SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Moose

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

15 hours ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

It would just be nice to have some sort of "organic" name as opposed to a committee name, if that makes sense...

Not saying, but just saying. I was on team "Let's stick with just North Dakota for now and at some point something organic will come along"....not that this is necessarily that.

22 hours ago, southpaw said:

There's a professional team a couple hours away that already has the name. You forget how many people were concerned about a high school having the same name...

I remember that.

i also remember those arguments where I told people that no one nationally would care or bother to do the research.

If you asked 100 people about the nickname of Ames High School, how many would come up with Cyclones?

Of course back then, Moose might had a problem if some 13 year old wrote an inappropriate definition about in on Urban Dictionary and some 6 figure consultant saw it................. 

9 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Nothing more organic and fitting for UND than the moose.

Fierce, strong, majestic, to represent the athletics,

A bit lost and bewildered to represent the administration,

An intelligent creature and high nosed attitude yet cluless to the surroundings and incapable of solving real problems... the faculty.

Awkward and drugged up to represent ...well yeah, students. (we've all got a bit blasted at a football game and ended up in some strange woods, right, right?!)

Fighting MOOOOOOOOOOSE!

#Mooseforever

Also moose are clever, aggressive and ornery as hell, were as bison are big, dumb and panic easily!

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_team_nicknames_in_the_United_States

Do a search for "Moose" and there NO results!  Talk about unique.  As for the Manitoba Moose, few college sports fans are going to say "Hey, there's already a moose nickname used in that area!"

Wait... so your telling me this idea hadn't been done, would have ballanced well vs NDSU, and was politically neutral, and on top of all that would have been a subtle teddy Roosevelt reference? WHAT F**K WAS THE COMMITTEE DOING???

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Wait... so your telling me this idea hadn't been done, would have ballanced well vs NDSU, and was politically neutral, and on top of all that would have been a subtle teddy Roosevelt reference? WHAT F**K WAS THE COMMITTEE DOING???

I like the comment: "If by Bull Moose you mean Teddy Roosevelt, the whole population of Bison would lose."

I can only imagine if this was 2015.  I don't think there would be any doubt that Moose would have been the nickname.  Probably wouldn't have even needed a vote!!  The moose running on the field would have been an omen!!  :D Plus, the story of how we got the name would have been great.  Oh what could have been.

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Doesn’t mean we can’t switch. The Sioux nickname change in 1930 was when we already had a nickname. I personally love the idea because it would be a big slap in the face to the powers that be who got us to end up with Fighting Hawks in the first place. 

Umm, yeah it does.  UND isn't going to waste the time and money rebranding their entire athletic department AGAIN unless they are forced to do so.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Doesn’t mean we can’t switch. The Sioux nickname change in 1930 was when we already had a nickname. I personally love the idea because it would be a big slap in the face to the powers that be who got us to end up with Fighting Hawks in the first place. 

I agree, get the grass roots from the students and the alumni now, and in a few years you could see them move toward changing, people forget that all of the branded stuff has to be replaced anyways ,either due to wear and tear or just updating the existing branding (Logo and typeface redisign), so its not as big a deal as you might think. Plus you have one solid choice presenting itself with popular support rather than a mandate from on high to change an existing nickname by force. But hopefully this time they would A. Let the Graphic Design Department handle the new logo and text rather than some A-Holes in NY, and if we have to create a new furry suit, let the art department handle that as well.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

But hopefully this time they would A. Let the Graphic Design Department handle the new logo and text rather than some A-Holes in NY, and if we have to create a new furry suit, let the art department handle that as well.

Funny thing is, the way it turned out is a win-win because you (and so many others) get to vilify the "A-Holes in NY" (as if that's hard to do) AND you were spared from having to do the same to your friends and neighbors here in town.  Which you would have done, because what assurances does anyone have that the output on campus would have been any better?  Selecting the sacrificial lamb from the big, bad East Coast was an expedience that saves a ton of face and hard feelings in UND's backyard.

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Funny thing is, the way it turned out is a win-win because you (and so many others) get to vilify the "A-Holes in NY" (as if that's hard to do) AND you were spared from having to do the same to your friends and neighbors here in town.  Which you would have done, because what assurances does anyone have that the output on campus would have been any better?  Selecting the sacrificial lamb from the big, bad East Coast was an expedience that saves a ton of face and hard feelings in UND's backyard.

It’s not a win-win as long as UND is stuck with the current logo.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Umm, yeah it does.  UND isn't going to waste the time and money rebranding their entire athletic department AGAIN unless they are forced to do so.  

It’s not just the cost of rebranding that they should be looking at.   They need to consider the potential increase in visibility and merchandise sales over several years that a better, more unique logo could provide.  

• Upvote 2