SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

A better analogue to Covid would be if a business in an area that isn't hit by a hurricane is forced to close and go bankrupt because a different area of the country is hit by a hurricane.

Closures were up to the states and local governments though. In ND/MN we are practically immune to hurricanes. We are finding out now that we are not immune to Covid.

3 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Yet we had no problem driving up bids for masks and PPE worldwide. 

Nice topic switch.  Did we take masks and PPE from the WHO's supply intended for 3rd world countries or from private businesses?

Just admit you were spreading fake news regarding the refusal of WHO tests that were never truly offered to us.  And if you want to argue that Trump is a moron (in this instance:  for saying the WHO tests were garbage), you'll get no argument from me.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Redneksioux said:

Closures were up to the states and local governments though. In ND/MN we are practically immune to hurricanes. We are finding out now that we are not immune to Covid.

And those closures have for the most part been drawn right on political lines. Obviously hurricanes and covid aren't a perfect analogy, but picture this: If you didn't watch the news in the last 6 months, there are parts, a lot of parts, of our country that wouldn't have any idea there is some sort of virus. Their lives, in some cases, have been devastated by something that never actually happened and wouldn't have happened. That's fear driven by a political agenda, nothing else.

29 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

A bunch of neo-cons upset that their wing of the GOP was rejected by the people is not surprising.

The people?

Lol

You mean the lunatics who hijacked the party. 

I guess the "neo cons" aren't of pure blood?  They didn't pass the test.

Lol

• Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, Goon said:

I am sure we can somehow blame the two hurricanes in the gulf on President Trump too. 

27 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

If he tells everyone down there to go business as usual and the hurricanes will magically disappear, yes we can blame him. Maybe he can draw us up a map of where he thinks the hurricanes will go:)

Let's keep up here: Trump's solutions to hurricanes is to nuke them.

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Nice topic switch.  Did we take masks and PPE from the WHO's supply intended for 3rd world countries or from private businesses?

Just admit you were spreading fake news regarding the refusal of WHO tests that were never truly offered to us.  And if you want to argue that Trump is a moron (in this instance:  for saying the WHO tests were garbage), you'll get no argument from me.

We took PPE from the overall world supply. Also you say these were intended for third world countries but your link shows they were intended for low and middle income countries, but no country would be denied. By claiming these were intended for third world countries could also be considered fake news. The reality is that they were available and we didn't pursue them. Trump called them garbage and here we are 6 months later with garbage tests.

1 minute ago, Redneksioux said:

We took PPE from the overall world supply. Also you say these were intended for third world countries but your link shows they were intended for low and middle income countries, but no country would be denied. By claiming these were intended for third world countries could also be considered fake news. The reality is that they were available and we didn't pursue them. Trump called them garbage and here we are 6 months later with garbage tests.

Keep twisting.  You know those tests weren't intended for us.

3 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

So you admit we have garbage tests yet defend making life changing decisions based on the outcome of those tests?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

So you admit we have garbage tests yet defend making life changing decisions based on the outcome of those tests?

What's the +/- for false negatives/positives? Do you suggest we just stop testing or stop isolating those testing positive?

Just now, Redneksioux said:

What's the +/- for false negatives/positives? Do you suggest we just stop testing or stop isolating those testing positive?

I suggest we do what we've done since the beginning of time.

Isolate yourself if you are vulnerable and if you are actively sick stay out of public places and/or limit your exposure to others. 

Wash your hands, use good hygiene when coughing or sneezing.

This is what we've always done and now we've come full circle on Covid too. We over-reacted on a massive scale and people's lives were ruined and/or stolen from them in cases of suicide and murder rates this year. It disgusts me that nobody will ever admit that and take responsibility for the destruction they've unleashed on our society.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I suggest we do what we've done since the beginning of time.

Isolate yourself if you are vulnerable and if you are actively sick stay out of public places and/or limit your exposure to others. 

Wash your hands, use good hygiene when coughing or sneezing.

This is what we've always done and now we've come full circle on Covid too. We over-reacted on a massive scale and people's lives were ruined and/or stolen from them in cases of suicide and murder rates this year. It disgusts me that nobody will ever admit that and take responsibility for the destruction they've unleashed on our society.

During the 1918 flu pandemic we did more than asking people to stay home when they were sick and to practice good hygiene though. Also you don't need to go back too far to see how other countries have overcome other viruses. 

It's been said countless times on here that people dying with Covid were already on the ledge and about to die anyways. Couldn't the same be said of the businesses that have not been able to adapt or have failed during these times?

10 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

During the 1918 flu pandemic we did more than asking people to stay home when they were sick and to practice good hygiene though. Also you don't need to go back too far to see how other countries have overcome other viruses. 

