SiouxSports.com Forum

UND-NDSU, a new trophy

MDtoGF

1 minute ago, dmksioux said:

Agreed, no need to make this harder than it is.  We retired the old nickel, create a new one with the the hawk in place of the Sioux head.  Easy peasy...

....or bring back the original until someone explicitly forbids it.

I think we need to set up committees at both schools and make sure everyone from all different interest groups is represented, they both receive a clear set of guidelines on what the trophy should and should not represent. Then we hire an expensive consulting  firm from the east coast to moderate both groups and bring back a recommendation. Then we slap a hawk and bison on a giant nickle and pay the man.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Johnny,. If you haven't figured out the nickel is dead to the NCAA, how did you get into law school.

NCAA said we could keep items of historical significance, no? When did they comment on the nickel?

I really don't think the ncaa gives 2 $#!%$ about UND anymore. We changed the name. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I think we need to set up committees at both schools and make sure everyone from all different interest groups is represented, they both receive a clear set of guidelines on what the trophy should and should not represent. Then we hire an expensive consulting  firm from the east coast to moderate both groups and bring back a recommendation. Then we slap a hawk and bison on a giant nickle and pay the man.

Well done.  Add consult Urban Dictionary and we’ve got a bingo 

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

NCAA said we could keep items of historical significance, no? When did they comment on the nickel?

I really don't think the ncaa gives 2 $#!%$ about UND anymore. We changed the name. 

Maybe.  I'm not so sure.  Remember UND is a pawn in the scheme of things.

The NCAA has no say over the Nickel trophy. It's a regular season game trophy that was agreed to between both schools key clubs. The NCAA only controls playoff stuff. Besides the Nickel is an exact replica of American currency so I don't see how anyone could ban it. UND should have never said it was off the table and not to be played for again. That said it's been retired so I think that ship has sailed.

I agree that the Nickel should be the trophy that is played for.  Even with the indian head on one side.  It has tradition dating back decades.  Just because it is in retirement in Bismarck, doesn't mean they can't just un retire it and use it again.  If both schools agreed to it, it could happen.  that being said, I don't think both schools will agree to that.  Especially UND.  However, I dothink representatives from both schools need to get together and decide on somethign together.  Whether that is the student senate, Student Body Presidents, or even Presidents of both schools.  Both sides should be involved in coming up with a trophy that both fanbases will approve of.

2 hours ago, North Dakota said:

The NCAA has no say over the Nickel trophy. It's a regular season game trophy that was agreed to between both schools key clubs. The NCAA only controls playoff stuff. Besides the Nickel is an exact replica of American currency so I don't see how anyone could ban it. UND should have never said it was off the table and not to be played for again. That said it's been retired so I think that ship has sailed.

Case in point is the gas station tobacco Indian statue that Northwestern State plays for each year. Our nickel would be just fine.

43346088-7F39-4E73-BA23-E8736DF1F86A.jpeg

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Just play for the nickel.

^This

Just because we aren't the Sioux anymore doesn't mean we should have to rewrite the entire history of the school or the rivalry. Its a historic trophy, who cares if there isn't a hawk on hit. The fact that it is old and doesn't tie to our current nickname just adds to the story of the rivalry and the history of the schools. Play for it!

That being said, since it probably will not happen; the barn isn't a horrible idea, though I don't remember that exactly being a historical type of land mark, just seems a little forced. I had also previously heard Teddy Roosevelt's cane, not sure how relevant that is either.

The Nickel was just too perfect.

On 9/11/2019 at 3:50 PM, JohnboyND7 said:

This. No point in creating a new trophy. 

22 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

No, they wouldnt.

I've used 3 browsers, 2 search engines, on a desk top & laptop; energized the rapid search and turbo chargers on my wifi router & here's the results for a xBizon guy that turned a new leaf going Fhawking Irish and that left Fargo, moved to GF, then Flauwda, and now in a place the artist claims no one will find out.

Many years ago the Lepricon married a widow who had an 18-year-old daughter.

After the wedding, the father, a widower, came to visit and fell in love with the step-daughter, marrying her without any authorization.

As a result the step-daughter became a step-mother and the father became a son-in-law.

The father's wife (also a step-daughter) and step-mother, gave birth to a son who is a grandchild because as the husband of step-daughter's mother.

This boy is also a brother, as the son of father.

So the wife became a grandmother, because she is the mother of father's wife.

A short time after, the wife gave birth to a son, who became father's brother-in-law, the step-son of father's wife, and a uncle.

Son is also step-mother's brother, and through the step-mother, wife has become a grandmother/ and Lepricon become his own grandfather.

Does son, who is also a uncle, father's son-in-law and step mother's brother have any trolling potential?

3 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I've used 3 browsers, 2 search engines, on a desk top & laptop; energized the rapid search and turbo chargers on my wifi router & here's the results for a xBizon guy that turned a new leaf going Fhawking Irish and that left Fargo, moved to GF, then Flauwda, and now in a place the artist claims no one will find out.

Many years ago the Lepricon married a widow who had an 18-year-old daughter.

After the wedding, the father, a widower, came to visit and fell in love with the step-daughter, marrying her without any authorization.

As a result the step-daughter became a step-mother and the father became a son-in-law.

The father's wife (also a step-daughter) and step-mother, gave birth to a son who is a grandchild because as the husband of step-daughter's mother.

This boy is also a brother, as the son of father.

So the wife became a grandmother, because she is the mother of father's wife.

A short time after, the wife gave birth to a son, who became father's brother-in-law, the step-son of father's wife, and a uncle.

Son is also step-mother's brother, and through the step-mother, wife has become a grandmother/ and Lepricon become his own grandfather.

Does son, who is also a uncle, father's son-in-law and step mother's brother have any trolling potential?

You arent very good at this. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, North Dakota said:

The nickel would be the correct item to play for annually, the ncaa certainly does not care.   But someone at Und thought it would a nice way to one up Ndsu by “retiring” it in their possession.   If Ndsu had won it last, I have no doubt they’d be playing for it again.  Let’s be honest folks.

• Upvote 1