SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

4 hours ago, Cratter said:

The average person comes into contact with over 100 people a week?

Be interesting to know those numbers.

Apparently the tracing guidelines are within 6 feet for 10 minutes or more.  

So probably just a household and some coworkers.

2 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

True contract tracing is basically moot, unless we start using antibody testing those people who " think they probably had it back in January or Feb or before.

Are more people dying than "normal" baseline deathrates in any  state or region?

When we highlight every death it magnifies this thing but, would many of these people died of a fall, or respiratory failure, or something else.

All of the data and daily testing is only telling us a snapshot of information that is extreamly incomplete. Its like counting shots on goal but completely ignoring shot attempts and the players who had the puck earlier.

Hospitalization data is pertinent obviously, but in reality out of contextual data of previous hospital occupancy, it doesnt mean nearly as much.

Corona is a bad bad bug, it can kill.

I'm almost sure ive already been a carrier befor the media feasted on it. Most likely the same is true of you.

I dont want to die of corona but i also dont want to die of starvation or famine or unrest at economic and social destruction at the hands of misplaced reactions, and I dont want to be left with the financial option of having to borrow a bullet and rent a gun. Which is a very real reality for an exponentially increasing segments of our population.

I need more of these hockey metaphors in this discussion, greatly increases the thread's appeal IMO

• Upvote 1

I'm still trying to figure out the LM debacle in Grand Forks. Employees were filing complaints with the city weeks before the closure. The mayor assigned the EDC director to investigate. What does the EDC know about public and worker health? Why was this shrugged off with a single phone call to LM saying all is well.

How is our government at every level completely unprepared for anything thrown at them?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Redneksioux said:

I'm still trying to figure out the LM debacle in Grand Forks. Employees were filing complaints with the city weeks before the closure. The mayor assigned the EDC director to investigate. What does the EDC know about public and worker health? Why was this shrugged off with a single phone call to LM saying all is well.

How is our government at every level completely unprepared for anything thrown at them?

I think the most ridiculous part was the health director Swanson lady saying they don't do inspections or something to that effect.  Typical city hall empty suit.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

I think the most ridiculous part was the health director Swanson lady saying they don't do inspections or something to that effect.  Typical city hall empty suit.  

I couldn't agree more about Mayor Brown doing nothing.  Probably shouldn't be surprised.  I really hope GF gets a change in leadership in June.

Of course the Biggest news story of the day in MN was the announcement of the ramping up of testing, led by the Mayo and the U of M to have a goal of up to 20,000 diagnostic tests and up to 15,000 antibody tests per day. 

Walz was blunt, its on him if it doesn't happen. 

We shall see what happens. 

7 hours ago, Redneksioux said:

If we are going to begin to open things up in the state we need to have the capacity to contract trace and test. Yeah this is on the general public to get tested if you show symptoms but if there is contract tracing to be done we need to get it done.

how about this....if you feel fine go to work...stay back when talking, wash your hands... if you feel sick stay home for a few days....if you don't feel better after a couple of days call the hospital and tell them your coming in.

simple plan whether or not the rona is around. seems like common damn sense to me. 

two more weeks tho...two more.

• Upvote 1

On 4/20/2020 at 5:23 PM, jdub27 said:

Georgia is going to be the first to test the waters in a limited fashion.

Georgia is the guinea pig.  The nation's experimental subject reflecting one extreme end of the spectrum.   

Not only does the state have large metropolitan areas with no adequate testing and contact tracing, apparently the Governor never bothered to notify Mayors before his announcement leaving them scrambling.  Mayors of Atlanta, Savannah, Augusta, etc. are all pushing-back against the decision.   Get your popcorn, Georgia will be a free-for-all.

24 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I see Montana is giving local school districts the option to return to in-school learning on May 7th.

They might be the first one that I have seen to give that option. 

Glad their governor sees the big picture. Good for him and the kids in MT.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

Glad their governor sees the big picture. Good for him and the kids in MT.

It will be interesting to see how many districts inside MT decide to do that.

It will also interesting to see if any other state follows this.  

Rumor is MN is potentially making their decision tomorrow.  I would be SHOCKED if we go back. 

1 minute ago, SWSiouxMN said:

It will be interesting to see how many districts inside MT decide to do that.

It will also interesting to see if any other state follows this.  

Rumor is MN is potentially making their decision tomorrow.  I would be SHOCKED if we go back. 

Zero chance for MN. Walz still sitting on 20K.

4 minutes ago, keikla said:

This is a good depiction of covid patients.  Covid pneumonia is present in just about every patient warranting hospital admission.  The quick decline of oxygen saturation explains why there are so many codes, so many patients who die unexpectedly on a med surg floor or in the hallway of the ER while waiting for a room, or at home before even making it to the hospital.  Covid is also exacerbating other disease states, so a diabetic patient will present in diabetic ketoacidosis, not just with shortness of breath.  This only complicates the treatment plan.

Monitoring oxygen levels at home is a great idea, but consider pulse oximeters as another 'shortage' item in hotbed areas.  When I got sick last week, I had to have my parents overnight a pulse ox from Minnesota, as there were none to be found anywhere near here or online.  It's difficult to measure at an initial outpatient visit, as most of those are now being done via telemedicine.

Lying on the side or stomach (mostly stomach) has also proved to be a huge help in opening up the lungs.  We do this with intubated patients, patients who we're trying to delay intubation, and I even found it extremely beneficial at home.

I appreciate the feedback.  

11 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Zero chance for MN. Walz still sitting on 20K.

Its why before the order when down the first time, I got all of my things out the classroom. 

What really sucks is that I won't get a chance to watch either of my cousins play baseball this year (one is a senior, the other is a freshman at St. Thomas)

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Georgia is the guinea pig.  The nation's experimental subject reflecting one extreme end of the spectrum.   

Not only does the state have large metropolitan areas with no adequate testing and contact tracing, apparently the Governor never bothered to notify Mayors before his announcement leaving them scrambling.  Mayors of Atlanta, Savannah, Augusta, etc. are all pushing-back against the decision.   Get your popcorn, Georgia will be a free-for-all.

It will be.  However, business still can say:  While I have the option to do so, I chose to stay closed. 

Lot of people are pushing back... but I hope that their plan works and doesn't end it a setback.

42 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

You sound worried.

6 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Delta reported $534M loss in first quarter. 2nd quarter projected to be worse.

United was 2.1B and without the cares act would not have been able to make payroll.   At one point united was losing 100m a day until vloa and flight reductions kicked in. 

• Upvote 1