SiouxSports.com Forum

SCSU @ UND -- Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

That top unit would be elite ((c) PJ) if Mismash had Cole Smith's motor.  That group is tough to handle when they have control, but too many times it's one and done and as @scpa0305 mentioned nobody works to get it back.

Agree but to his credit Mismash was as good as I've seen him play along the wall last night. Won't use the word tenacious but his effort was really good.

6 minutes ago, snova4 said:

This team is fun to watch. For unheralded recruits, Senden's line is the best we've got. Absolutely set the tone and hustle level every game. 

Absolutely.  It's no coincidence that they get put out after timeouts 90 percent of the time.  

Imagine having to practice against that line every day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Yep, thought same...not just one.

But....but.....Rhett won faceoffs and Shaw coached in the NHL????

Who else is going to give DULUTH two extended five on three PP's with stupid penalties?

How the guy never got the healthy scratch treatment is beyond me.  Then he goes months without scoring and scores his first professional game.

*EDITED, IT WAS DULUTH, NOT SCSU.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Wilbur said:

But....but.....Rhett won faceoffs and Shaw coached in the NHL????

Who else is going to give SCSU two extended five on three PP's with stupid penalties?

How the guy never got the healthy scratch treatment is beyond me.  Then he goes months without scoring and scores his first professional game.

download.png

32 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Are we really ripping on a former coach and player in the midst of an 8-game winning streak? Goodness, guys.

This conversation is BECAUSE this team is on an 8 game winning streak. No one on this board had a hand in Shaw being let go nor did anyone here cause Rhett to use up his eligibility or help bring Pinto in. 

This team's PP is a 180 from last year. This team's discipline is a 180 from last year as is there play at the center position 1-4.

If that's "ripping" on those 2 then I'll put you in the camp that wishes those 2 were back and KG and Pinto were elsewhere.

Maybe this conversation is just about how good of additions KG and Pinto have been plus addition by substraction.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

If that's "ripping" on those 2 then I'll put you in the camp that wishes those 2 were back and KG and Pinto were elsewhere.

Maybe this conversation is just about how good of additions KG and Pinto have been plus addition by substraction.

Um, no. That's not the same thing lol. 

It's all good, man. I'm just wondering why the pot shots were necessary. We're rolling. Eff last year. 

• Like 1

This team is really fun to watch. Such a different style than last year and just seem to be playing more freely and confident. I don't know if there is one returner that looks like they didn't make a significant jump from last season to this season. I'm not talking about just in production either if you watched last season and are now watching this season the difference in guys is so obvious.

I believe we'd be on an 8 game win streak with or without Rhett, I seem to remember us having a couple 3 on 5's and a couple major penalties in Denver just last Saturday so did Rhett take those as well?  The reason we still won? We're better in all facets then last year. Goaltending, shooting %, pp, pk.  I will agree KG has been a very welcome addition that we missed dearly. If I recall correctly, the lynch mob on here thought Dixon and Berry needed to be shown the door last year too.  Since we're playing revisionists, how's that working out?

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Any guesses on line changes? Berry hinted as such in his post game. 

Not sure where though. Thought Pinto's line got better as the night went along. The top line and Senden's line were dominant in stretches. 

Bowen IMO needs to be in the lineup due to his PK ability but as extra skater? Weatherby is a center....not a wing. Like Blaisdell a lot. Who's the other wing if it's not Bowen?

I’m actually in the camp that I hope we really don’t change much if anything with the lines. I really like that 4th line of Bowen-Weatherby-Blaisdell and think our depth can really wear teams down. Weatherby is turning into a beast down low. I like how Caulfield’s game has come along and thought he fit in ok with Pinto and Michaud. Sorry but I don’t want to see Johnson again unless we have injuries. He’s clearly the 15th forward in my book

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

I’m actually in the camp that I hope we really don’t change much if anything with the lines. I really like that 4th line of Bowen-Weatherby-Blaisdell and think our depth can really wear teams down. Weatherby is turning into a beast down low. I like how Caulfield’s game has come along and thought he fit in ok with Pinto and Michaud. Sorry but I don’t want to see Johnson again unless we have injuries. He’s clearly the 15th forward in my book

I don't think he's saying he's wanting changes, but believes there will be based on Bubbs' comments last night. I'd prefer Johnson didn't play over anyone in the lineup last night. 

33 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

I agree. I think the personnel we had in the game last night is the way to go.

There’s honestly IMO, not that many changes you could make. I think they like Michaud and Pinto together, and I’d say the same about Guch and Adams. You could flip the other wingers on those lines if you really wanted to I guess.  Senden line they won’t touch. 4th line is really the only thing they could change, which I’m opposed to. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Remember when taking a penalty against St Cloud was a huge mistake? Their lethal power play is nothing but a distant memory now.

Yes, I realize they scored on the PP last night, but it wasn't exactly a skill play or well-executed set up.

I mean, they are running a 24% PP without guys named Schuldt, Poehling, Newell, Jackson and Lizzote. I just think our PK is really, really good!

