SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at Denver

runaroundsioux

Looks like the boys are going for the fruit juice again tonight.  They don't get the Mimosa.  It does suck that there were 2 players in the stands last night who would have been a Sr and Jr. respectively.  That is just part of being such a respected program.  This team is just bitten with not having anyone who can finish consistently.  

6 hours ago, SiouxBoys said:

Because scoring isn't something that just translates no matter what level to level. There are plenty of examples of players who weren't big point producers in juniors and something clicked once they reached college, and vice versa. It's all about recognizing who can bring it at the next level and who can't. This staff is having a seriously tough time doing that and it's not down to just "puck luck".

You guys ever hear of Jonny Brodzinksi? That's true that it doesn't always translate, but I'll still take a guy who has produced at the Junior level over someone who hasn't. Age is also a really important thing to evaluate when looking at Junior numbers too.

Berry with top talent and well-developed players from the Hakstol days dominated all the way to the national championship. Berry's system can work with the right players and talent. Problem i see is that UND is filled with 3rd and 4th liners, some 2nd liners, and a strong lack of any top line guys. Either the recruiting has gone bone dry or this coaching staff is failing to develop players. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Feff said:

Berry with top talent and well-developed players from the Hakstol days dominated all the way to the national championship. Berry's system can work with the right players and talent. Problem i see is that UND is filled with 3rd and 4th liners, some 2nd liners, and a strong lack of any top line guys. Either the recruiting has gone bone dry or this coaching staff is failing to develop players. 

UND is a program that by the time a class is Seniors, they are a shell of what they were, losing multiple players to pro contracts. I've been a broken record, but the Junior class was a recruiting misstep by the coaching staff. Hoff hasn't panned out with his expectations, but besides him, everyone was a bottom line "energy" type of player. This years Senior class (Forwards) although small, is a solid group, but when you combine them with the Junior class, your upperclassman don't have the top end talent. The Junior class is so key to a program like UND, that's where you see a lot of guys prove themselves before signing a contract (with the exceptions being the 1st round talents who have already signed). The Sophomore class is small in size, but does have talent. Freshman class has probably exceeded expectations, but I also questioned the overall talent coming into the year.

My hope is and it appears that way looking at next years class, that Berry has learned from some of his recruiting mistakes. 

Side note: Strictly talking forwards, since the dman / goaltending is solid.

Starting with St. Cloud, I wondered what would happen first with this stretch of highly ranked teams, they win a Friday night game and give everyone true hope for a sweep they desperately need, or get swept. It's time to continue to bend but not break.