot as he was being held JT didn’t start fighting until everyone was going. I was most impressed by Kleven, kept 4 out, almost like doing him a favor...

I think it is pretty clear that this cheap stuff like the slash to Jamernik is not going to end when the penalty isn't called and these scraps at the ends of games are also not going to end.  The schedule like it is is not helping this season either.  I honestly don't know what the answer is but the current enforcement system just isn't working to stop this stuff from happening.