SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ CC -- Saturday Gameday

Wilbur

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

This isn't a "private family matter" subject to FERPA regulations. Whether or not a player is in the line-up is fair game for public discussion.

It's also fair game for a coach to not tell you why he benched a player. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I agree. Should have it been done earlier in the year? Sure. But, when we're trying to stay alive in the race for anything at all, benching a center is not the best plan. I can see why he played. 

Yeah I did not expect him to be benched, no matter how deserved it would have been. 

• Upvote 1

My guess is that JBD was trying to do too much himself, because nobody else can really create much.  Bubs probably just wants him to simplify his game, give him and his head a rest  knowing we need him at his very best to make a run at the NCHC playoff title.  

Everyone is looking at this from the "where was JBD" perspective. 

Allow me to change the perspective ever so slightly: 

Was JBD given a night off so someone else had one last opportunity to prove they deserve a slot on next year's roster. 

It is the time of year where these decisions need be made (to let recruits know if they should be making college plans or letting their junior teams know they'll still be there in the fall). 

Vision is seeing both what is and is not there. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Was JBD given a night off so someone else had one last opportunity to prove they deserve a slot on next year's roster. 

It is the time of year where these decisions need be made (to let recruits know if they should be making college plans or letting their junior teams know they'll still be there in the fall). 

This would be great if Berry was actually making people earn their roster slot for next year - We have seen no evidence of this ever happening with Berry.  If he wants to have players prove they deserve a slot on next year's roster it would be the best news we could get.  But the optics of JBD sitting while he plays a senior Captain who hasn't scored a goal in about 20 games and runs around willy nilly taking game changing penalties time after time.   Seems like there is absolutely no accountability on his team and that is a big problem.  We have a ton of dead weight.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Irish said:

... he plays a senior Captain who hasn't scored a goal in about 20 games and runs around willy nilly taking game changing penalties time after time.   

I'm not condoning 22's play; however, with 8, 16, and 25 out we're a line down already.

What's there to play at forward if you sit 22? Sit 22 and you're down to just available 18 skaters. 

You're literally staring at a fourth line of 4, 5, 20. <-- Yes, that's three guys who played defense a year ago. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm not condoning 22's play; however, with 8, 16, and 25 out we're a line down already.

What's there to play at forward if you sit 22? Sit 22 and you're down to just available 18 skaters. 

You're literally staring at a fourth line of 4, 5, 20. <-- Yes, that's three guys who played defense a year ago. 

There is some kind of misconception here that we have an AHL affiliate somewhere to draw players from.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

What's there to play at forward if you sit 22? Sit 22 and you're down to just available 18 skaters

1 minute ago, runaroundsioux said:

There is some kind of misconception here that we have an AHL affiliate somewhere to draw players from.

Tough to sit the one NHL caliber player on the roster for a ECHL or at best marginal AHL player....regardless of position. Heck Gooch played center for the FIRST time in his career Saturday.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

Funny enough, I’ve been using this jokingly all season. 

“Who can we call up from our minor league affiliate?” :lol:

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

If you’re suggesting punting on the season and just looking towards next year, why is your second post relevant?   Turn it into tryouts for next year and send a message about undisciplined idiotic penalties. 

1 minute ago, Siouxphan27 said:

If you’re suggesting punting on the season and just looking towards next year, why is your second post relevant?   Turn it into tryouts for next year and send a message about undisciplined idiotic penalties. 

We're out of forwards.

Having a D play F is not the way to judge if that D should be on the roster in a year. Sitting a D and playing that D at D is. 

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

His name is Ryder and he’s dead to me. 

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

His name is Ryder and he’s dead to me. 

My mistake on the name - my point is that if we didn't have room for him next year then it seems like absolutely none of the dead weight will be held accountable for anything.  Not taking a realistic, hard look at the roster may be his downfall.

41 minutes ago, Irish said:

My mistake on the name - my point is that if we didn't have room for him next year then it seems like absolutely none of the dead weight will be held accountable for anything.  Not taking a realistic, hard look at the roster may be his downfall.

Don't be surprised if he flounders in his USHL stint this year and gets some wear and tear on his suit next season considering the class Wisconsin brings in. UND suggested what he should do, and it conflicted with what his high school coach told him.  Just looked at a draft ranking that came out today and he keeps dropping, fifth round projected now.

5 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Don't be surprised if he flounders in his USHL stint this year and gets some wear and tear on his suit next season considering the class Wisconsin brings in. UND suggested what he should do, and it conflicted with what his high school coach told him.  Just looked at a draft ranking that came out today and he keeps dropping, fifth round projected now.

Yeah but this board has him going top 5 overall

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Yeah but this board has him going top 5 overall

Haha, certainly seems like it.

I have no problem with the coaches wanting him to prove himself in Juniors rather than make the jump straight from HS. I bet we could find posts on here wanting Yon to jump straight in after his senior year.  MN HS to NCAA to NHL is increasingly rare.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

We're out of forwards.

Having a D play F is not the way to judge if that D should be on the roster in a year. Sitting a D and playing that D at D is. 

I’m not sure that’s such a bad thing given our forwards points production.  

If you’re evaluating someone, play them at their proper spot.  

Who knows we just might win a few more games playing 5 on 5 with a guy or two out of position vs two guys sitting in the box.