SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 2019-20

11 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

If you can't recognize that the teams are worse this year than they have been overall in awhile that I don't know what to say.  Who is better this year?  South I suppose.  

The only top team that is worse this year is central. South is better, RR is better, WF is better, FN is better, and Davies is Flat. 

Out west I’d say 4 of the top 5 teams are down and Jamestown is up. 

Year over year MN teams vs ND teams record shows to be pretty similar. ND held the upper hand 4 seasons in a row until this year when MN won the series 23-22. 

3 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

As for kids leaving, MN has problems of their own. They run into a lot of issues of the high skilled kids transferring to other elite HS teams. It creates a tradition for 85% of the teams of being bottom dwellers. For instance, Crookston has NEVER in their history made it to the state tournament. 

Even in years when Crookston has been good section eight can be murderers row. The year we beat GFC GFRR & FN and took 2nd in the 8a section we lost to warroad. Plus never getting to have the tournament in Crookston means you have to beat warroad thief river or egf in their barn. 

7 hours ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

Even in years when Crookston has been good section eight can be murderers row. The year we beat GFC GFRR & FN and took 2nd in the 8a section we lost to warroad. Plus never getting to have the tournament in Crookston means you have to beat warroad thief river or egf in their barn. 

That's a tough task.  

6 minutes ago, petey23 said:

The average age for a college hockey senior who played 2-3 years of junior hockey is 24. 

I believe the 24 year old stat is correct.  The average age when a player COMMITS to a college team is 18.9.  The kids that accelerate or don't play juniors post-HS age are typically higher draft picks that aren't frequently playing as seniors in college.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Davies 6, Bismarck Century 0
Fargo South-Shanley 9, Minot 1
Grand Forks Red River 8, Jamestown 2
Grand Forks Central 7, Bismarck, 1

EAST - 30, West 4

The talent level gap between the East and West is pretty ridiculous right now!

And frankly, it probably could have been worse if some of the East teams wanted to pile on.

The margin for error is much smaller in the West.  You need 5-6 quality players in each class to have a solid team with some depth.  The top Eastern teams are able to absorb losing a few high end players.  Outside possibly Bismarck, and a lesser extend Minot, the loss of a couple players is too much to overcome for the other schools in the West to be at all competitive.  

3 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

I believe the 24 year old stat is correct.  The average age when a player COMMITS to a college team is 18.9.  The kids that accelerate or don't play juniors post-HS age are typically higher draft picks that aren't frequently playing as seniors in college.

My original post was simply pointing out that yes Spooner and Rauhauser had things work out for them by staying in High School....but they had to play a couple additional years against better competition to elevate their games to the college level. 170+ and 150+ games respectively. Which is the path many take to college hockey, just recognizing the other side of the argument for kids leaving early to play against better competition. 

Every kid and family has their own best interests to look out for but my personal opinion is, stay home, play other sports, play with your lifelong friends and graduate from high school and then go from there. No need to be in a hurry to get to college. You are more mature as a player at 20 but also as a human being which can help on the academic side as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

And frankly, it probably could have been worse if some of the East teams wanted to pile on.

The margin for error is much smaller in the West.  You need 5-6 quality players in each class to have a solid team with some depth.  The top Eastern teams are able to absorb losing a few high end players.  Outside possibly Bismarck, and a lesser extend Minot, the loss of a couple players is too much to overcome for the other schools in the West to be at all competitive.  

I think this year is an outlier with the west. Just last year century was right there with an elite central team, and I think they’ll be right back on track again next season. High and minot will certainly be better next year as well.

Don’t laugh at me, but as long as Bott doesn’t lose anyone, they should be a top 3 team in the west for once...they don’t lose an ounce from this year to next. 

1 minute ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I think this year is an outlier with the west. Just last year century was right there with an elite central team, and I think they’ll be right back on track again next season. High and minot will certainly be better next year as well.

Don’t laugh at me, but as long as Bott doesn’t lose anyone, they should be a top 3 team in the west for once...they don’t lose an ounce from this year to next. 

I'd be thrilled to see Bottineau back at the state tournament.  Another group to watch make a possible trip to the state tournament is Williston.  I think with Bismarck High being a bit down and Mandan losing a ton of seniors it's a possibility.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

In the West you can be very competitive with one good line, and Bott should have that next week.  Bott's been a top half team not long ago with basically just that Aide line.

