SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Gov. Walz orders flags at half-staff for victims lost to COVID on the 19th of every month thru 2020.

Can't make this stuff up.

He's such an American Patriot!

Not agreeing/disagreeing with the action, but Walz is a retired Command Sergeant Major. So, yea, many do consider him an American Patriot.

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

I almost wish newspapers would start laying off journalists too.  Then, I suspect we might hear a different tune from them via their social media, similar to everyone else who has been laid off or owns a business.  

Not print news, but MPR — volunteer furloughs and early outs. 

37 minutes ago, Ranger said:

Not agreeing/disagreeing with the action, but Walz is a retired Command Sergeant Major. So, yea, many do consider him an American Patriot.

Then he should know the significance of that order and those it should be reserved for.

• Upvote 2

For relevancy to what I am talking about we can go back in time to 1968 and the Hong King Flu.

Though largely forgotten, in 1968, the H3N2 (its technical name) pandemic killed 100,000 Americans (plus a million more worldwide), a figure that exceeds the death toll of both the Vietnam and Korean Wars. Moreover, the US population in 1970 was 209 million versus 330 million today, so adjusted for population the number killed was 136,000.

For unclear reasons, however, the 1968 “Hong Kong” flu passed almost unnoticed when it hit, conceivably over-shadowed by the Vietnam War and widespread urban rioting. Closer in time was the epidemic of 1957 that killed 116,000 and the 2009 flu epidemic—H1N1—affected 60.8 million Americans and the estimated death toll was around 12,000.

And this happened in the lifetimes of every American over 52 years of age. 

There were no shutdowns or economical maneuvers or reasons to make things political. There was no panic and no required mask wearing or social distancing.

Nothing was closed by force. Schools mostly stayed open. Businesses did too. You could go to the movies. You could go to bars and restaurants.

In fact, people have no memory or awareness that during the famous Woodstock concert of August 1969 was planned in January during the worse period of death – actually occurred during a deadly American flu pandemic that only peaked globally six months later. There was no thought given to the virus which, like ours today, was dangerous mainly for a non-concert-going demographic.

So what has changed?

Source

Burgum moves state to moderate risk.......gatherings up to 250 people good to go at 50% occupancy at event venues.

On a side note playground equipment at parks in Fargo still a no-no.

6 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Burgum moves state to moderate risk.......gatherings up to 250 people good to go at 50% occupancy at event venues.

< drops snarky comment about women's hockey > 

< flees for exit > 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Huh? Writer is comparing the Hong Kong flu that killed 100,000 Americans over 2.5 years to covid19 that has killed almost 90,000 in 4 months. Not a very good example to prove the point he’s trying to make, but some will buy into it I guess!

• Downvote 2

50 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Huh? Writer is comparing the Hong Kong flu that killed 100,000 Americans over 2.5 years to covid19 that has killed almost 90,000 in 4 months. Not a very good example to prove the point he’s trying to make, but some will buy into it I guess!

As a percentage....viruses don’t know total population or state boundaries

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Redneksioux said:

How many people lived passed 75 in 1968...that’s the real tell.

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

On a side note playground equipment at parks in Fargo still a no-no.

Oh that means you can have an "OXBOW IS A PRETENTIOUS ASSH*LE" party" and 250 people can attend!   I can personally come up with the guest list - with room to spare

• Downvote 2

7 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

How many people lived passed 75 in 1968...that’s the real tell.

So people just died ten years earlier 50 years back and skipped the comorbodities?

If that makes you feel better about comparing the severity of the Hong Kong flu to be worse than covid19 fine, whatever floats your boat.

the reality is the Hong Kong flu killed about the same amount of Americans as our annual flue does. covid19 is about to kill more us citizens in 5 months than the Hong Kong flu did over 2.5 years.

8 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

As a percentage....viruses don’t know total population or state boundaries

Our population is 66% greater than 1968.

But covid19 is on currently on pace to be 500% more deadly than the Hong Kong flu was to US residents. 

The writer might as well have been comparing osteosarcoma to rhinovirus.

9 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

If that makes you feel better about comparing the severity of the Hong Kong flu to be worse than covid19 fine, whatever floats your boat.

the reality is the Hong Kong flu killed about the same amount of Americans as our annual flue does. covid19 is about to kill more us citizens in 5 months than the Hong Kong flu did over 2.5 years.

You'd best get back to living, then, because maybe it's coming for you, too.

Seriously, what's your angle?  Do you have some morbid fascination with worrying about death, or other things that are completely beyond your control?  Are you allowing this COVID hysteria to absolutely run your life?  Numbers, numbers, numbers...what do the numbers even mean?  They're numbers!  How much time did you spend contemplating global mortality rates prior to March, 2020?

If I told you that COVID 19 was absolutely going to kill 100% of Americans by year's end, at what point would you stop lamenting it and go out and LIVE?

We're all on the same team, and all playing by the same rules.  Yet we have this endless back and forth between people who are willing to move on and people who aren't.  Maybe the doom-and-gloomers should just keep it to themselves.  That racket you hear outside your bunker is the rest of us, living our lives.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

You'd best get back to living, then, because maybe it's coming for you, too.

Seriously, what's your angle?  Do you have some morbid fascination with worrying about death, or other things that are completely beyond your control?  Are you allowing this COVID hysteria to absolutely run your life?  Numbers, numbers, numbers...what do the numbers even mean?  They're numbers!  How much time did you spend contemplating global mortality rates prior to March, 2020?

If I told you that COVID 19 was absolutely going to kill 100% of Americans by year's end, at what point would you stop lamenting it and go out and LIVE?

We're all on the same team, and all playing by the same rules.  Yet we have this endless back and forth between people who are willing to move on and people who aren't.  Maybe the doom-and-gloomers should just keep it to themselves.  That racket you hear outside your bunker is the rest of us, living our lives.

I was simply replying that information shared in the link was misleading. What’s you fascination with sharing misinformation?

Would you prefer we go back to your other favorite topic of “no scientific benefit of mask use”?

7 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Oh that means you can have an "OXBOW IS A PRETENTIOUS ASSH*LE" party" and 250 people can attend!   I can personally come up with the guest list - with room to spare

Pretentious?   I prefer ostentatious but I know you have no clue what that means.

Sounds great. I'll put dlsiouxfan in charge of garbage collection/disposal......and entertainment. He'll be performing his famous General Patton impersonation while performing karaoke.

I'll put you in change of tending to the Jiffy Jon because one POS knows another. BTW you'll need to wipe the door handle down after everyone takes their turn licking it as well. 

Oh wait...... you're not available to work at my party tonight. You're still washing yzerman's fleet of cars.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Our population is 66% greater than 1968.

But covid19 is on currently on pace to be 500% more deadly than the Hong Kong flu was to US residents. 

The writer might as well have been comparing osteosarcoma to rhinovirus.

How were the deaths computed for both?  Apples at apples?  Based on how the deaths are reported for Covid the numbers are clearly overstated.   Whether it was the same for the HHF I don’t know, but it certainly was much harder on young folks.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/lessons-to-be-learned-from-1957-pandemic/

For your 500% greater total, I’ll take the under.  For the unemployment numbers next week, I’ll continue to cash on the over.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Sounds great. I'll put dlsiouxfan in charge of garbage collection/disposal......and entertainment. He'll be performing his famous General Patton impersonation.

I'll put you in change of tending to the Jiffy Jon because one POS knows another. You'll need to wipe the door handle down after everyone licks it as well. 

Oh wait...... you're not available to work my party tonight. You're still washing yzerman's fleet of cars.

Put Old Fella in charge of masks.  He seems to know his stuff.