SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2019-20

cberkas

14 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Read the following on Mankato, and college hockey, attendance. 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/4827198-MSU-Mankato-is-winning-the-draw-on-college-hockey-attendance.-But-other-regional-teams-are-not 

The author doesn't realize their own contradiction:

• First, "Yay! Yay!" -- Mankato is up 355 per game average so far this season. 
  • Then, SCSU and UMD are down. 

But the author goes on to admit the following:

• North Dakota has been 2 of the 10 Mankato home games so far.
  • North Dakota is yet to visit SCSU or UMD this season. 

So let's run Mankato's numbers:

• So far, 4484 average through 10 games (44840 total).
  • North Dakota games were 4565 and 5038.
  • Take out the North Dakota games and their 8 game average is 4404. 

Take out the North Dakota games and their pace is 275 more per game.  That's solid, but before getting too excited, let the full season play out. 

That said, the author should've been making the "North Dakota" point: Get North Dakota into your barn more often as the visitor to help attendance. (The author sort of does by pointing out UND is yet to visit UMD or SCSU.) 

The author's point is correct regardless of the UND games. 

Like you said, they're seeing an increase of 275 per game. That's without any home games vs MN teams. 

This weekend they'll have SCSU and then Bemidji St later in the year. 

The increase has been vs HUGE (:silly:) rivals AZ State, BGSU, Anchorage and Lake St.

Plenty of room for growth and it's great their fans are showing up. Could even see a bigger increase in the second half. 

Like you said, let the full season play out. UMD and SCSU will get the UND bump but even without it, Mankato is seeing better attendance than other local teams. 

On 12/23/2019 at 9:32 AM, southpaw said:

The author's point is correct regardless of the UND games. 

Like you said, they're seeing an increase of 275 per game. That's without any home games vs MN teams. 

This weekend they'll have SCSU and then Bemidji St later in the year. 

The increase has been vs HUGE (:silly:) rivals AZ State, BGSU, Anchorage and Lake St.

Plenty of room for growth and it's great their fans are showing up. Could even see a bigger increase in the second half. 

Like you said, let the full season play out. UMD and SCSU will get the UND bump but even without it, Mankato is seeing better attendance than other local teams. 

A couple of other things to point out. Last year Mankato had a Saturday game against MN which is as big or bigger of a game for the locals along with BU being in town. Each year has it's own positives and negatives.

Also, the beginning of the year is usually not nearly as well attended as the end of the year games. Realistically, hs football, the ag sector in that part of the state and more activities to do outside in the fall versus winter plays a big part. I would actually expect the attendance numbers to creep up a little bit more at the end of the year. By the way, SCSU does not come to Kato, that's part of the Mariucci Classic

In any case, Mankato is bucking the trend of decreasing attendance that most of the nation and state are seeing. That's a good thing. I know that 275 or 355 doesn't seem like that much, but that is approximately 7% of the buildings capacity. In that context, that's a pretty impressive increase. If any team could increase their % of capacity by that much, I'm reasonably certain that any AD would be ecstatic.

On 12/23/2019 at 9:17 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Read the following on Mankato, and college hockey, attendance. 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/4827198-MSU-Mankato-is-winning-the-draw-on-college-hockey-attendance.-But-other-regional-teams-are-not 

The author doesn't realize their own contradiction:

• First, "Yay! Yay!" -- Mankato is up 355 per game average so far this season. 
  • Then, SCSU and UMD are down. 

But the author goes on to admit the following:

• North Dakota has been 2 of the 10 Mankato home games so far.
  • North Dakota is yet to visit SCSU or UMD this season. 

So let's run Mankato's numbers:

• So far, 4484 average through 10 games (44840 total).
  • North Dakota games were 4565 and 5038.
  • Take out the North Dakota games and their 8 game average is 4404. 

Take out the North Dakota games and their pace is 275 more per game.  That's solid, but before getting too excited, let the full season play out. 

That said, the author should've been making the "North Dakota" point: Get North Dakota into your barn more often as the visitor to help attendance. (The author sort of does by pointing out UND is yet to visit UMD or SCSU.) 

Interesting....so on average, they have 275 fair weather fans show up. Lol 

4 hours ago, Prison_Mike said:

State of Hockey my ass...

B9D596FC-AAFC-4B50-B484-F5450F728DDC.jpeg

I give this a pass.  Basically a road game for both teams.  I assume this was earlier in the day when the roads got a bit better, but this morning it was an ice rink outside and I'm sure there were some who chose to play it safe and just stay home.  Roads were really bad, and lots of rain plus falling temps made for scary conditions.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, George M. Bluth said:

I give this a pass.  Basically a road game for both teams.  I assume this was earlier in the day when the roads got a bit better, but this morning it was an ice rink outside and I'm sure there were some who chose to play it safe and just stay home.  Roads were really bad, and lots of rain plus falling temps made for scary conditions.

True.  They usually have twice that many fans in the seats. 

• Upvote 3