SiouxSports.com Forum

St. Cloud State at North Dakota (January 25 & 26)

GoalieMask

35 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

Combination of expect the unexpected, and a team that has played up to its opponents.   

I'm assuming also that Nick Jones plays healthy, as he's been key to us having the puck a lot.  We need to not take needless penalties, and we need to get good goaltending.   I don't see us scoring more than 2, but I can see us limiting their chances.

And yeah, I'm wearing green colored glasses.

I was actually quoting The Exiled One who's a Clown fan. 

I think it's a normal thing for a UND fan to pick a sweep at home haha.

Was in St. Cloud last weekend and caught the Friday game against Western. St. Cloud is sneaky fast, on another level from past years (sadly, reminds me of what we looked like a few years ago). If our goal tending is great and defense is locked in, we have a chance. But they are going to score one or two, and we seem to be goal challenged, so I don't feel good. Loss 3-1 tonight. 

7 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I mean, I get it. I was just curious! How you feeling about your team, buddy?

Honestly, pretty good, because I don’t give a rat’s butt about conference championships or NCAA seeding this year. (Been there done that.)  I just want a ticket to the dance. That’s it. Just another shot at the title. It looks like that’s pretty much taken care of, so anything else is gravy at the moment. Not that I like losing to UND, but this weekend means less to me in the grand scheme of things than it would in a typical season.

11 minutes ago, The Exiled One said:

Honestly, pretty good, because I don’t give a rat’s butt about conference championships or NCAA seeding this year. (Been there done that.)  I just want a ticket to the dance. That’s it. Just another shot at the title. It looks like that’s pretty much taken care of, so anything else is gravy at the moment. Not that I like losing to UND, but this weekend means less to me in the grand scheme of things than it would in a typical season.

Completely fair. I guess that makes sense, to me. I'd certainly love to be in the situation your team is in, right now. We're in desperation mode. Not sure if that'll change anything for UND, but I'm hoping it does.

12 minutes ago, The Exiled One said:

Any chance you can get your boys to adopt this as their mantra for the weekend?  We'd appreciate it.

• Upvote 1

03-11-17 Grand Forks (ot), W 6-5 NCHC Quarterfinals
12-08-17 St. Cloud (ot) T, 2-2 UND wins shootout
12-09-17 St. Cloud L, 1-3 Eyssimont 2G, Hrenák 34 sv
03-02-18 Grand Forks (ot) L, 3-4 Ryan Poehling GWG
03-03-18 Grand Forks (ot) T, 2-2 UND clinches home ice
03-18-18 St. Paul (ot) L, 2-3 NCHC Semis

In the last six games against SCSU, UND is 1-4-1. Losers of four in a row. Five of the last six have gone to OT. I'd have to say that UND is due. 

4 minutes ago, Goon said:

In the last six games against SCSU, UND is 1-4-1. Losers of four in a row. Five of the last six have gone to OT. I'd have to say that UND is due. 

Or it's a trend and SCSU is just better.

15 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Any chance you can get your boys to adopt this as their mantra for the weekend?  We'd appreciate it.

Ha! Probably not. I think these boys are playing with a grudge and a purpose. The grudge comes from the disappointment of last season's finish and the betrayal of their alumnus coach. The purpose is to 1) Win the last four games of the season, and 2) Shove it in the face of the traitor. Their expectations are different than mine by definition.

In my pre-season NCHC writeup on the CC Hockey Discussion page, I picked SCSU to win the Penrose despite many others going with the defending national champs. Pre-season picks usually aren’t worth the paper they’re written on but they’re fun to make. I thought-and continue to think-that St. Cloud is the deepest, most balanced team in the conference and so far, that’s holding true. There’s St. Cloud and then the other 7 teams. The interesting battle will be for spots 2, 3, and 4 as barring a collapse, the Huskies should easily win the conference but there will be a dog fight for the remaining 3 home ice spots as neither Duluth, Western, nor Denver appear as locks for any of those three remaining spots in any particular order.