SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Liabilities

bincitysioux

18 hours ago, AJS said:

Here's my hope with the O-line. They seem to protect ok, but currently can't run block. It's still early with a new offensive philosophy and the Center, RG and RT are either new starters or playing a new position for the first time (Center). I'll have to rewatch the game as I don't notice the ins and outs like a lot of you do when in the moment, but was Sam Houston loading the box yesterday? I recall one of the announcers talking about how Sam Houston leaves their CB's kind of on an Island betting on their guy vs their opponents. With a True Freshman playing, even more incentive to key on the run and make him beat you in the air (which is a solid strategy). Likewise with NDSU, going against a guy starting his first game of his career. Having three different QBs play in three different games has to be difficult when installing a new offense.

One of the bye weeks is coming at a perfect time, rest up, work on the little things and get guys (QBs, Gordon) healthy.  

I posted in the SH feed.  Yes they loaded the box to stop the run.  As you said, strategy was to make the freshman beat them.   SH had at least one more player in the box for a good part of the game.  Hard to run when out numbered.

• 3 weeks later...

The offensive line continues to be so disappointing to me.  As far as run blocking goes, they have been outmatched in every game including against Drake.

Our defense on 3rd and long situations has been so frustrating all year.  They allowed several conversions again today on 3rd and 8+, and  a 4th and 10 as well.  Multiple conversions per game in those situations are demoralizing.

Special teams.......woof.  Kudos to Leach for hitting the game winner in a pressure situation.  But he missed a shorter one prior to that.  Stevens' kickoffs are bad.  The punts aren't good.  Allowing the successful fake punt on 4th and LONG was a real pisser.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

The offensive line continues to be so disappointing to me.  As far as run blocking goes, they have been outmatched in every game including against Drake.

Our defense on 3rd and long situations has been so frustrating all year.  They allowed several conversions again today on 3rd and 8+, and  a 4th and 10 as well.  Multiple conversions per game in those situations are demoralizing.

Special teams.......woof.  Kudos to Leach for hitting the game winner in a pressure situation.  But he missed a shorter one prior to that.  Stevens' kickoffs are bad.  The punts aren't good.  Allowing the successful fake punt on 4th and LONG was a real pisser.  

Agreed, agreed, agreed. These are definitely the top concerns coming out of the victory vs UC Davis. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Can BB punt the ball? 

Joking at first, but you have a serious fake threat if he can. Can't kick worse than a few of those punts last game. woof.

On at least one occasion we could have absolutely gashed Davis with a fake punt. We were relatively close to mid field with a 4th and 8 or so and their whole coverage team turned their backs and ran at the snap with the exception of a few guys at the line. We would’ve gained at least 30 yards.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

On at least one occasion we could have absolutely gashed Davis with a fake punt. We were relatively close to mid field with a 4th and 8 or so and their whole coverage team turned their backs and ran at the snap with the exception of a few guys at the line. We would’ve gained at least 30 yards.

Which was one of the big pros for Cade Peterson, right? Isn't he supposed to be really fast? Would be nice to see the fake mixed in from time to time.

On 10/6/2019 at 9:14 AM, forksandspoons said:

Wasn’t Wanzek like a national champ in the punt pass and kick? He’s gotta be able to punt the ball more than 30 yards

When Noah Wanzek was a 15-year-old, he placed second in the nation in the NFL’s punt pass and kick. He also was an all conference/ all state punter In high school.  He averaged in the 40s. In one game against Minot High, he hit a 72 yard booming punt.  Just saying.

4 minutes ago, The Fan said:

When Noah Wanzek was a 15-year-old, he placed second in the nation in the NFL’s punt pass and kick. He also was an all conference/ all state punter In high school.  He averaged in the 40s. In one game against Minot High, he hit a 72 yard booming punt.  Just saying.

I’d imagine his leg is mich stronger now with the weight he’s put on

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Pretty sure he runs track as well.

Holy cow.  He's on both the indoor and outdoor track rosters, and he's a sprinter!  Placed third in the SDSU dual last winter...

