SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana St GDT

southpaw

22 hours ago, Feff said:

Kicker needs to hit the weight room, put some muscle on that toothpick frame so he can kick it to the endzone.

Not necessarily. He needs to improve his technique.  Lots of punters and kickers this size. He still needs to be in weight room.  

20 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

How about that no call on the obvious PI today? Not as bad as Rams Saints but still extremely obvious. I’m hoping the MVFC has better officials.

What made it worse was 2 refs within 10-15 yds watching defender run right into receiver waiting for ball. No excuse. As obvious as it gets. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

What made it worse was 2 refs within 10-15 yds watching defender run right into receiver waiting for ball. No excuse. As obvious as it gets. 

I thought the facemask call a couple plays later was a make up call.  PI call still should NOT have been missed though.

• Upvote 2

Last 2 games Ketteringham has played pretty well. Hasn’t turned the ball over and has completed over 70% of his passes for over 450yds and 2 TDs. We moved the ball ok yesterday.  The missed interference call  and Gee’s fumble cost us points and  I only remember one drop by receivers and 2 bad   misses to open receivers yesterday.   We need to improve our ability to consistently run the ball.  We also gave up 4 sacks yesterday.  Defense needs to build on a solid effort.  Can’t count on receivers dropping sure TD very often.  Eliminate turnovers, penalties and mental errors/missed assignments and this team can win remaining games. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Last 2 games Ketteringham has played pretty well. Hasn’t turned the ball over and has completed over 70% of his passes for over 450yds and 2 TDs. We moved the ball ok yesterday.  The missed interference call  and Gee’s fumble cost us points and  I only remember one drop by receivers and 2 bad   misses to open receivers yesterday.   We need to improve our ability to consistently run the ball.  We also gave up 4 sacks yesterday.  Defense needs to build on a solid effort.  Can’t count on receivers dropping sure TD very often.  Eliminate turnovers, penalties and mental errors/missed assignments and this team can win remaining games. 

And yet he drives me crazy with how horrible his feet are. 

7 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I don’t care about his feet as long as he can complete 70% of his passes and avoid turnovers.  

There comes a time where we actually have to present a threat downfield on something other than a trick/gimmick play. Haven't seen much of that from him and contributing to that is his footwork. 

• Upvote 1

I guess I’m ok moving the chains and marching down the field 8-20yds per throw.  We have the occasional pass >25yds.    For the most part he steps into his throws and the last 2 games he got rid of the ball quickly in face of oncoming pass rush.  He isn’t quick enough to beat the rush with his feet but when he has run, he seems to find a seam and get upfield for 5-7yds.  When he has time to throw he has been decent.  I’ll take 70% with no turnovers from a QB any day if we avoid penalties and mistakes. Let’s see if he can continue his play of last 2 weeks instead of EW or IS games. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I wouldn't play anyone else instead. 

Especially with two out of the three remaining games being cupcakes at home.

Your comment that any UND QB can complete 70% made me wonder. Schuster has completed 51% and Zimmerman 58% and prior to last 2 games Ketteringham 55%.  Maybe I’m wrong, but I still think if our defense can build on Saturday’s performance, and Ketteringham can play like he has the last two games we can win. If we are progressing as a program, we should expect no less. 

• Upvote 3

Interesting stat would be completion % inside the tackle box vs outside. WHEN Kett sets his feet he generally delivers a very good and accurate ball. If he has to move off his drop in any way it gets dicey.

I thought he had a very solid game yesterday. Hope he can build off that.

Also decided to look up some stats for this game.

UNDs #1 back, JJ, ran for 41 total yards on 11 carries. 

His longest run was 10 yards. So minus that play he was 31 yards on 10 carries. 

The longest pass play yesterday for Ketteringham gained 26 yards. 

I guess this reinforces the "no playmakers" on the team. But coaches have found ways to win with the players they have.

Biggest offensive issue is NOT the quarterback position with Nate Ketteringham. Could it be better, absolutely. But @iramurphy hit it right on the head; #8 is completing over 70% and with no turnovers. That is good QB play. 

The biggest offensive issue is the lack of a running game. If the running game could ever get on track, UND would have a complete offense and put up 30+ points routinely. Freund is having the offense do what it does without the threat of a running game, which is even more impressive for the first year coordinator. Just imagine ... hopefully next year with better o line and backs. Also could use more explosive receivers. Plenty of opportunities to further expand offensive talent for Freund.

• Upvote 1

Would have been interesting to see if Montana State coaches would have taken a safety had they not gone for two on their touchdown earlier rather than punt the ball with no room.  Maybe they still would have punted being that a field goal would beat them anyway, but to be able to kick off and defend would have been much more desirable.  Regardless, I think if Bubba would have made a decision to go for two in that circumstance, I don't think we would have been very happy.  Seemed like a very strange decision, especially in retrospect. 

33 minutes ago, tnt said:

Would have been interesting to see if Montana State coaches would have taken a safety had they not gone for two on their touchdown earlier rather than punt the ball with no room.  Maybe they still would have punted being that a field goal would beat them anyway, but to be able to kick off and defend would have been much more desirable.  Regardless, I think if Bubba would have made a decision to go for two in that circumstance, I don't think we would have been very happy.  Seemed like a very strange decision, especially in retrospect. 

And the play call.... just line up and go for it. 

1 hour ago, tnt said:

I was going to say the same thing, going for 2 points there made no sense, and yeah the play call was stupid.  If they were only down 3 instead of 4 that last time they got the ball, would have put more pressure on our defense to not let them in FG range.  With a 4 point lead, I felt pretty good about us not letting them get a TD since they aren't a high powered passing attack.

Then they got a delay of game on the last drive too.   MSU fans must have been going crazy with some of those decisions and the way the end of the game played out.