SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

Of the roughly 6.2M individuals currently "infected" worldwide 1% are classified to be in serious or critical condition.  99% are in mild condition or asymptotic.

33 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

C8ACC8EB-6D2E-4166-BCDB-1856FE1293F1.jpeg

The key stat in all of this is the fact that in this country 2% of the population (85 years and older) accounts for 32+% of Covid deaths...…...but we all should be happy the unemployment rate just dropped to 10.2 %.

• Upvote 2

And.... the healthcare system did NOT collapse under the weight of Covid.  Medical staff have learned what works better than alternatives (aka ventilators are not the answer).  

No rational person ever believed that controlling cases was the answer. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

And.... the healthcare system did NOT collapse under the weight of Covid.  Medical staff have learned what works better than alternatives (aka ventilators are not the answer).  

No rational person ever believed that controlling cases was the answer

Yet this is now where the goalpost have now moved to nationwide. Locally the Minnesota Department Health in its initial response to the virus was looking at three things in making public health decisions for the state...….not overwhelming hospitals (never happened), see a steady decrease in death totals (happening) and wanting to see a rolling positivity rate of 15% or lower (happening).  Now the shift in policy is needing to see a rolling positivity rate of less the 5% to make public health decisions since the two major issues: deaths and hospitalizations never materialized.  

15 hours ago, Bison06 said:

If this is true they might as well stop working toward a vaccine because it would be useless.

A vaccine is the only way out of this mess. A vaccine that doesn't rely on antibodies.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, mikejm said:

A vaccine is the only way out of this mess. A vaccine that doesn't rely on antibodies.

Why in your mind is a vaccine(untested with the vigor as usual vaccines for safety and efficacy) superior to people acquiring covid naturally. Especially when the vaccine won’t have a high opt in rate.

21 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Why in your mind is a vaccine(untested with the vigor as usual vaccines for safety and efficacy) superior to people acquiring covid naturally. Especially when the vaccine won’t have a high opt in rate.

Maybe you’ve seen something i haven’t But i haven’t seen any data that shows that once you catch covid that you are immune. I’ve read the antibody levels vary from person to person and are believed to diminish in short time. I know there’s hope that NK cells or T cells may be produced that could ramp up the immune response to better fight off disease of those who become re-infected, but aren’t we just crossing our fingers with this?

I don’t think we can bank on herd immunity.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Because having covid is no guarantee you won't get it again. As I've said before, the antibodies are short-lived and won't provide "immunity". Any vaccine is going to have to focus on t-cells rather than living or dead covid cells.

3 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Maybe you’ve seen something i haven’t But i haven’t seen any data that shows that once you catch covid that you are immune. I’ve read the antibody levels vary from person to person and are believed to diminish in short time. I know there’s hope that NK cells or T cells may be produced that could ramp up the immune response to better fight off disease of those who become re-infected, but aren’t we just crossing our fingers with this?

I don’t think we can bank on herd immunity.

But that's the point I've been making. If the antibody response is low with actually organic infection of the wild virus, it's unlikely the response is going to be better than that with a vaccine.

1 minute ago, mikejm said:

Because having covid is no guarantee you won't get it again. As I've said before, the antibodies are short-lived and won't provide "immunity". Any vaccine is going to have to focus on t-cells rather than living or dead covid cells.

Getting the vaccine is going to be no guarantee either. And with low opt in rates(check some of the latest polls) we are banking on this vaccine being a panacea when it is just going to be another tool in the tool box. A vaccine rushed to market like this will likely come with more efficacy and safety issues than usual too.

10 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

But that's the point I've been making. If the antibody response is low with actually organic infection of the wild virus, it's unlikely the response is going to be better than that with a vaccine.

So what do you suggest is done? Nothing? Just let this thing run its course over and over and over again?

Just now, Redneksioux said:

So what do you suggest is done? Nothing? Just let this thing run its course over and over and over again?

I suggest, as I've said from the beginning and what we've done with every single respiratory virus in my lifetime and beyond, we protect and isolate the vulnerable and let it burn through the healthy population. ie Influenza.

• Upvote 1

HMM. Seriously, what possibly could go wrong with Mail-In voting?

Nevada Sent More Than 200K Mail-In Primary Ballots to Wrong Addresses

More than one-sixth of the mail-in ballots sent to voters in Nevada's largest county during the 2020 primary went to outdated addresses, according to a new watchdog report.

The Public Interest Legal Foundation, an election integrity group, reviewed the 1.3 million mail-in ballots Nevada's Clark County sent during the June primary. It found that more than 223,000 of the ballots were sent to outdated addresses, leading the postal service to designate them as "undeliverable." The undeliverable ballots accounted for 17 percent of all ballots mailed to registered voters. Nearly 75 percent of Nevada's total population resides in the county, which includes Las Vegas.

"These numbers show how vote by mail fails," said J. Christian Adams, PILF's president and general counsel. "New proponents of mail balloting don’t often understand how it actually works. States like Oregon and Washington spent many years building their mail voting systems and are notably aggressive with voter list maintenance efforts. Pride in their own systems does not somehow transfer across state lines. Nevada, New York, and others are not and will not be ready for November."

Just now, Redneksioux said:

The difference here is that covid is looking to be much more deadly than influenza currently is. Even with the measures we’ve taken it’s still probably 6x deadlier.

Most experts agree that there are likely millions of undiagnosed asymptomatic cases among us, which brings the death rate much lower

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Redneksioux said:

I’m just basing this off of death counts 

I realize you disagree with this, but as I’ve said, I don’t believe the death count is accurate as they are counting people who died of other things and then test positive for covid.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I realize you disagree with this, but as I’ve said, I don’t believe the death count is accurate as they are counting people who died of other things and then test positive for covid.

But the mortality rate for the flu is almost assuredly significantly overstated based on how its calculated. I don't think there is a legitimate argument that shows they are close to the same. I know death counts are the easiest to point to but the more I see about possible long-term effects for those who recover, the more I wish that would be discussed more in line with infection and death rates. Not a real great way to actually do that though.

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

SMH........

What don't you get???

A vaaccine isn't a cure.

Eradication won't happen with this virus won't happen.

1% of all cases/ infections worldwide are classified as critical/serious. At some point even with a vaccine we have to get back to living.......this isn't going away and not everyone is going to die from it.

I get it. I know a vaccine isn’t a cure. There are people out there that are fine letting it just run its course and just let it be what it is. I don’t agree with that stance when there’s a number of things we can be doing in an attempt to save lives.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

And the same can be said of the flu death counts.

4 hours ago, Hayduke1 said:

If your agenda is to ignore public safety which puts people at risk, STFU.

Quit whining and wear a mask.

I doubt you're running around telling people to STFU.

First off, most people don't run around verbally accosting people. That's considered anti-social behavior. It's also a good way to the crap beaten out of you. Some day you're going to run into someone that doesn't have the patience for a self-righteous social justice warrior and you going to get called on it. 

As far as anti-mask shaming, I wear my mask in stores and around town, as most places require them.

I am not, however, going to just walk up to someone and tell them to put on a mask. Second, In North Dakota people have freedom and if they don't want to wear a mask they don't have to. It's up to the individual store to decide if they want to serve maskless people or not. 

AA34BEF7-6653-4D18-BBE4-23F235396DF4.jpeg

• Upvote 2