It's been said countless times on here that people dying with Covid were already on the ledge and about to die anyways. Couldn't the same be said of the businesses that have not been able to adapt or have failed during these times?

I'm not sure how much you know about small businesses, but this is absolutely not the case. Most small businesses are just like most lower income households. They are just scraping by, especially restaurants, even the really successful ones. Being asked to close your business for months and then when you do come back having a capacity reduction mandated on you is a death sentence.

I bartended in college and got to know our GM pretty well to the point where I was aware of the finances of the bar/restaurant. If we missed the revenue from one weekend a month we couldn't make ends meet. Just one weekend. Imagine closing for 2-3 months.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I'm not sure how much you know about small businesses, but this is absolutely not the case. Most small businesses are just like most lower income households. They are just scraping by, especially restaurants, even the really successful ones. Being asked to close your business for months and then when you do come back having a capacity reduction mandated on you is a death sentence.

I bartended in college and got to know our GM pretty well to the point where I was aware of the finances of the bar/restaurant. If we missed the revenue from one weekend a month we couldn't make ends meet. Just one weekend. Imagine closing for 2-3 months.

I know a little bit about small business, though I’m in ND where very little were required to fully close. Where were restaurants asked to fully close for 3 months?

9 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

I know a little bit about small business, though I’m in ND where very little were required to fully close. Where were restaurants asked to fully close for 3 months?

In Minnesota, bars and restaurants were forced closed(take out only) on March 16th. They were allowed in an extremely limited capacity to re-open on June 10th.

Closed Article: https://twincities.eater.com/2020/3/17/21183222/all-minnesota-bars-restaurants-ordered-closed-governor-tim-walz

Opening article: https://patch.com/minnesota/southwestminneapolis/livestream-walz-announce-next-steps-minnesota-covid-19

To this day restaurants have limitation on them that make them significantly less profitable if profitable at all in many cases.

Some of the best restaurants in the Minneapolis area have closed permanently. 

Edit: I should add, many restaurants chose not to stay open during the “take out only” phase because there is no money in take out for many fine dining establishments. People aren’t going to pay $80 for a filet at manny’s you have it taste like junk by the time they get it home.

58 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

The people?

Lol

You mean the lunatics who hijacked the party. 

I guess the "neo cons" aren't of pure blood?  They didn't pass the test.

Lol

They lost and instead of working with the folks who won to advance things they both wings of the party care about, they got mad, took their ball and went home.

Purity tests are for losers, actively subverting your party because you don't like who won the 2016 primary is even worse.

4 hours ago, Redneksioux said:

Fair enough. I seem to remember him rejecting the WHO’s test this spring, as we could do it better. 6 months later, are our tests better?

But it was also WHO who said his travel bad was unwarranted.  It was also Who that said China was very forth coming.

30 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

In Minnesota, bars and restaurants were forced closed(take out only) on March 16th. They were allowed in an extremely limited capacity to re-open on June 10th.

Closed Article: https://twincities.eater.com/2020/3/17/21183222/all-minnesota-bars-restaurants-ordered-closed-governor-tim-walz

Opening article: https://patch.com/minnesota/southwestminneapolis/livestream-walz-announce-next-steps-minnesota-covid-19

To this day restaurants have limitation on them that make them significantly less profitable if profitable at all in many cases.

Edit: I should add, many restaurants chose not to stay open during the “take out only” phase because there is no money in take out for many fine dining establishments. People aren’t going to pay $80 for a filet at manny’s you have it taste like junk by the time they get it home.

REstaurants really need to be running at at least 80-85% capacity to be profitable. Especially high end restaurants where table turnover isnt as fast as other restaurants where the clientel is based on demographics and their lower price points.

33 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

See but those restaurants weren’t forced to fully close, there was still room to adapt and offer takeout. And there is a way to transport a good steak. I understand the fine dining is difficult without the dining room but there are also establishments that have thrived. 

1 minute ago, Redneksioux said:

See but those restaurants weren’t forced to fully close, there was still room to adapt and offer takeout. And there is a way to transport a good steak. I understand the fine dining is difficult without the dining room but there are also restaurants that have thrived. 

Its obvious you arent in the business.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

They lost and instead of working with the folks who won to advance things they both wings of the party care about, they got mad, took their ball and went home.

Purity tests are for losers, actively subverting your party because you don't like who won the 2016 primary is even worse.

Actively supporting the party as it turns to nativist populism (to put it nicely) is worse than cutting your losses.

It's funny watching folks pretend like they have a modicum of decency saying they don't love Trump, but then are staunch anti-anti-Trump. You're not fooling anybody.