SiouxSports.com Forum

Make REA Fun Again...

Frozen4sioux

6 hours ago, siouxforeverbaby said:

how would it be even more of a solution? you would still have people on either side that complained.

if im sitting in the sections to the left or right of the current student section, the standing students block the view of the action to the far peripheral, which is what siouxforeverbaby opined in his post.

If you move the students to the end, the sections beside the end... the corners would not have their vision blocked as they would be rotated towards play and would not have the their view of the ice impeaded.

So the people on the side sections would no longer be impacted by standing students....

the people in the corners would not be impacted by standing students....

and the season ticket holders would be "upgraded" to center ice sections.....

So the only person impacted by an end of standing screaming raucous, possibly inebriated students would be the opposing goalie......?....... 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

if im sitting in the sections to the left or right of the current student section, the standing students block the view of the action to the far peripheral, which is what siouxforeverbaby opined in his post.

If you move the students to the end, the sections beside the end... the corners would not have their vision blocked as they would be rotated towards play and would not have the their view of the ice impeaded.

So the people on the side sections would no longer be impacted by standing students....

So the only person impacted by an end of standing screaming raucous, possibly inebriated students would be the opposing goalie......?....... 

I think a lot of people sitting on the end of the rink want to be sitting on the end of the rink, so not sure they would look at it as an upgrade, which may be why you put quotations around it.  I don't think the Ralph wants to open up that can of worms, as you would likely have a few defections, especially after the last few years. 

19 minutes ago, tnt said:

I think a lot of people sitting on the end of the rink want to be sitting on the end of the rink, so not sure they would look at it as an upgrade, which may be why you put quotations around it.  I don't think the Ralph wants to open up that can of worms, as you would likely have a few defections, especially after the last few years. 

Definitely not an upgrade for me. 

Unfortunately there is little they can do about the seating location.  They messed up by not putting the students at the end when the arena first opened up.  Gonan be hard to tell people that have donated thousands upon thousands of dollars to UND and have been season ticket holders for nearly 2 decades that they can no longer have the seats they have been siting in since the arena opened. 

1 hour ago, tnt said:

I'd be happy to move from my end of the rink to center ice. Not even because I think it's a huge upgrade but for the added advantage of having our student section right on top of the opposing goalie for 2 periods.  Imagine an opposing goalie getting heckled like they do to the guys in the penalty box, it would be a nightmare for a goalie. That'd be a very minor inconvenience for the people that prefer to sit on the ends and provide an even bigger home ice advantage IMO.  I think of Alfond Arena as an example.

17 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I'd be happy to move from my end of the rink to center ice. Not even because I think it's a huge upgrade but for the added advantage of having our student section right on top of the opposing goalie for 2 periods.  Imagine an opposing goalie getting heckled like they do to the guys in the penalty box, it would be a nightmare for a goalie. That'd be a very minor inconvenience for the people that prefer to sit on the ends and provide an even bigger home ice advantage IMO.  I think of Alfond Arena as an example.

I think most goalies at that level are able to block out more than we give them credit for.   Think--don't have reason to say I know. 

18 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Ralph's stated goal when building the arena was that the students were to get the best seats in the arena, which is why they were put at center ice. Not sure that can of worms will be opened.

Well, the unintended consequence of giving the students the “best seats in the arena” is they can’t act like students. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Some would have no problem with it, but I'm sure others would not be happy at all.  I have been trying to get seats at the end of the rink since just a few years into the new Ralph's existence with no luck.  Maybe you want to trade me even up for my seats, and I will intimidate the goalie for you.  ;)

2 hours ago, tnt said:

Some would have no problem with it, but I'm sure others would not be happy at all.  I have been trying to get seats at the end of the rink since just a few years into the new Ralph's existence with no luck.  Maybe you want to trade me even up for my seats, and I will intimidate the goalie for you.  ;)

If you're center ice, you got a deal

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Same.  No interest in center ice seats.

Best seats in most rinks are on the curve down low on the second level, rail if possible.    Unless you want to hear the players, pound glass, etc. 

Depends on the rink, of course.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

her post, not his...but thank you.

Either corner wouldn't be able to see the other corner which is what they complained to the Athletic Dept about when I was there and they suggested moving the students to the end.

This is my biased opinion but why not us the people on these forums complaining decide to start a chant? That’s how Nashville got stuff going and became recognized for their chants.  My proposal is if you are a STH for UND hockey on here like this message and let’s come up with new chants to do.  Weather that is after a goal or on the PK or during line ups or during the PP.  IDK what but as a STH I want to create hell for the other team to play in and that starts with us.  My first one I want to start is the standing O during timeouts.  I know Nashville already does it but it’s awesome. 

2 hours ago, coltssiouxfan said:

This is my biased opinion but why not us the people on these forums complaining decide to start a chant? That’s how Nashville got stuff going and became recognized for their chants.  My proposal is if you are a STH for UND hockey on here like this message and let’s come up with new chants to do.  Weather that is after a goal or on the PK or during line ups or during the PP.  IDK what but as a STH I want to create hell for the other team to play in and that starts with us.  My first one I want to start is the standing O during timeouts.  I know Nashville already does it but it’s awesome. 

Because theres a fine line between "hockey chants" and "heckling youth student athletes"  ...

I know in this day and age its a blurry line but personally im not so comfortable with it...

Students... on the other hand, well they can rip the other kids and their mothers all night long. 

No, the kids are not going to be moved but the title of thread was making REA fun again, the move would do that, its just not going to happen.

I will say if people are selfish enough to refuse a small change that vastly benefits the program and experience they claim to support,  yet slightly inconveniences them.... do they really support the program or just value their own experience...???

More a philosophical that practical question really. NOT AN ACCUSATION! 

12 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Because theres a fine line between "hockey chants" and "heckling youth student athletes"  ...

I know in this day and age its a blurry line but personally im not so comfortable with it...

Students... on the other hand, well they can rip the other kids and their mothers all night long. 

No, the kids are not going to be moved but the title of thread was making REA fun again, the move would do that, its just not going to happen.

I will say if people are selfish enough to refuse a small change that vastly benefits the program and experience they claim to support,  yet slightly inconveniences them.... do they really support the program or just value their own experience...???

Fair point lol

11 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

The benefits are unknown and the negatives are guaranteed. The people in those sections have given plenty of support to UND, as evidenced by other season ticket holders here mentioning the difficulty in getting seats there. I recognize most of the people around me from sitting in the same sections in the old REA.

44 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I feel like there is a different yet somewhat comparable situation where people can't be asked to do something that inconveniences themselves for the betterment of the athletic department but can't quite put my finger on it. Do they really support UND it just their own personal feelings? ;)

4 hours ago, coltssiouxfan said:

A crowd on the same page is a lot of fun. The standing O is definitely a good example. Just need the music guy to help and not hinder. 

3 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

The benefits are unknown and the negatives are guaranteed. The people in those sections have given plenty of support to UND, as evidenced by other season ticket holders here mentioning the difficulty in getting seats there. I recognize most of the people around me from sitting in the same sections in the old REA.

Fair.

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I feel like there is a different yet somewhat comparable situation where people can't be asked to do something that inconveniences themselves for the betterment of the athletic department but can't quite put my finger on it. Do they really support UND it just their own personal feelings? ;)

"Inconvenienced" .....and.... "morally and aesthetically" disgusted are completely different things :devil:

• Upvote 1