SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at Denver

runaroundsioux

I don't understand.    A lot of folks are convinced the coaches failed by not bringing in high end talent the last couple of years.  Yet, when they play top rated teams close but lose, the players and coaches get ripped, as if we should win those games with the talent we have.  

Canisius I get.  But a lot of these other games in which they have played good teams well but lost, I don't 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Username Taken said:

Look at the shot charts and quality of scoring opportunities in the games they have lost. To me, it’s the coaches job to put them in position to score, and the players job to execute. What’s off in the losses they have appears to be execution and not opportunity. 

I don't necessarily disagree but this is college and, fair or not, coaches recruit those players who "execute".  Using that logic, Haks was the greatest coach ever you'd have to agree based on your logic then as he coached/set up his team and gave them the "opportunity" to win a natty damn near every season but got blasted by many for those players not "executing" in the end.   

Each coach has their pros and cons. 

Its ever apparent Berry is a crap (my favorite word apparently right now) recruiter compared to Hakstol.

I don't think many, if any, people are going to give Berry a tenured UND coaching position for the one natty.

If that means moving on and finding a guy who constantly gets them playing top notch hockey every year (like Hakstol did - that ones for you MM. :)), so be it.

Denver seems to do pretty good coach after coach.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, tnt said:

What frustrates me is to hear Berry once again talk about selfish penalties with Gardner, a without any action.  He really must be a player's coach if there is no accountability.  I actually think it is selfish of Berry to continue to allow this to happen without some sort of discipline. Who knows if we score another goal if we aren't shorthanded for those four minutes. No player is bigger than the team, and Berry needs to be their coach, not their friend.  If you're not disciplined there, you probably lack discipline in other areas as well.  Like the effort, but when you're having trouble scoring you can't afford to give up things in other areas.

So do you think berry is incompetent or he has players that are incompetent or that neither are trying hard enough?

15 minutes ago, Username Taken said:

Look at the shot charts and quality of scoring opportunities in the games they have lost. To me, it’s the coaches job to put them in position to score, and the players job to execute. What’s off in the losses they have appears to be execution and not opportunity. 

If what you describe is true than it is the players. Coaches provide opportunities and players must execute. 

That said, coahes must  sign players who can execute 

23 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Your favorite random "what if" question.

Your choices: "SemiFinal games for eternity or a Natty followed by 38 years of crap."

Most people: "Nattys every year or maybe a BC like run a few years ago."

Your two favorite random assumptions:

1)  Hakstol would have never won a national title.  No reason why not, just because he is cursed or has never won a title at any level.

2)  We’re all OK with a string of down years as long as a natty comes around once a decade — as if that natty is guaranteed to happen.

• Upvote 2

I have really liked the effort lately, but when you constantly talk about how snakebitten you are and allow something you have discussed just as often in bad penalties, you aren't doing yourself a favor in all the tight games by not addressing it with discipline.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Your teo favorite random assumptions:

1)  Hakstol would have never won a national title.  

2)  We’re all OK with a string of down years as long as a natty comes around once a decade — as if that natty is a guarantee.

Well the first one was true at UND. He had 11 years to try. Every coach before and after him did it in less years while coaching UND.

That Monty guy at DU seemed to do it in short order.

I don't think I ever said anything close to the second.

11 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Each coach has their pros and cons. 

Its ever apparent Berry is a crap (my favorite word apparently right now) recruiter compared to Hakstol.

I don't think many, if any, people are going to give Berry a tenured UND coaching position for the one natty.

Find a guy who constantly get them playing top notch hockey every year (like Hakstol did - that ones for you MM. :))

Denver seems to do pretty good coach after coach.

recruiting happens years before the kids get here. Most of these kids are Hakstols recruits....

1 minute ago, Sioux90 said:

recruiting happens years before the kids get here. Most of these kids are Hakstols recruits....

Not necessarily. Hakstol could have pulled others in a shorter time frame and those would probably be the difference between winning and losing right now.

1 minute ago, Sioux90 said:

That's probably true.  One thing that doesn't get mentioned much is a coach's ability to develop leaders.   Sometimes leaders just come along, like JT.  But other times, they have to be cultivated, IMO.  This team does not seem to have a natural leader. 

3 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Like the one poster said, start citing shooting percentage, not SOG.  And that's piss poor shooting at 0% for the game/8 % (or lower) on the season.   

I found it.

If I was making clickbait headlines it would read:

"The Stat Schlossman is to Scared to Talk About!"

As predicted, UND is dead last in shooting percentage as a team in the NCHC. Not only that, but they are 7 spots from being the worst in the country!!

Tonights shooting percentage was 2.17% (one goal on 46 shots), which could pull UND even further down the list...

Couple that with the country's 46th best Power Play...

