SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

1 hour ago, 1972 said:

what is the "stategy of division"?  because he didnt want the crazies tearing up cities? this division you speak of started long before trump even decided to run for president.  it is a very weak argument that has little to no proof

Right, but Trump preys on our existing divisions like no President before him.  His entire shtick is predicated on a "us vs them/good vs bad" mentality, complete with juvenile name calling.  Sure others have said **** from time to time, but it's 24/7 with Trump.   He purposely makes himself the center of attention.    There's no middle ground with him.  Very little compromise.  He'll even thoroughly demonize his own party members who disagree with him.      

I suspect that's what makes him attractive to some people.  In their mind he 'tells it like it is'.    But it's not good for national unity.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

I never claimed he started it, I stated he has made it an up-front, central part of his political strategy. I don't care where you are on the political spectrum, if you can't see Trump thrives off divisiveness and openly creating an "us vs. them" mentality more than any other politician in my lifetime, I don't know what to tell you. Is it prevalent with politicians of both parties? Absolutely. Does Trump openly take it further than anyone else? Without question.

It is a strategy that worked for him in 2016 when he had the perfect villian in Hillary. It mostly worked during his 4 years as president to keep his base engergized but it absolutely is what failed him to get re-elected. If he had toned down his rhetoric and at least pretended that he could work with others, he would have won and probably by a fair amount. None of this should be any sort of shocking revelation.

is it possible that people were/are tired of the road that the left has been leading us down, really unchecked by anyone in the media or in gov,for over a decade?  do you think that it is possible people needed someone to stand up for them and give them a voice?  most of the country( yes, MOST) does not like what the far left thinks or does, and are tired of media not taking them to task on it.  the strategy of cops are bad, and you deserve to get everything free, and you should shut down any sort of speech or idea you dont like, has finally had people telling govt. "enough".... most people prefer law and order over chaos.  and that is what trump has been saying.  follow the laws of the land.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Calling for "unity" after calling those same folks "chumps" ... is that leadership or decreasing division? 

Methinks in 2016 a politician called a group of voters "deplorables", and right there and then a movement gained steam where these "deplorables" really didn't give a $hit about unity or feelings and the line was drawn.   

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, 1972 said:

and yet he has brokered a ton of deals that are extremely good for the country...funny.

Not according to our citizenry.  We voted his ass out, by a significant margin.  

People were sick and tired of the Trump division and chaos. 

Democracy wins in the end.    

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I never claimed he started it, I stated he has made it an up-front, central part of his political strategy. I don't care where you are on the political spectrum, if you can't see Trump thrives off divisiveness and openly creating an "us vs. them" mentality more than any other politician in my lifetime, I don't know what to tell you. Is it prevalent with politicians of both parties? Absolutely. Does Trump openly take it further than anyone else? Without question.

It is a strategy that worked for him in 2016 when he had the perfect villian in Hillary. It mostly worked during his 4 years as president to keep his base engergized but it absolutely is what derailed his election. If he had toned down his rhetoric and at least pretended that he could work with others, he would have won and probably by a fair amount. None of this should be any sort of shocking revelation.

Nowhere did I state the division was along any sort of race or ethnicity line.

The Dems behavior at the Kavanaugh hearings took things to the next level.    I would venture to say the straight up partisan vote on Obamacare was when things changed.   

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Methinks in 2016 a politician called a group of voters "deplorables", and right there and then a movement gained steam where these "deplorables" really didn't give a $hit about unity or feelings and the line was drawn.   

I’m pretty sure she was referencing the white supremacy groups that were (and still are) rabid Trump supporters. But if you think that one comment from a losing candidate is equally divisive as all of Trump’s rhetoric (or perhaps created ALL of the divide in this country), that’s your opinion but it’s far fetched at best. 

1 minute ago, Kermit's Luck said:

I’m pretty sure she was referencing the white supremacy groups that were (and still are) rabid Trump supporters. But if you think that one comment from a losing candidate is equally divisive as all of Trump’s rhetoric (or perhaps created ALL of the divide in this country), that’s your opinion but it’s far fetched at best. 

and if you think that Trump created ALL the divide in this country, you are either living in a cave, to young to know different, or just nieve

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kermit's Luck said:

She said half, not 1-2%

• Upvote 1

Just now, 1972 said:

and if you think that Trump created ALL the divide in this country, you are either living in a cave, to young to know different, or just nieve

Never said that. He’s certainly a symptom of a bigger problem, but not the cause. And unfortunately, he has stoked the flames of division more than I ever thought an American president would do. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kermit's Luck said:

Never said that. He’s certainly a symptom of a bigger problem, but not the cause. And unfortunately, he has stoked the flames of division more than I ever thought an American president would do. 

Objective journalism is dead.  People on both sides are absorbing their information from echo chambers based on pre-disposed beliefs, and it's contributing mightily to the problem.   

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Objective journalism is dead.  People on both sides are absorbing their information from echo chambers based on pre-disposed beliefs, and it's contributing mightily to the problem.   

Mike McFooly would like a couple minutes of your time.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

That references nothing in my post, so why quote me? Trump is divisive. The most divisive politician I’ve ever heard speak. Even his coronavirus update was full of red/blue rhetoric. Glad he lost, that’s for sure. 

6 minutes ago, Kermit's Luck said:

i will agree with that....to a point.  it still seemed as though a lot of people just belived every thing the media told them, and that if they didnt agree with what they were saying...they were the crazy ones.  Trump let those people see that there was alot of other people feeling the same way as they did, and they could do something about it.

Another, albeit minor but real, factor is immigration to this country. 

Politics in other places are far more vocal and (by American standards) nasty. That's what many are used to seeing in the political realm. Watch British PM Time sometime on PBS or wherever. There is some epic old school snark and 'dis' that goes on there. The US Senate will slap your wrist if you call another Senator by first name from the floor. 

Disclaimer: I'm fine as long as it stays words and not physical. Physical violence by any is unacceptable. 

19 minutes ago, Kermit's Luck said:

All the divide?  Are you serious?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Kermit's Luck said:

That references nothing in my post, so why quote me? Trump is divisive. The most divisive politician I’ve ever heard speak. Even his coronavirus update was full of red/blue rhetoric. Glad he lost, that’s for sure. 

Social media has contributed more to divisiveness in this country than Trump, McConnell, Pelosi, Schumer, or any other individual politician, just my opinion.  Thank you for the lesson in message board etiquette, duly noted.   

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Another, albeit minor but real, factor is immigration to this country. 

Politics in other places are far more vocal and (by American standards) nasty. That's what many are used to seeing in the political realm. Watch British PM Time sometime on PBS or wherever. There is some epic old school snark and 'dis' that goes on there. The US Senate will slap your wrist if you call another Senator by first name from the floor. 

Disclaimer: I'm fine as long as it stays words and not physical. Physical violence by any is unacceptable. 

Make dueling great again pls.

48 minutes ago, 1972 said:

is it possible that people were/are tired of the road that the left has been leading us down, really unchecked by anyone in the media or in gov,for over a decade?  do you think that it is possible people needed someone to stand up for them and give them a voice?  most of the country( yes, MOST) does not like what the far left thinks or does, and are tired of media not taking them to task on it.  the strategy of cops are bad, and you deserve to get everything free, and you should shut down any sort of speech or idea you dont like, has finally had people telling govt. "enough".... most people prefer law and order over chaos.  and that is what trump has been saying.  follow the laws of the land.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Upvote 2