SiouxSports.com Forum

UND-NDSU, a new trophy

MDtoGF

1 hour ago, Herd said:

The nickel would be the correct item to play for annually, the ncaa certainly does not care.   But someone at Und thought it would a nice way to one up Ndsu by “retiring” it in their possession.   If Ndsu had won it last, I have no doubt they’d be playing for it again.  Let’s be honest folks.

Talk about clueless.   For one thing, apparently  you are unaware of any of the turmoil caused by the NCAA regarding the nickname.  I don’t blame anyone for deciding to retire the nickel after all the ridiculousness from the NCAA about Native American imagery. 

But perhaps the more obvious point to bison fans should be the fact that through negotiations at the time you made it clear you refused to set foot in the Alerus Center to play a game, ever.    Yet you wanted to keep playing for a trophy?  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

You really have to be living under a barn to think that UND would be in favor of bringing back the Nickle Trophy the way it is - and the only reason Moo U would want to do it is because they believe it would cause UND public relations issues. I don't believe revising the nickle with a new UND icon on its side is valid because the coin was a reflection of an actual nickle that was minted by the US and it loses its uniqueness if it's just a fabricated coin. One thing we have learned is that if/when something is created there will be vocal outrage from someone about it. 

30 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

You really have to be living under a barn to think that UND would be in favor of bringing back the Nickle Trophy the way it is - and the only reason Moo U would want to do it is because they believe it would cause UND public relations issues. I don't believe revising the nickle with a new UND icon on its side is valid because the coin was a reflection of an actual nickle that was minted by the US and it loses its uniqueness if it's just a fabricated coin. One thing we have learned is that if/when something is created there will be vocal outrage from someone about it. 

It would be a public relations issue for about 5 minutes.

54 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Wouldn’t that technically increase the uniqueness if it’s a custom coin that was never in circulation?

• Upvote 1