SiouxSports.com Forum

Omaha @ UND -- Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

1 hour ago, Irish said:

Once again a Berry team looks like crap after the Christmas Break - remember the pact?   

If you look at trends , Berry’s team do play worse in the second half except for year 1.The first 3 this year the team stunk hope it’s not an indication of how the second half will go.

They were not going to win out the second half of the season, but they need to avoid losing to teams like UNO.  These teams are so far down in the pairwise that another loss will likely drop the Sioux to 4th or 5th--after being #1 heading into weekend.  These guys need to be motivated playing teams like this.  They may not think these games matter, but they do.  They will make the NCAA;s, but need to stay focused.

After watching the last 3 games this team needs to get something from 8, 10 and 28 more consistently. 3 talented draft picks but tough to notice them on the ice right now. 

Tychonick needs to play tonight. With Yon hurt I'd go with Rieger as the extra. He can slide up front or back.

Scheel gets the start tonight to prove the last 3 games aren't a trend.

9 hours ago, Username Taken said:

They’ve slept thru the last 3 games. Time to wake up from the break. 

Completely agree, their big guns (for the most part) were out to lunch.  Completely unnoticeable for 95% of their shifts.  If Tychonik is healthy he has to play.  No more mind games.  On the flip side, they weren't  going to run the table so losses are to be expected from time to time. Just haven’t liked what I’ve seen since the break.

It’s funny/annoying seeing everyone’s praises when things are up, one loss to UNO and pitchforks come out and trashing guys starts. They’re college kids. Even the good pro teams have off nights. Settle down. They’re fine. Redeem the effort tonight and split. A loss like that can serve purpose. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Langster019 said:

It’s funny/annoying seeing everyone’s praises when things are up, one loss to UNO and pitchforks come out and trashing guys starts. They’re college kids. Even the good pro teams have off nights. Settle down. They’re fine. Redeem the effort tonight and split. A loss like that can serve purpose. 

For me it’s not so much the loss but the way we lost. Our d and goaltending was asleep at the wheel, our forwards lack intensity and the passing was not good at all, shooting wide. They were getting beat on all parts of the game. Of course losses are going to happen but the last three games have not been their best performances.  I know our power play has never been very good but last night it was exceptionally horrible. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bigmackattack said:

These teams are so far down in the pairwise that another loss will likely drop the Sioux to 4th or 5th--after being #1 heading into weekend.  These guys need to be motivated playing teams like this.  They may not think these games matter, but they do.  They will make the NCAA’s, but need to stay focused.

4th or 5th?  OH NO!  History has shown that the #1 overall seed and tournament favorite wins the NCAA title like 90% of the time.  Oh, wait, or is that lose the first game of the tournament like 90% of the time?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

Say what you want about Omaha, but they have played everyone fairly even. Good coaching, young squad, on the rise. I saw the game as pretty even, pretty exciting, just one of those outcomes. Will the Sioux recover, of course. Will the Mavericks go to the NCAA’s, probably not. But today they aren’t a very good team is uninformed.

I've watched them a few times and haven't really been impressed with them any time I've watched. Last night to me was more about what the Sioux didn't do than what Omaha did to win. Yes Omaha still had to take advantage of those mistakes. In my opinion they aren't a very good team, they aren't really bad like a Canisius but they aren't good or a top 25ish team either. Average team at best and a team we should take care of if we want to be one of the top teams in the country.

Check out a recap of Friday with a look ahead to saturday. For me this game was a bit of a flashback Friday. In basketball terms as the game went on, especially in the second period, UND had to put up more 3's but could not rebound enough to get easy put backs. That was the biggest concern. Omaha cleared the net front routinely as well. Read and let me know your thoughts. https://seamoresports.com/2020/01/11/6-3-how-nebraska-omaha-upset-und-and-what-to-watch-for-saturday-night/

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

After watching the last 3 games this team needs to get something from 8, 10 and 28 more consistently. 3 talented draft picks but tough to notice them on the ice right now. 

Tychonick needs to play tonight. With Yon hurt I'd go with Rieger as the extra. He can slide up front or back.

Scheel gets the start tonight to prove the last 3 games aren't a trend.

Tychonick in for who? I think I'd go Bast he has really struggled since coming back from injury. Last night was maybe his worst game he has played for UND.

I thought Keane brought some good energy when he got some shifts in the 3rd period. So if they use someone else in the extra forward spot I'd like to see Keane stay in the lineup.

I think the coach made the wrong choice on the first empty net faceoffs in Omaha zone. Pinto had been playing like crap and losing more than winning in face offs. Why not put your best faceoff man on the team, weatherby, to take a key crucial draw. Pinto lost yet abother facetious which turned the 3-4 game into 3-5. Then the next time we had an empty net faceoffs, he puts pinto back out for the faceoffs and he losses again. To me, that's on the coaches for poor choice of face off man. That and not pulling Scheel after goal 2 or goal 3. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, ksl_sioux4ever said:

I think the coach made the wrong choice on the first empty net faceoffs in Omaha zone. Pinto had been playing like crap and losing more than winning in face offs. Why not put your best faceoff man on the team, weatherby, to take a key crucial draw. Pinto lost yet abother facetious which turned the 3-4 game into 3-5. Then the next time we had an empty net faceoffs, he puts pinto back out for the faceoffs and he losses again. To me, that's on the coaches for poor choice of face off man. That and not pulling Scheel after goal 2 or goal 3. 

I also didn’t think it was a smart move on the coaches part to pull the goalie that early. We were not winning ozone face offs and we were doing absolutely nothing with the man advantage. Any momentum we had going for the last few minutes was completely ruined due to the first empty net goal. Just not a smart decision, I knew once we pulled the goalie we were going to get scored on. If I can see that I can’t see how the coaches can’t. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, brianvf said:

For the most part the D played ok last night. They held a high scoring team to 13 sog. You’re not going to lose many games when the opposing team barely gets over 10 shots. 

Clean up some lapses from the net and they should be fine. 

I'd be willing to bet we won't lose another game allowing 13 SOGs and scoring 3 goals. I thought our first was good. Second, not so much. Third was solid. We'll be fine. We got spoiled like crazy in the first half. Win tonight, move on.

11 hours ago, bigmackattack said:

They were not going to win out the second half of the season, but they need to avoid losing to teams like UNO.  These teams are so far down in the pairwise that another loss will likely drop the Sioux to 4th or 5th--after being #1 heading into weekend.  These guys need to be motivated playing teams like this.  They may not think these games matter, but they do.  They will make the NCAA;s, but need to stay focused.

Good points, but a last-place team in the NCHC is different than a last-place team in other leagues (like the WCHA for instance). Every game is a battle.