For me, returning players didn’t just suddenly get better from last year, especially after a couple years where we saw very few “jumps”. Sure, some of that and some good talent coming in, but I’m in the camp that there was an underlying issue. I won’t blame Gardner or Shaw because I don’t have enough context to say where it came from, but whether coaching or leadership, there was clearly something wrong with the dynamic of the team. We tend to blame the coaches or the players but most of us have probably experienced a sports team or even at work where theres a problem and that can derail even your stars to not care or perform poorly (losing attitude). I never thought it was a talent issue even if slightly down, but rather an attitude and cultural issue that talent alone wasn’t strong enough to overcome. Case in point, years and years of talented Michigan/UMN/ etc teams who never gelled or played the right team game to find success. I actually thought they should consider a sports psychologist and take a very close look at any detractors in the room, last couple years. Whatever they changed, it seems to have worked to start getting the best out of the players instead of disinterested/going through the motions and playing frustrated. Suspect Karl has a big hand in that given the positivity he’s always brought and Bubbs and Dane even seem reinvigorated this year. 

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I believe we'd be on an 8 game win streak with or without Rhett, I seem to remember us having a couple 3 on 5's and a couple major penalties in Denver just last Saturday so did Rhett take those as well?  The reason we still won? We're better in all facets then last year. Goaltending, shooting %, pp, pk.  I will agree KG has been a very welcome addition that we missed dearly. If I recall correctly, the lynch mob on here thought Dixon and Berry needed to be shown the door last year too.  Since we're playing revisionists, how's that working out?

I'll bite.  Berry made a fantastic move by bringing in Karl.  Great hire, good energy, great recruiter.  

You can't possibly be comparing what happened in Denver to what Rhett did last season that helped put the team on the road in the playoffs?  That was the captain too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Brett0909 said:

For me, returning players didn’t just suddenly get better from last year, especially after a couple years where we saw very few “jumps”. Sure, some of that and some good talent coming in, but I’m in the camp that there was an underlying issue. I won’t blame Gardner or Shaw because I don’t have enough context to say where it came from, but whether coaching or leadership, there was clearly something wrong with the dynamic of the team. We tend to blame the coaches or the players but most of us have probably experienced a sports team or even at work where theres a problem and that can derail even your stars to not care or perform poorly (losing attitude). I never thought it was a talent issue even if slightly down, but rather an attitude and cultural issue that talent alone wasn’t strong enough to overcome. Case in point, years and years of talented Michigan/UMN/ etc teams who never gelled or played the right team game to find success. I actually thought they should consider a sports psychologist and take a very close look at any detractors in the room, last couple years. Whatever they changed, it seems to have worked to start getting the best out of the players instead of disinterested/going through the motions and playing frustrated. Suspect Karl has a big hand in that given the positivity he’s always brought and Bubbs and Dane even seem reinvigorated this year. 

I disagree.  Despite not being able to put the puck in the net to save their lives, or their season, they came to play hard every game, which you couldn't do with a broken culture.  I thought it showed good coaching.  They were one of the best puck possession teams in the country, which you can't be without playing hard.  It's as simple as they just couldn't score. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, jk said:

I disagree.  Despite not being able to put the puck in the net to save their lives, or their season, they came to play hard every game, which you couldn't do with a broken culture.  I thought it showed good coaching.  They were one of the best puck possession teams in the country, which you can't be without playing hard.  It's as simple as they just couldn't score. 

All of my DU fans agree-last year, they felt that the better team lost that playoff series. DU just happened to capitalize on their chances a little more plus had the benefit of home ice and last line change. 

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I'll bite.  Berry made a fantastic move by bringing in Karl.  Great hire, good energy, great recruiter.  

You can't possibly be comparing what happened in Denver to what Rhett did last season that helped put the team on the road in the playoffs?  That was the captain too.

No I am not but I'm saying Rhett was not the problem last year. Was he undisciplined? Absolutely. But he was also part of the line that shut down the opponents best line as a freshman.

The problem IMO was we didnt have the talent on the front end to move him back to 2nd or 3rd line center like we do this yr. Hes not a scorer and never will be. Having added guys that can score like Michaud, Pinto, Collin Adams up the middle (same jersey but I swear it's a different person) has completely changed the dynamic.  Last year we didnt have a better option and Rhett was forced into a position(1st line center) that doesnt fit his skill set. My $.02

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

No I am not but I'm saying Rhett was not the problem last year. Was he undisciplined? Absolutely. But he was also part of the line that shut down the opponents best line as a freshman.

The problem IMO was we didnt have the talent on the front end to move him back to 2nd or 3rd line center like we do this yr. Hes not a scorer and never will be. Having added guys that can score like Michaud, Pinto, Collin Adams up the middle (same jersey but I swear it's a different person) has completely changed the dynamic.  Last year we didnt have a better option and Rhett was forced into a position(1st line center) that doesnt fit his skill set. My $.02

We are currently putting out a 4th line with 2 draft picks instead of whatever the hell we put out last season. Improving our depth at forward has been crucial IMO.  Often times each team’s top 6 can become a wash with line matchups so if we can start getting a mismatch on the bottom lines, later in the year could be a key.