SiouxSports.com Forum

Enrollment

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

19 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

I'd have to guess that Kennedy's push to improve UND's positioning in online learning is a big factor.  https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4465475-online-education-important-und-state-mark-kennedy-says

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I'd have to guess that Kennedy's push to improve UND's positioning in online learning is a big factor.  https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4465475-online-education-important-und-state-mark-kennedy-says

In the world of Covid, absolutely.  Hopefully the on-campus enrollment can see some prioritization and gains going forward so Grand Forks doesn't crumble and blow away.

26 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

In the world of Covid, absolutely.  Hopefully the on-campus enrollment can see some prioritization and gains going forward so Grand Forks doesn't crumble and blow away.

The new student union and business school should help greatly when prospective students are comparing schools.  I believe every prospective student walks through gamble on their official tour, and that place isn't exactly jaw dropping.  Its like football recruits - athletes want to have nice digs... as does the average student.  Gamble is almost equivalent to Memorial in this regard.

48 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I'll be very interested to see the breakdown of those that are strictly Online vs those that are actually in person. As long as both of those are following the same trajectory, then it's all good.  

22 hours ago, nodak651 said:

The new student union and business school should help greatly when prospective students are comparing schools.  I believe every prospective student walks through gamble on their official tour, and that place isn't exactly jaw dropping.  Its like football recruits - athletes want to have nice digs... as does the average student.  Gamble is almost equivalent to Memorial in this regard.

I got roped into going to Gamble one time to help a girl on an assignment and was appalled at how dumpy it was compared to what I had during undergrad.

Good for UND to get that fixed lol

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/6912143-UND-spring-enrollment-numbers-stay-similar-to-last-year

Some of the key takeaways.

• Down 17 Students from Spring 2020 and 101 from Spring 2019
  • Total Count 13,011
    • Undergraduate - 9,093
    • Graduate - 3,423
    • Law School - 206
    • Medical School - 289

I do want to focus on this note.

Armacost did note that there has been a reduction in on-campus enrollment, and an increase in both online and graduate students at the university.

I know this has been asked before. What % of UND's students are online? I hope it's not disproportionate to other peer institutions. 

51 minutes ago, AJS said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/6912143-UND-spring-enrollment-numbers-stay-similar-to-last-year

• Total Count 13,011
    • Undergraduate - 9,093
    • Graduate - 3,423
    • Law School - 206
    • Medical School - 289

Armacost did note that there has been a reduction in on-campus enrollment, and an increase in both online and graduate students at the university.

I know this has been asked before. What % of UND's students are online? I hope it's not disproportionate to other peer institutions. 

The bigger question is how many students are online only that don't want to be because their professors/instructors won't teach face to face. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AJS said:

• Total Count 13,011
    • Undergraduate - 9,093
    • Graduate - 3,423
    • Law School - 206
    • Medical School - 289

I wouldn't be surprised if UND had more online students than our peers, which I believe they do, because remote learning was a priority for Kennedy if I remember correctly.  

With the new student union and business building, ya gotta think that will help to attract students to campus moving forward.  

2 hours ago, AJS said:

• Total Count 13,011
    • Undergraduate - 9,093
    • Graduate - 3,423
    • Law School - 206
    • Medical School - 289

Even if it is disproportionate that's not inherently bad. Trailblazing works sometimes. Would be bad I suppose if the online learning is growing at on-campus learning's detriment though.

23 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Even if it is disproportionate that's not inherently bad. Trailblazing works sometimes. Would be bad I suppose if the online learning is growing at on-campus learning's detriment though.

Agreed.  I think this was Kennedy's worry - didn't want to get left behind and wanted to be ahead of the curve.  UND needs on campus enrollment to grow though... the numbers there are not good.

18 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Agreed.  I think this was Kennedy's worry - didn't want to get left behind and wanted to be ahead of the curve.  UND needs on campus enrollment to grow though... the numbers there are not good.

The rack rate for a years tuition at UND is $10K.  Ask any kid at UND right now who is strictly online, most not by choice, if they think they are getting a decent ROI on their tuition dollars and the answer is a resounding "no".

The pandemic has folks rethink education.
On-campus isn't really needed other than for labs and other specialty classes.

And how did we learn this?
The faculty demanded to be safe and isolated. ... Be careful what you wish for. ;) 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

The pandemic has folks rethink education.
On-campus isn't really needed other than for labs and other specialty classes.

And how did we learn this?
The faculty demanded to be safe and isolated. ... Be careful what you wish for. ;) 

Eh....I hope people don't think that way too much.  Distance learning is trash compared to in-person.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/3/2021 at 1:45 PM, Oxbow6 said:

The rack rate for a years tuition at UND is $10K.  Ask any kid at UND right now who is strictly online, most not by choice, if they think they are getting a decent ROI on their tuition dollars and the answer is a resounding "no".

Having received one degree from UND in residence and a second online I'd say that UND has a good online setup, but the ROI is still better for in residence. There's just more to do and better access to resources and professors when you are there in person. 

Admittedly though some of that is on me honestly. Life gets in the way a lot more when you're going to school part time online. This year probably has a lot more full time students online which could yield different results I suppose. 

• 2 months later...