SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at Omaha - January 18-19, 2019

Dave Berger

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Personally I think his obsession with broom ball, Soviet era jerseys, and all things Golden Griffs could possibly tie him into the whole Trump-Russia thing. 

I seem to recall hearing @MafiaMan ‘s name mentioned in a Buzzfeed story today about Russian collusion. #fakenews???

3 hours ago, Kooshnitz said:

Anyone else think these announcers are damm good? I know most of the time some announcers are homers are sound like crap but these guys sound intelligent and great reads. What u guys think ?

Wife an I were talking about that. These guys are great to listen to. They call the game like it is and don't appear to favor anyone, except for the team who is earning it at any given moment. Very impressive job by UNO on their production. They have truly invested in their program, and hopefully their results will eventually show on the ice.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I seem to recall hearing @MafiaMan ‘s name mentioned in a Buzzfeed story today about Russian collusion. #fakenews???

Pity.   He was a real stand-up guy once, before he got heavily involved in gerunds, infinitives, and past participles.  Your standard gateway stuff. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Wife an I were talking about that. These guys are great to listen to. They call the game like it is and don't appear to favor anyone, except for the team who is earning it at any given moment. Very impressive job by UNO on their production. They have truly invested in their program, and hopefully their results will eventually show on the ice.

The announcers were great, the production missed a couple times. Early in the first period they showed SOG as 0-0 when both teams had a few SOG, and then they didn't show shots until between periods. They also showed UND's PP% and UNO's PK% - when UND was on the PK and UNO on the PP.

1 minute ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Just saw that we won last night so everyone must be happy today - right!

:wink:

Happy is always part of the equation on a road win. Played good most of game, but had some bad lapses. This one could of been tied in the last minute and half of the game. Maybe tonight they put it all together, there bound to bust loose in one of these games. 

UND beat a poor team last night. A win is a win, but SCSU, UMD and DU seem to be on an entirely different level than UND, Omaha, Miami and CC. Seems like WMU is stuck somewhere in the middle. Either way, I'm glad to see UND is showing some fight and showing that they actually care and can produce some goals even against a poor team (finally), but the overall skill set just isn't there. I'm prepared for them to go .500 through this last stretch of NCHC play, which should be considered a win for this team. As long as the gophers and both Boston teams miss the tourney I'll be able to calm myself until next season.   

Who would trade ND native Casey Johnson for Mason Morelli? Tough miss on him

While we're at it, who would trade ND native Casey Johnson for:

Jared Spooner- Mankato? Me

Jon Lizotte- SCSU? Me

Jacob Benson- SCSU? Me

Cody Haiskanen- Cornell? Me

Alec Rauhauser- Bowling Green? Me 

7 minutes ago, AJS said:

@OgieOgilthorpe was I the only person that wasn’t that impressed with Denver when they played UND? UND dominated the play Saturday. I wouldn’t say Denver is on another level, think UND matches up fine with them.

No I thought about mentioning that as well actually. It seemed like UND matched up well with DU, but I still believe DU is on another level with the way they handle other teams that UND couldn't and doesn't. DU has only lost 4 games all season and have stomped on out of conference opponents all year long. They also swept WMU pretty easily which is the opposite of what UND did against them. But yes, I do like UND's chances against DU because UND seems to handle that playing style a lot better than teams like UMD and WMU. I think SCSU plays a comparable style to DU, but even faster, but that might give UND a fighting chance against them. 

I still can't wait for SCSU to blow it in March! 

11 minutes ago, AJS said:

@OgieOgilthorpe was I the only person that wasn’t that impressed with Denver when they played UND? UND dominated the play Saturday. I wouldn’t say Denver is on another level, think UND matches up fine with them.

The problem isn't matching up.  We match up with a lot of schools - even Canesius.  That's what is so frustrating about this team.  The problem is beating them. not just outshooting them.  It is nice to rally against a couple of bottom feeders to win (even though we puked up 3 two goal leads).  However, this team has made zero improvements to things under their control.  I get that we have a roster of logo-shooters (that's on Berry).  The offense looks stilted and uncreative - not sure that is talent or the "system" or what but let's try something besides chipping off the boards.  We take stupid penalties at the worst times - mainly by our veterans.  We get a lead and then immediately start coasting.  No killer instinct at all.  Speaking of coasting - very few games played the full 60.  That can't be our "culture" can it?  Add in the worst special teams year in year out and here we are.  By the way, how did Denver re-load so fast given the coaching change etc?  Of the top 50 freshman scorers they have 4 - we don't have a forward in the bunch.  What's going on?  Time for "Mr. Culture" to earn his paycheck.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Irish said:

The problem isn't matching up.  We match up with a lot of schools - even Canesius.  That's what is so frustrating about this team.  The problem is beating them. not just outshooting them.  It is nice to rally against a couple of bottom feeders to win (even though we puked up 3 two goal leads).  However, this team has made zero improvements to things under their control.  I get that we have a roster of logo-shooters (that's on Berry).  The offense looks stilted and uncreative - not sure that is talent or the "system" or what but let's try something besides chipping off the boards.  We take stupid penalties at the worst times - mainly by our veterans.  We get a lead and then immediately start coasting.  No killer instinct at all.  Speaking of coasting - very few games played the full 60.  That can't be our "culture" can it?  Add in the worst special teams year in year out and here we are.  By the way, how did Denver re-load so fast given the coaching change etc?  Of the top 50 freshman scorers they have 4 - we don't have a forward in the bunch.  What's going on?  Time for "Mr. Culture" to earn his paycheck.

All valid points, it was a frustrating game to watch again last night, because you see large glimpses of really good play, but next thing you know it’s tied late in the 3rd. They just can’t seem to put it together for 60 minutes or even more, can’t finish a team when they have the opportunity.

This isn’t a bad team, these close wins are encouraging, they are learning how to win. Still a long ways to go this year.

Edit: Them not playing a complete 60, probably isn’t fair. This team for the most part does play hard.

13 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

This team still has too many passengers most nights. 

That's why IMO guys like Keane, Rieger and Yon need more ice time.

Keane yes, but Yon and Rieger?!?! Neither of those guys deserve to be on d1 ice let alone at UND IMO. If you're speaking directly at their effort and in turn giving some of the other guys wake up calls by sitting for Yon and Rieger, then I kind of get where you're coming from but still. UND's healthy scratches, extra skaters and even a few regular guys baffle me on how they tricked this coaching staff into thinking they could be quality d1 hockey players.