SiouxSports.com Forum

Cal Poly gdt

UNDBIZ

26 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

Congrats to the D2 football team that beat the D1 football team on the road!

More like a D2  team beating another D2 team on the road. If either of those teams are FCS playoff teams, the NCAA needs to rethink the number of teams in the FCS playoffs. I think 16 is plenty. 

• Downvote 7

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Defense was really bad today for the most part. Tough with injuries, but you can’t let your roster get to that point. Even with the starters, the DL was getting worked today. They need to figure something out on that side of the ball or Montana State will dominate  us.

CP killed themselves by getting behind the sticks with penalties. If they don't have several false starts to put them from 3rd and 2 to 3rd and 7, UND doesn't win this game. 

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Defense was really bad today for the most part. Tough with injuries, but you can’t let your roster get to that point. Even with the starters, the DL was getting worked today. They need to figure something out on that side of the ball or Montana State will dominate  us.

Who got hurt besides Bennett and have you heard how serious the injuries are?

12 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Today was our best offensive play calling in years. Danny is starting to really figure out what his guys are capable of and he’s putting them in positions to succeed. He’s still got work to do but there were some absolutely beautiful wrinkles today. Also, brass balls baby.

Maybe, just maybe, Bubba let him loose in the second half.  Some gimmick looks, constant motion, and using a TE......:0

I don't know enough about football, and UND had to be aggressive.....however, it seems to me that there are times when our playcalling is ultra conservative and then we go stretches where the defense doesn't have any answer, like the entire second half.  

I still think Freund is calling plays with handcuffs on. He's limited by the personnel that he has, with the most glaring deficiency being at QB. We also are lacking the quick slot and the legitimate deep threat. But this offense could work with a more mobile quarterback, one that is capable of reading more than a single read or only one side of the field, but who is also capable of getting out of the pocket and picking up yards on the ground. Our designed QB runs in today's game (non-wildcat) were just gods awful because Kett is so slow. 

I want to see what this offense can do with personnel to fit Freund's style and with an actual offensive line capable of generating somewhat of a running game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Feff said:

I still think Freund is calling plays with handcuffs on. He's limited by the personnel that he has, with the most glaring deficiency being at QB. We also are lacking the quick slot and the legitimate deep threat. But this offense could work with a more mobile quarterback, one that is capable of reading more than a single read or only one side of the field, but who is also capable of getting out of the pocket and picking up yards on the ground. Our designed QB runs in today's game (non-wildcat) were just gods awful because Kett is so slow. 

I want to see what this offense can do with personnel to fit Freund's style and with an actual offensive line capable of generating somewhat of a running game.

Would love to see Danny with quote on quote "his guy" at QB.  

I was completely wrong with wanting them to have Boltman play defense.  When he is getting the ball and an active part of the offense we actually look pretty good offensively.

56 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

once again...your telling me that bb can't make these throws?  this offense IS putting up good numbers but ketts just sucks.....bb at qb and skolka at rb.....why not?

Just not a kett fan at all. His QB mechanics are terrible. I.e, delivery, accuracy, timing, etc.  his running ability is atrocious (yes knee injury) but even before that. Nonetheless, the HC needs to go. Love Bubba, but, nice guys finish last. 

I am happy with the W but there are hills to climb. 

go Sioux Football!!!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

Add Poly to the long list of FCS teams that look empty on tv thanks to the camera pointing at the visiting sideline.

So we should all be very happy that UND is at the same level of Cal Poly in terms of attendance ......

Oh, Montana and Montana State are in the Big Sky Conference, right? 

Three positives to take away from tonight's win:

1.  We only had 3 penalties totaling 19 yards.

2.  We had no turnovers.

3.  We won despite playing without multiple starters/top subs who were injured:  Holm (hasn't played all season), Bennett (played part of the first quarter), Morrison (played part of the first two quarters), McKinney, Waletzko, Tobin (hasn't played all season), Adeoti (hasn't played all season), Zimm, and I am sure that there are some that I am missing.  Seems that we are finally starting to develop some depth.

12 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

2.  We had no turnovers.

3.  We won despite playing without multiple starters/top subs who were injured:  Holm (hasn't played all season), Bennett (played part of the first quarter), Morrison (played part of the first two quarters), McKinney, Waletzko, Tobin (hasn't played all season), Adeoti (hasn't played all season), Zimm, and I am sure that there are some that I am missing.  Seems that we are finally starting to develop some depth.

You mean Mortel for Tobin here I’m sure.

14 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

2.  We had no turnovers.

3.  We won without multiple starters/top subs who were injured:  Holm (hasn't played all season), Bennett (played part of the first quarter), Morrison (played part of the first two quarters), McKinney, Waletzko, Tobin (hasn't played all season), Adeoti (hasn't played all season), and I am sure that there are some that I am missing.  Seems that we are finally starting to develop some depth.

That’s how you win on the road. UND certainly did their job with turnovers and penalties vs Cal Poly; something UND wasn’t doing during previous road games. 

UND did what they needed to do to win the road game and they did. Good win. With that said, this isn’t a playoff team per the eye test. We’ll see if they can be consistent enough to win 4 in a row and steadily improve. I don’t like relying on consistency with a Bubba Schweigert football team, though.

Idaho State lost 45-21 today. 

37 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

So we should all be very happy that UND is at the same level of Cal Poly in terms of attendance ......

Oh, Montana and Montana State are in the Big Sky Conference, right? 

There's only 25 teams that average more people per game than UND.

Cal Poly isn't one of them.

And at full capacity UND can't catch Montana or Montana State.

8 hours ago, SiouxTupa said:

I actually really enjoyed that color guy. Yes, he was a homer, but they all are. This guy gave UND a lot of praise, and got down on CP when needed. He doesn't pull punches.

I liked him too. Reminds me of when Roddy Rowdy Piper or Jesse Ventura did color for the old WWF