I searched google to find a formula that converts the 60M dash time to the 40 yard dash, and this 6.88 time translates roughly to a 4.2 40.  Not sure how accurate that is, but either way, he has speed.  He can catch long snaps - I wonder if he could run a deep route... throw him out there on the wildcat once, and have boltman bomb it to him haha 

image.png.459e4cb416f3f27dfd1171246e00d0b4.png

So I have been railing on the defense all season for how it has performed in 3rd down situations.  Perusing through the season stats, we are allowing conversions on 3rd down about 36% of the time.  That would place us 6th in the Big Sky in that department if we were still officially members of the league.  Not great, not horrible, but middle of the pack (which it is looking like we would be in a lot of categories in the Big Sky this year).

But out of boredom, I dove a bit deeper into the stat sheets today, game by game.  If you define "3rd and Long" situations as 3rd and 7 or more yards, well then it is pretty ugly if you ask me.

We are now over halfway through the season, and so far North Dakota is allowing a whopping 54% conversion rate in 3rd and Long situations.  To me, that is so demoralizing to the team (and fans!) when the opponent converts in those instances.  At home games especially, the crowd gets pretty amped up and the Alerus gets loud when we stuff the RB on 1st down and then sack the QB on 2nd down.  But then the when they complete a 10 yard pass on 3rd down to reset the sticks, the whole environment just deflates.

To put that number of 54% into perspective, the UND defense is allowing a 50% conversion rate on 3rd and 2 or less!  So really opposing teams are finding themselves in a better situation against North Dakota if it is "3rd and Long" vs. "3rd and Short".  

I believe there have been at least two conversions by the opposition on 3rd and 20 or more.  That is just as bad as a turnover in my book.

The other thing that struck me while pouring over the stats and drive charts was the seemingly high number of possessions that opponents have had against us where UND didn't even force a 3rd down.  

Our defense can be fun to watch at times.  It is high risk, high reward.  Everybody loves interceptions, sacks, and TFL.  But in the end, it isn't getting the job done.  Honestly, it's been a liability since the 2016 season, and has cost North Dakota just as many games as the much maligned "Rudy-Offense".  

Schmidt's defense has given up 28 or more points in the first half of each of the last 3 games.  

Woof.........

4 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

So I have been railing on the defense all season for how it has performed in 3rd down situations.  Perusing through the season stats, we are allowing conversions on 3rd down about 36% of the time.  That would place us 6th in the Big Sky in that department if we were still officially members of the league.  Not great, not horrible, but middle of the pack (which it is looking like we would be in a lot of categories in the Big Sky this year).

But out of boredom, I dove a bit deeper into the stat sheets today, game by game.  If you define "3rd and Long" situations as 3rd and 7 or more yards, well then it is pretty ugly if you ask me.

We are now over halfway through the season, and so far North Dakota is allowing a whopping 54% conversion rate in 3rd and Long situations.  To me, that is so demoralizing to the team (and fans!) when the opponent converts in those instances.  At home games especially, the crowd gets pretty amped up and the Alerus gets loud when we stuff the RB on 1st down and then sack the QB on 2nd down.  But then the when they complete a 10 yard pass on 3rd down to reset the sticks, the whole environment just deflates.

To put that number of 54% into perspective, the UND defense is allowing a 50% conversion rate on 3rd and 2 or less!  So really opposing teams are finding themselves in a better situation against North Dakota if it is "3rd and Long" vs. "3rd and Short".  

I believe there have been at least two conversions by the opposition on 3rd and 20 or more.  That is just as bad as a turnover in my book.

The other thing that struck me while pouring over the stats and drive charts was the seemingly high number of possessions that opponents have had against us where UND didn't even force a 3rd down.  

Our defense can be fun to watch at times.  It is high risk, high reward.  Everybody loves interceptions, sacks, and TFL.  But in the end, it isn't getting the job done.  Honestly, it's been a liability since the 2016 season, and has cost North Dakota just as many games as the much maligned "Rudy-Offense".  

Schmidt's defense has given up 28 or more points in the first half of each of the last 3 games.  

Woof.........

Great, but terrible, info. 

UND "only" gave up 14 in the first half against Davis though. 

7 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Great, but terrible, info. 

UND "only" gave up 14 in the first half against Davis though. 

Thanks for catching that.  Looked at a lot of box scores today, so transposed the lines.............:(

Having said that, they gave up 22 in the second half to Davis.

20+ in any half is a bit much for my liking..........

5 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Thanks for catching that.  Looked at a lot of box scores today, so transposed the lines.............:(

Having said that, they gave up 22 in the second half to Davis.

20+ in any half is a bit much for my liking..........

