SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Liabilities

bincitysioux

Folks, we are going nowhere with offensive line play like we saw tonight.  Hopefully tonight, was just a "bad night", and I know there are some young guys playing and some veterans hurt, but I'm not so sure it was wise to have all the hogs slim down.  I can't remember a game where we had so many negative rushing plays.

Special teams also continue to be a liability.  Short kickoffs, missed XP's, and that aweful non-fair catch in the 4th quarter, really put this team in tough spots against Sam Houston.

Get to work, get healthy, and get better!

Just now, bincitysioux said:

Folks, we are going nowhere with offensive line play like we saw tonight.  Hopefully tonight, was just a "bad night", and I know there are some young guys playing and some veterans hurt, but I'm not so sure it was wise to have all the hogs slim down.  I can't remember a game where we had so many negative rushing plays.

Special teams also continue to be a liability.  Short kickoffs, missed XP's, and that aweful non-fair catch in the 4th quarter, really put this team in tough spots against Sam Houston.

Not sure what greibel was thinking.  Horrible decision. 

2 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Not sure what greibel was thinking.  Horrible decision. 

I think he thought he was fooling them into focusing on him and that the ball would get into the end zone. What yard line he was on I don’t remember.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

Wow, if so, that was a poor decision.  Seems odd because it seems he fair catches almost every punt.

That is another problem.........

He fair caught at least two punts today that were returnable.  Not sure if he is being told to do that, but if Greibel is supposedly one of the few speedsters on this team, he needs to run with a few of them from time to time........

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

It was a bit of a line drive that he may have misjudged as well, in which case it's good he didn't boot it for a turnover. 

He was really nowhere near it though.  I felt like he forgot where he was on the field. He maybe thought he was on the 10, but was actually at about the 20 it see,med like from my vantage point.

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Wow, if so, that was a poor decision.  Seems odd because it seems he fair catches almost every punt.

Guy sitting behind me thought he was simply following instructions from the sideline. That he was NOT to touch that ball for fear of a fumble.

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

He fair caught at least two punts today that were returnable.  Not sure if he is being told to do that, but if Greibel is supposedly one of the few speedsters on this team, he needs to run with a few of them from time to time........

agreed...seems like a few were returnable.

48 minutes ago, Hambone said:

I also think that punting is becoming a huge liability.  If you are punting from the 25 there is no reason they should be fair catching at other 40.  You should be going at least 45 yards in the air.  That actually flipped the field in Sam's favor a couple times today, whereas their punter was booming it.  I remember when our special teams were about as good as it could get.  Awesome kicker, strong punter etc.  Can't believe we don't recruit these better.  Need to spend some scholarship money and not hope that the walkon will be good enough.

pretty simple fix...fire kostitch. problem solved.

8 minutes ago, shep said:

Guy sitting behind me thought he was simply following instructions from the sideline. That he was NOT to touch that ball for fear of a fumble.

If so that’s the most sheepish most unconfident piece of garbage coaching advice I’ve ever heard. Coach with confidence, play with confidence and you’ll execute like so. I’m so sick of this conservative and nice guy safe style shown by this team...so I very much hope that wasn’t truly what happened there. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

If so that’s the most sheepish most unconfident piece of garbage coaching advice I’ve ever heard. Coach with confidence, play with confidence and you’ll execute like you act. I’m sick of the conservative and nice guy safe plays by this team, so I very much hope that wasn’t truly what happened there. 

This gets back to the O-Line issue, but I was actually surprised when we went for it on 4th and 1 (4th qtr I think).  JJ got stuffed for a loss.  That was ballsy call at the time IMO, given that we hadn't done anything on the ground all day.  Didn't work out of course........

• Upvote 1

Just to  illustrate how bad the run blocking was against Sam Houston...........

UND's running backs gained 32 yards against the Bearkats.

32 YARDS!

Other than that, Boltman had his 56 yard designed run for a TD, and Schuster had his 21 yard scramble.

I like the idea of a more diverse offense, but at some point we need to be able to hand it off to a RB in the second half and expect to get 4 yards..........

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

That's what's so frustrating... you have the entire OL lose weight but then you have your starting RB (Johannesson) get too heavy to effectively play the position.  At this point, it's nearly impossible not to question what's going on with this program and what type of messaging the players are hearing from this coaching staff.   

3 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Greibel is not a speedster. Not even close.

2 hours ago, dlsiouxfan said:

That's what's so frustrating... you have the entire OL lose weight but then you have your starting RB (Johannesson) get too heavy to effectively play the position.  At this point, it's nearly impossible not to question what's going on with this program and what type of messaging the players are hearing from this coaching staff.   

JJ lost weight. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

If so that’s the most sheepish most unconfident piece of garbage coaching advice I’ve ever heard. Coach with confidence, play with confidence and you’ll execute like so. I’m so sick of this conservative and nice guy safe style shown by this team...so I very much hope that wasn’t truly what happened there. 

Even with my limited football knowledge, I wondered what the heck... 10 open yards in front of him. If that was directed by the coach ( unbelievable), then someone needs to tell that coach to have some gonadal fortitude.... maybe they all need to go for the gusto.... that #6 has it and a couple of the LBs....maybe the team lacks confidence... new players and a coach.

Hopefully the bye will produce some time to gain confidence.

Here's my hope with the O-line. They seem to protect ok, but currently can't run block. It's still early with a new offensive philosophy and the Center, RG and RT are either new starters or playing a new position for the first time (Center). I'll have to rewatch the game as I don't notice the ins and outs like a lot of you do when in the moment, but was Sam Houston loading the box yesterday? I recall one of the announcers talking about how Sam Houston leaves their CB's kind of on an Island betting on their guy vs their opponents. With a True Freshman playing, even more incentive to key on the run and make him beat you in the air (which is a solid strategy). Likewise with NDSU, going against a guy starting his first game of his career. Having three different QBs play in three different games has to be difficult when installing a new offense.

One of the bye weeks is coming at a perfect time, rest up, work on the little things and get guys (QBs, Gordon) healthy.  

• Upvote 3

On 9/14/2019 at 8:46 PM, bincitysioux said:

UND did just beat the No.24 team in the country with said offensive line, so let’s step back from the ledge and the “going nowhere” talk. There is still much hope for a winning season if UND takes care of business at home in the Alerus Center and wins a couple road games. 

After that, though, I agree with you. UND needs to improve its offensive line. Running game has to be capable if UND wants to be a championship team and they certainly are not there yet. 

Emphasis needs to be on continuing to recruit and develop the offensive line.