SiouxSports.com Forum

Make REA Fun Again...

Frozen4sioux

Watching the NHL playoffs has been awesome, full crowds, raucous, chanting, loud and involved all game. The crowds in Nashville, Columbus, Long Island, Clagary and Las Vegas have been insane.

It looks really really FUN!

Its been making me think about our hallowed palace on the prairie,

I love the REA, I mean love it, Its home, it fits, I love walking around the smells, the views from all levels its special. 

But much like a marriage, even if it's love, its not allways fun anymore.

The second period seems like the hockey is secondary if not 3rd behind socializing, checking the selfie likes and trading land rentals in the concourse.

The new adornments are nice, and the updates to the lighting, the the scoreboard, the boards, the team area its all awesome. 

But has it made the games more fun?

What can we do to get back the fun?

Obviously winning exciting games withbexciting players is paramount but as far as off the ice?.....

I think it starts and ends with the students and the expectations the arena encases upon the students.

I think the band also needs more freedom and MUCH MUCH MUCH less of the A/V blaring music and sound effects during stoppages.

Maybe we need a new resurgence of the golden feathers to create lead new chants and traditions, idk... thoughts i guess.

What think you?

When was the last time the REA was fun?

What brings that back?

At what point would you say it was last "fun"?  Personally, I've always felt the atmosphere was a bit "uppity" since the beginning.  Now, don't get me wrong, the place has had its moments:  2006 NCAA regional, Gwozdecky ejection, Gopher destructions, and Pogo's OT penalty shot are the ones that come to mind for me.  But mostly, it's a place to be seen.  The reduced interest of students (talked about on many threads throughout this forum) probably has a lot to do with it.

• Upvote 1

It would be more Fun for me if there was reasonable priced parking closer to the Arena & lower prices for food & drink & A National contender Team every year and/or Consistent scoring & top of the League PP & PK - The people running the video boards & music have never been Great & have gone downhill in recent yrs - A top Arena should have top amenities & product - We are spoiled & want even better - Oh & Bring Back Fighting Sioux 

The closest thing ND will ever have to Pro Sports needs to be as close to Professional as possible & then some - but I'll give it more thought :cool:

• Upvote 1

There is no chant that the crowd can perform in unison. 

The fan base has multiple identities and is divided. 

One of the only chants the student section participates in is a half assed "Sioux forever" for a few seconds after a penalty kill, or the "who's he, he sucks !@#$" during intros.

How do you fix it?  Fighting Hawks name and logo need to be bought into 100% by the hockey program/REA. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I would love to see the million+ organ get used more at the REA personally.

In addition to the experience, just have the marketing staff research and watch what happens at NHL games during the regular and playoff season and incorporate a couple ideas.

Video projector on ice would be a good start too.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

One of the only chants the student section participates in is a half assed "Sioux forever" for a few seconds after a penalty kill, or the "who's he, he sucks !@#$" during intros.

How do you fix it?  Fighting Hawks name and logo need to be bought into 100% by the hockey program/REA. 

Yawn...

yeah that'll work. Force something the customers dont want on them further.

Good businees stategy. Its working for the B1G tho....

Now on to some realistic solutions.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

I would love to see the million+ organ get used more at the REA personally.

In addition to the experience, just have the marketing staff research and watch what happens at NHL games during the regular and playoff season and incorporate a couple ideas.

Video projector on ice would be a good start too.

Big ones here all very good ideas...

Yes the on ice is one thing i really would like to see, its very important.

If a repaired relationship is going to exist after MK slithers out of town, Id like to see the one ice projection as the symbol of good faith moving forward.

1 minute ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Now on to some realistic solutions.

I'd say figure out how to help people realize the Fighting Sioux nickname is literally never coming back so they can move on and accept the actual nickname and logo of the team they are cheering for but you said realistic, so I got nothing.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Bingo!!  There is huge identity crisis at the game.  You have the Sioux logo everywhere, you have the hockey team only referred to as "North Dakota" by the announcers to go with the script logo, and you have too look really hard for the Fighting Hawks logo.  You have fans yelling "Go Sioux" and you have fans that feel that if they yell "Go Hawks" they are going to get dirty looks from other fans!!  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just one thread Lord,

Just one thread without the Hawkzi Kabal of Our Lady of a Delusional Dream, hijaking it into a fire and brimstone tounge lashing for not falling into line with the demands of the their devine minority.

In the name of all that holy, Amen.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Atmosphere could easily increase ten fold overnight but no one really wants too. Cause they love money so much.

Move all the students to the lower bowl and allow alcohol in all the seats.

"Increased atmosphere" is just lip service at this point. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Bingo!!  There is huge identity crisis at the game.  You have the Sioux logo everywhere, you have the hockey team only referred to as "North Dakota" by the announcers to go with the script logo, and you have too look really hard for the Fighting Hawks logo.  You have fans yelling "Go Sioux" and you have fans that feel that if they yell "Go Hawks" they are going to get dirty looks from other fans!!  

Nope no crisis, things are going well.  The 4 or 5 name thing is really swell.

• Upvote 1

Need to fill the place up every game and lower the prices on everything, tickets, parking and food.

the band could help, the best band I have heard in there was Michigan’s band during the regionals

get fans that want to be there, we do have a marketing program ,get the students involved.

without students it’s just a boring, quiet crowd.

32 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

This is a top 5 NEEDS TO HAPPEN in my opinion.

1. On ice projection

2. Silence the blaring stoppage music

3. Move the students

1-Will be cool but won't help sustain atmosphere during the game

2-What will take it's place?  At least it prevents silence due to divided fan base 

3-What will the students do, other than yell at the opposing goalie, if they are moved?  Will standing help the atmosphere?  Possibly could help them be more rowdy, but what will they yell?

You are missing 4 and 5 on your "top 5"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1