Definitely wasn't trying to take anything away from your post. They've been a liability. Those 3rd and long numbers are insane. I think the lack of ability of the DL to generate any pressure without significant blitz packages is causing a lot of issues. 

22 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Definitely wasn't trying to take anything away from your post. They've been a liability. Those 3rd and long numbers are insane. I think the lack of ability of the DL to generate any pressure without significant blitz packages is causing a lot of issues. 

Agree DL is not getting it done.  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Woof.........

That's depressing. 

17 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Woof.........

Yeah, Schmidt was pretty highly though of for a while. One of those guys you hoped to keep even if Bubba left. Now, I'm ok with everyone going. Blow it up and start over. Freund could maybe stay because we really haven't had a large enough sample size to judge what he is capable of, especially when he gets some of his own guys into the offense.

Is it too early to critique the new OL coach?  He had rave reviews from this board, initially.  Since the hire, they purposely had the OL drop weight, and now we can't run the ball.  How many times have we been stuffed up the middle on 3rd/4th and 1?  Is zone blocking working?  Pass protection has been decent at least, right?  It doesn't help though that every time there is pressure, Ket turns around and runs directly backwards, instead of rolling out and keeping his eyes down field.

IDAHO STATE GAME IN REVIEW (only some first half moments, game was over at halftime) to look at some liabilities. 

image.thumb.png.76be18b4efc183b804f5950c95dace47.png

FIrst off, UND kickoff team misses multiple tackles (Ty Shannon and Jordan Canady both, two starting defensive backs) and allows Idaho State to gain momentum early. 

image.png

Then the UND offense commits consecutive procedural penalties culminating in a botched snap and a frustrated offense. Here you see Nate Ketteringham and Auston Gordon discussing the confusion after the play which killed the drive. UND losing 10-7. 

image.thumb.png.0f8d2b73f6ff8fe7083ad8e543807d2a.png

Here, the UND safety bites on the play fake and comes into the box, while Hayden Blubaugh gets beat inside on the slant and allows the Idaho State receiver to catch the ball and go untouched for a touchdown. Idaho State goes up 17-7. Poor technique by Blubaugh giving up inside leverage and too hard of bite by safety (Hayden Galvin I believe). Need tighter coverage and help over the top. 

image.png

Down 17-7, with momentum gone, UND goes to the inside zone out of the pistol on 3rd and 1. James Johannesson is stuffed on the play. Idaho State NG penetration given up by LG Sean Russo and C Patrick Rooney. Poor inside offensive line play. 

image.thumb.png.a987f6dc87d80a6cd82d7882d6b865a9.png

Here, on 3rd and 4, UND defense loses contain on the Idaho State quarterback. He extends the play and eventually hits receiver along the right sideline for big gain. 

image.thumb.png.4f1eb261d53f5af5fa641e12ea5543d7.png

image.thumb.png.2d22e00129afb9cd8bc222ddd1540dc1.png

Idaho State caps off the drive by throwing a deep pass for a TD, going up 24-7. Receiver on the upper left of the screen runs straight down the field, past both Caleb Nelson and Ty Shannon. Inexcusable for two players responsible for the deep half of the field to get beat like that. Awful technique and execution in the defensive secondary for UND. 

image.thumb.png.f8209bc395ff21acf027fe8c1d4832ae.png

Lastly, in the red zone, Idaho State goes play action and sneaks the TE up the seam into the end zone. UND is in zero coverage man across the board, Hayden Galvin #16 lets the TE slip open in the middle of the field for an easy TD catch. Idaho State goes up 31-7 at halftime. Game over. 

In summary, the UND defensive secondary played awful. Poor technique and communication back there. Receivers were running free; corners not covering and safeties out of position. Defensive front not getting pressure and allowing the QB to roll out.  

The UND offense started out great, but collapsed. They could not run the ball against Idaho State and made too many mistakes, including penalties and not getting set up right. Inexcusable and sloppy. 

Disappointing to see the kick off coverage start out the day poorly too. 

Now, admittedly I do not know what UND's defensive and offensive calls exactly were or what the specific assignments were for each player on each play, but, as you can see, multiple mistakes were made and it caused UND to be absolutely embarrassed.

If you don't like my interpretation/narrative, that is fine. Just thought I would post shots of the game; a picture is worth a thousand words.  Rather than typing too much, figured some photos would suffice. 

• Upvote 2