17 minutes ago, petey23 said:

My original post was simply pointing out that yes Spooner and Rauhauser had things work out for them by staying in High School....but they had to play a couple additional years against better competition to elevate their games to the college level. 170+ and 150+ games respectively. Which is the path many take to college hockey, just recognizing the other side of the argument for kids leaving early to play against better competition. 

Every kid and family has their own best interests to look out for but my personal opinion is, stay home, play other sports, play with your lifelong friends and graduate from high school and then go from there. No need to be in a hurry to get to college. You are more mature as a player at 20 but also as a human being which can help on the academic side as well.

100% Agree with your last statement. And as we all know it’s unfortunately the parents pushing them out the door most of the time. And unfortunately the vast majority of those kids waste their best years of high school playing the bench for some no name JR team in the middle of no where living with strangers. There are obvious times when kids leave and it makes total sense because you know they’re truly gifted and are going places, but the majority of the time it just makes you shake your head. More often than not, they ride the pine, bounce around to other teams gaining no traction and/or end up back at home early having watching their HS buddies compete. 

My take on is that if you’re good enough, they’ll find you. And if you’re scoring 60+ points in HS and learning how to lead a team instead of playing the 3rd line averaging .25 points a game you’ll probably get more attention anyways. Why not stay home and enjoy it? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I'd be thrilled to see Bottineau back at the state tournament.  Another group to watch make a possible trip to the state tournament is Williston.  I think with Bismarck High being a bit down and Mandan losing a ton of seniors it's a possibility.

Minot, Williston, Bott and century at state. I’d enjoy seeing that. 

Early 2000s Williston used to pump out some damn good teams. They’re certainly capable 

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

MayPort went 3-0 against Bottineau and Williston this year. They would fit in very well in the west.

27 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

100% Agree with your last statement. And as we all know it’s unfortunately the parents pushing them out the door most of the time. And unfortunately the vast majority of those kids waste their best years of high school playing the bench for some no name JR team in the middle of no where living with strangers. There are obvious times when kids leave and it makes total sense because you know they’re truly gifted and are going places, but the majority of the time it just makes you shake your head. More often than not, they ride the pine, bounce around to other teams gaining no traction and/or end up back at home early having watching their HS buddies compete. 

My take on is that if you’re good enough, they’ll find you. And if you’re scoring 60+ points in HS and learning how to lead a team instead of playing the 3rd line averaging .25 points a game you’ll probably get more attention anyways. Why not stay home and enjoy it? 

I always applaud the kid and family that make a good informed decision and don't let ego get in the way. A friends nephew finished his high school career in Minnesota. went to NAHL and USHL tryout camps. Had choice to play in NAHL or USHL. If he went with USHL team he would have started season as their 6th or 7th D-man. He played NAHL instead, 1st pair, Played point on #1 Power Play, Killed Penalties. Played the next year in USHL as a top 4 Dman, had a few college offers and had decided to play 1 more season in USHL and then got a late offer over the Summer from a more "prestigious" hockey school and had a nice 4 year career, got his degree and is now playing in the ECHL with a little AHL time. He will probably head to Europe after this season to see different parts of the world and put some money away.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

And it's not just east dominance.  It's Grand Forks dominance.  With RR and GFC playing in the semifinals, that guarantees a Grand Forks school is playing in the Championship game.  That has happened 55 times in the past 60 years.  10 of those times they have played each other for the title.  Also, 45 of the past 60 State Champions have been either Red River or Central.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Nope, the overall average age of men’s hockey SRs is 24. That covers all players from all routes 

Call me skeptical on this? Just didn't add up in my head. Didn't have time to run every school and conference so I chose the NCHC and WCHA as I figured the WCHA was probably one of the "oldest" conferences age wise.

Average age of Seniors on roster.

NCHC-23.16(CC-23.4, DU-23, Miami-23.3, UMD-23.2, UNO-22.8, UND-23.4, SCSU-23, WMU-23)

WCHA-23.47(UAH-23.8, UAA-23.3, Alaska-23.7, Bemidji-23.7, BGU-23.2, Ferris-23.3, LSSU-23.8, Tech-23, Mankato-23.9, NMU-22.8)

17 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Congrats to the Devils Lake girls beating the GF co-op in 4 ot.  

Don't know how much they're going to have left for Davies today after going 4OT yesterday, especially since they only skate two lines.  They took Davies to a shootout a couple of weeks ago when they were playing fresh.