SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 2019-20

54 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Didn't it start when Grant Potulny was there? That's why the Goofs did it.

Yeah, I graduated the same year as Grant.  I don't remember if they did it my entire HS, but they definitely were doing it by my senior year.

How does Mike LaMoine not get coach of the year?! Gave it to Grant @ central. Wow!

I would assume next year RR is your favorite by looking at their current roster.

Again, kudos to Mike LaMoine! If Ryan Ladoucer was RR's coach this year, they're probably not state champions. Just staying, not hating on Ryan L. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

ND HS girls hockey is a joke IMO. "Bismarck" wins their 6th straight title. One HS team in Bismarck? Again really? Legacy, Century, BHS, St. Mary's, Shiloh Christian.....but just one team. DL, Jamestown, Mandan, Dickinson can fields teams but Century can't? BHS can't? Not saying every HS in Bismarck needs to have a girls hockey team but just one is ridiculous.

It’s a downright travesty. Hard to believe ND Athletic Commission doesn’t do anything about it. Unreal. Needless to say when I coached the girls high school  team from 08-13 my most satisfying wins were against them 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

ND HS girls hockey is a joke IMO. "Bismarck" wins their 6th straight title. One HS team in Bismarck? Again really? Legacy, Century, BHS, St. Mary's, Shiloh Christian.....but just one team. DL, Jamestown, Mandan, Dickinson can fields teams but Century can't? BHS can't? Not saying every HS in Bismarck needs to have a girls hockey team but just one is ridiculous.

As each year passes I’m surprised over and over that it’s still one team. 

11 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

As each year passes I’m surprised over and over that it’s still one team. 

Don’t forget Fargo N/S/Sh., GF and West Fargo United. 

I feel that NDHSAA is not interested in growing girls hockey or any hockey in general. Some of these issues may have been resolved already if that were the case.   i.e 2 class system etc...

• Like 1

Just now, Clark17 said:

I feel that NDHSAA is not interested in growing girls hockey or any hockey in general. Some of these issues may have been resolved already if that were the case.   i.e 2 class system etc...

And NDAHA is extremely protective of their “own”.  

43 minutes ago, Clark17 said:

Look up the enrollment of the 5 bis schools and add them together vs these other schools you’ve listed. It’s not even close 

With that said, the WF, Fargo, GF and Minot schools are next, but Bismarck is by far biggest issue. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

How does Mike LaMoine not get coach of the year?! Gave it to Grant @ central. Wow!

I would assume next year RR is your favorite by looking at their current roster.

Again, kudos to Mike LaMoine! If Ryan Ladoucer was RR's coach this year, they're probably not state champions. Just staying, not hating on Ryan L. 

Because coach of the year is chosen before the edc tournament. Red River finishing 4th in the east wasn't going to win LaMoine coach of the year.

4 hours ago, SiouxBoys said:

Because coach of the year is chosen before the edc tournament. Red River finishing 4th in the east wasn't going to win LaMoine coach of the year.

We used to vote on it at the coaches meeting the morning of the championship game.  Every present coach got a vote. 

It's been about ten years since I coached though, so could of changed. 

16 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

We used to vote on it at the coaches meeting the morning of the championship game.  Every present coach got a vote. 

It's been about ten years since I coached though, so could of changed. 

Yes but the nominees for coach of the year were Paranica (edc coach of the year) and whoever the wda coach of the year was. Just like how the nominees for Mr. Hockey were Lawsonbody (edc player of the year) and Conner Hanson (wda player of the year). 

1 minute ago, SiouxBoys said:

Yes but the nominees for coach of the year were Paranica (edc coach of the year) and whoever the wda coach of the year was. Just like how the nominees for Mr. Hockey were Lawsonbody (edc player of the year) and Conner Hanson (wda player of the year). 

Ohh that's right.  Carries over from the regional votes.

I don't miss those meetings, boy they'd get tense. :lol:

23 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Gf hockey rules 

Upcoming younger players may change that in the near future.

Big win for the Fargo Squirt Black team being the first Fargo team to win their Squirt International tournament in it's 36 year history.

Familiar name to long time Sioux fans involved in helping this to happen.

1 hour ago, Speez said:

Upcoming younger players may change that in the near future.

Big win for the Fargo Squirt Black team being the first Fargo team to win their Squirt International tournament in it's 36 year history.

Familiar name to long time Sioux fans involved in helping this to happen.

Okay now go do this exercise with GF youth hockey rosters and come back. 

It’s unbelievably scary how loaded that towns pipeline is. GF will continue to dominate with a sprinkle of Fargo and Bismarck snagging champions every once in awhile. 

Judging by GF youth hockey strength, it’s unfortunately looking like they’re going to get even more dominant before they’re going to get caught up with or passed by anyone. 

Fargo has the numbers to put together some teams that’ll beat them every now and then, but through and through GF just breeds hockey players. It’s all that town has (tennis doesn’t count). 

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

So, did the best team win?

No. 

I’m still convinced Central and Davies were overall better teams but didn’t peak when it counted. It appears they were out coached and out “teamed” by RR who was solid and steady 3 lines through. Davies, Central and especially south relied heavily on 1 main line and it proved to be their weakness. 

31 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Okay now go do this exercise with GF youth hockey rosters and come back. 

It’s unbelievably scary how loaded that towns pipeline is. GF will continue to dominate with a sprinkle of Fargo and Bismarck snagging champions every once in awhile. 

Judging by GF youth hockey strength, it’s unfortunately looking like they’re going to get even more dominant before they’re going to get caught up with or passed by anyone. 

Fargo has the numbers to put together some teams that’ll beat them every now and then, but through and through GF just breeds hockey players. It’s all that town has (tennis doesn’t count). 

Not going to argue.  I will say this though.  What builds a winning squirt team is not what builds a winning Bantam or high school team.  You can coach players into a system at a young age which results in wins, but avoiding the systems and building individual player skills is what comes out on top as the kids age.  Tons of science behind this.  The windows of trainability say that 10U is a golden age of skills and that should be primary focus- puck and feet skills.  
Lots of programs playing 100 feet at 10U and doing position agnostic hockey.  Kids playing in this environment get shelled on 200 feet vs positionally sound teams that overload a dman or jump the wings on a breakout.  
Parents and coaches need to ask themselves what’s most important- winning now or helping your player reach their individual potential.  

I personally think a little mix is way to go.  During the long season play small area and build skill.  Spring- play the big ice team game.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 9:07 PM, UND1983 said:

Today is why all the top players are leaving the state.

With this logic then the same goes for MN state hockey too right? All blow outs today, so something must be wrong and it’s not competitive so that’s why kids leave. Right, right?!