SiouxSports.com Forum

#6 UND (13-17) vs #3 USD (20-11) 3/8 830 Summit League Quarterfinals

SWSiouxMN

Just now, KoolGuy2K said:

Helluva comeback. What a great game! Gotta hit a few more of those free throws. 

Free throws kept us in the first half, and sealed the game at the very end, so I’m happy with our FT stats overall. 

• Upvote 1

I've got to be given minor....minor props for that win.  Every time I started watching the Yotes went on a run.....(we lead 21-7, and start of half two tied).  Eikens couldn't hit water from a boat, team couldn't make free throws, etc.  

I checked in periodically after the Yotes were up 11 and quickly changed it so I wouldn't hurt the team when they were clawing back in it.

I did watch the last minute and a half, but they were able to overcome my bad karma.  Well done fellas!!

13 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

So looks like we play Fort Wayne and are cheering for Oral Roberts

No

I want NDSU.

I want the Bison

I want to beat the Dons and NDSU to beat ORU.

I don't care if every Bison fan says be careful what you wish for... I want them!

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

No

I want NDSU.

I want the Bison

I want to beat the Dons and NDSU to beat ORU.

I don't care if every Bison fan says be careful what you wish for... I want them!

It would definitely mean a lot for the state and the rivalry. 

• Upvote 1

I just got back to the hotel.  My thoughts:

This was Sather's best coached game of the season.  He pushed every button and got after his guys and the refs. How he handled Marlon and Rebraca with 2 fouls for a good chunk of the 1st half was excellent.  

This was a big team win, but I want to highlight a few individuals.

Billy Brown: THAT is the Billy that UND needs the rest of the tournament.  That was the guy who shot 46% from 3 last year.  He was making good cuts to the basket and being aggressive.  

Brady Danielson:  He was getting his butt kicked for most of the night truthfully, but the last 30 seconds of the game... he showed what he is capable of.  Draws a charge that led to the winning bucket on the other ends, battles and grabs the rebound, and calmly knocks down the clutch free throws. 

Marlon Stewart:  I told the guy sitting next to me before Marlon hit the shot that he needed to drive to the hoop or hit that mid-range Q jumper.  He hit another clutch shot.   

DAE and Rebraca struggled, but they battled and had big moments down the stretch.

6-6 from free throw line down the stretch.  Clutch.

Any chance you guys can get down to Sioux Falls... do it.  The door has been swung WIDE open for UND to get to the title game on Tuesday night.  They do need to get by the Dons.... can't think ahead just yet.  

• Upvote 3

One of the great things for UND about the Summit League tournament is that there is no overlap with hockey. As an example, think of the 9 day stretch we are currently in - Friday and Saturday hockey at Omaha; Sunday, Monday , and Tuesday? Playoff MBB in Sioux Falls, and Friday and Saturday playoff hockey in Grand Forks. A person with some time on their hands could attend all of those events all within a  7  hour drive of each other. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

This was Sather's best coached game of the season.  He pushed every button and got after his guys and the refs. How he handled Marlon and Rebraca with 2 fouls for a good chunk of the 1st half was excellent.  

Agree on this.  Not sure if Jones would have done the same given the situation. Also, Not sure if it was coached thing or not, but getting USD into team foul trouble in the second half, while staying out of foul trouble ourselves, was a literal game changer. 

4 hours ago, Dustin said:

One of the great things for UND about the Summit League tournament is that there is no overlap with hockey. As an example, think of the 9 day stretch we are currently in - Friday and Saturday hockey at Omaha; Sunday, Monday , and Tuesday? Playoff MBB in Sioux Falls, and Friday and Saturday playoff hockey in Grand Forks. A person with some time on their hands could attend all of those events all within a  7  hour drive of each other. 

But, the Big Sky has like, cool football venues???

My dad, who usually is a Jacks fan, repped UND and was quite happy with the win.  He doesn’t usually despise the Yotes but is not a fan of Todd Lee.

The Yote fans behind us were passionate and into it, but were respectful and shook hands at the end.

Also ran into someone on the officials bench at the hotel: he said the shot clock call was blown.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Dustin said:

Agree on this.  Not sure if Jones would have done the same given the situation. Also, Not sure if it was coached thing or not, but getting USD into team foul trouble in the second half, while staying out of foul trouble ourselves, was a literal game changer. 

Sather’s offense is an attack the heart of the paint mentality, whether is it a driving for a shot or driving and kicking out for 3.  So this will draw a lot of fouls and getting people to the line.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Sather is the best HC hire for UND since the D1 transition. He's the real deal.  Great win for the players and coaches.

Loved getting a chance to listen to him mic'd up at the timeouts.  His post game interview as well.  A+

• Upvote 1

• UNDBIZ changed the title to #6 UND (13-17) vs #3 USD (20-11) 3/8 830 Summit League Quarterfinals