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/stats/

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I found it.

As predicted, UND is dead last in shooting percentage as a team in the NCHC. Not only that, but they are 7 spots from being the worst in the country!!

Tonights shooting percentage was 2.17% (one goal on 46 shots), which could pull UND even further down the list...

I got your clickbait right here...

"N-rth Dak-ta H-ckey!  Where's the missing O?"

• Upvote 1

Teams with a low shooting % are often playing 5-on-5 mostly high in the zone.

Unless you are #87 or #8 it’s as important where the assist is coming from as where the shot is taken. NHL charts consistently show a high correlation between shooting %, and assists from behind or parallel to the goal. One successful pass behind the net before the assist pushes the shooting  % even higher. I guess we all know this, but I don’t know what our charts say about where the passes are coming from. 

Sucks to be a defenseman facing the glass, or a goalie looking over his shoulder while shooters cycle in front of the net. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TheFlop said:

Stupidity is keeping 4-5 of these punchless forwards for next year instead of bringing in a talent like Donovan.

U actually think Donovan is going to do something in college hockey next year? Outside of the layup games he has in HS he hasn’t done much.  I strongly doubt he’s going to walk into college hockey (never playing a season of junior hockey) and be a key player.

3 hours ago, Cratter said:

Already lost Donovan. 

Berry got luck with bringing in Nick Jones, which without would be an ever crappier team.

Luck because at Ohio State, Nick had one goal in 26 games, and then was 5th in scoring for the Pentincton Vees when he committed to UND.

Only 5th because he came in late.  He shredded that year.  One could argue he went into college hockey too early the first time.

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

U actually think Donovan is going to do something in college hockey next year? Outside of the layup games he has in HS he hasn’t done much.  I strongly doubt he’s going to walk into college hockey (never playing a season of junior hockey) and be a key player.

No, I think if he comes straight from high school it might be a slow first year......but he's a 2nd round talent so there's significant upside after that.  I'd rather put up with one slow year by Donovan with the potential for a large payout after that then sitting watching 4 slow unproductive years by half of the forwards on this team.

• Upvote 1

Well the sun came up (or is about to).

Good effort like always last night. UND had a chance or opportunity to win, whatever you want to call it. They played well against a decent DU team... If you know much regarding that DU goalie, he's a solid goalie recruit. Give that goalie credit, he deserves it, he played well!

The frustrating thing again is lack of offense. I've watched ~ 95% of UND games this year. Why can't they get some garbage or lucky/gift goals? This team needs some crappy/lucky goals every now and then. However, this team never gets them!  The why? I still don't think collectively as a team they go to the net strong enough. Still a lot of perimeter play too. Jackson Keane did go strong to the net and then that Ian MItchell (I think it was him) illegally (I thought) sent Jackson on his ass. Kudos Jackson, you're a freshman and one of the few that go strong to the net. Keep being a leader as a freshman! Play him more. Gavin Hain too, job well done. Play Hain more!!!

Congrats, C. Adams, you scored your second goal of the year. Let's start rolling here moving forward. You should have 10-12 goals by now. You weren't penciled in as a  top 6 forward to have only 2 goals so far during your sophomore campaign by Feb 1st. He's playing well, start scoring more and that will help the O. I think he gets hot here.

Come hell or high water (97' flood reference) the UND squad has to win tonight. Win or bust!

Fing' get it done!!!

P.S. Senden redeem yourself tonight. I have you penciled in for a goal. Gardner too, you're due for a goal again.

***Lastly***

Enough with the Donovan talk. No way that kid takes college hockey by storm next year. Been watching UND hockey for too many years. Only  freshman and some true freshman to take the college world by storm @ UND that come top of mind were the following: Parise, T. Zajac, R. Spirko, D. Stafford, Oshie, Brock B. Kristo (had a good freshie campaign) Brock Nelson (decent freshie stats) Ryan Duncan, Toews, Jason Gregoire, Brett Hextall (also had a solid freshie stat line, not bad).

I'm sure Donovan will be a good college hockey player, but it's not like UND lost out on a Jack Eichel, Dylan Larkin, or a Kyle Connor etc. Move on.

6 hours ago, Cratter said:

I found it.

Can you please stop with statistics and analytics? It tends to ruin the narrative for some around here.

Schloss could do this article with the clickbait headline:

"Grade A.....Chances or Eggs? UND's season is fried!"

58 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

No, I think if he comes straight from high school it might be a slow first year......but he's a 2nd round talent so there's significant upside after that.  I'd rather put up with one slow year by Donovan with the potential for a large payout after that then sitting watching 4 slow unproductive years by half of the forwards on this team.

Donovan is going to end up being another Mitchell Mattson. First round talent, but only against high school competition.

• Downvote 1