SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at Omaha - January 18-19, 2019

Dave Berger

2 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Keane yes, but Yon and Rieger?!?! Neither of those guys deserve to be on d1 ice let alone at UND IMO. If you're speaking directly at their effort and in turn giving some of the other guys wake up calls by sitting for Yon and Rieger, then I kind of get where you're coming from but still. UND's healthy scratches, extra skaters and even a few regular guys baffle me on how they tricked this coaching staff into thinking they could be quality d1 hockey players. 

We'll disagree and BTW two words.......Casey Johnson. 

'Nuf said.

Both Rieger and Yon should play above him.

19 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Keane yes, but Yon and Rieger?!?! Neither of those guys deserve to be on d1 ice let alone at UND IMO. If you're speaking directly at their effort and in turn giving some of the other guys wake up calls by sitting for Yon and Rieger, then I kind of get where you're coming from but still. UND's healthy scratches, extra skaters and even a few regular guys baffle me on how they tricked this coaching staff into thinking they could be quality d1 hockey players. 

Ogie,

While everyone is entitled to their opinion/yours sounds more of a rant by an angry old white haired man.

See you are from Minot/explains alot.

I am a Keane fan, just like what I see with no explanation

I like Reiger too, although putting him ahead of Casey likely exposes my use of gut feeling.

Some things I noticed, many passed thwarted by opponents legs and sticks, seems like we struggled with passing and passing decisions, I guess communication is lacking perhaps...

Also, could we win a race to the puck, seems like every time we would have a 30' race to the puck we would let off and not gain control...

But I am happy with a win, it is only a game...

5 minutes ago, Old Fella said:

Ogie,

While everyone is entitled to their opinion/yours sounds more of a rant by an angry old white haired man.

See you are from Minot/explains alot.

Yes it is just an opinion but that's what this site is for. With watching a lot of hockey at all levels, especially this level, I think it's glaringly obvious UND has 3 maybe even 4 guys that flat out don't belong on D1 ice. Nothing personal to them, I'm not angry about it, but I'm just pointing out that those recruits just didn't pan out. They obviously showed success elsewhere, and were showing a good trajectory, but they peaked out before they got to UND. It happens from time to time, but not often does it happen with 3-4 guys all in one season at larger hockey school like UND. Losing that bottom end support and fire power has a bigger effect on teams than most people realize. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Yes it is just an opinion but that's what this site is for. With watching a lot of hockey at all levels, especially this level, I think it's glaringly obvious UND has 3 maybe even 4 guys that flat out don't belong on D1 ice. Nothing personal to them, I'm not angry about it, but I'm just pointing out that those recruits just didn't pan out. They obviously showed success elsewhere, and were showing a good trajectory, but they peaked out before they got to UND. It happens from time to time, but not often does it happen with 3-4 guys all in one season at larger hockey school like UND. Losing that bottom end support and fire power has a bigger effect on teams than most people realize. 

Opinions are 1 thing/demeaning comments another.

I saw my first Sioux hockey game in 1954 at the old barn.

Was a slow learner so was at UND 1956-61 and 1964-67.  Saw a lot of hockey.

Have had season tickets since the old Ralph was built. Still have them and go to games when they give me a pass from the home.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Old Fella said:

Opinions are 1 thing/demeaning comments another.

I saw my first Sioux hockey game in 1954 at the old barn.

Was a slow learner so was at UND 1956-61 and 1964-67.  Saw a lot of hockey.

Have had season tickets since the old Ralph was built. Still have them and go to games when they give me a pass from the home.

Would ripping on another poster about where they're from count as a demeaning comment then? 

I'm sharing my opinion about the current state of the UND hockey team and their game last night, just like this thread states. Things aren't going nearly as well as they have in the past so not all opinions are going to be playful and happy. 

Glad to hear you've been a fan so long

21 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Would ripping on another poster about where they're from count as a demeaning comment then? 

I'm sharing my opinion about the current state of the UND hockey team and their game last night, just like this thread states. Things aren't going nearly as well as they have in the past so not all opinions are going to be playful and happy. 

Glad to hear you've been a fan so long

You win!  Comment re Minot was your possible connection to Morreli. a very talented player.  Watch both his grandfather & son play.

Edited by Old Fella

4 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

UND beat a poor team last night. A win is a win, but SCSU, UMD and DU seem to be on an entirely different level than UND, Omaha, Miami and CC. Seems like WMU is stuck somewhere in the middle. Either way, I'm glad to see UND is showing some fight and showing that they actually care and can produce some goals even against a poor team (finally), but the overall skill set just isn't there. I'm prepared for them to go .500 through this last stretch of NCHC play, which should be considered a win for this team. As long as the gophers and both Boston teams miss the tourney I'll be able to calm myself until next season.   

Who would trade ND native Casey Johnson for Mason Morelli? Tough miss on him

While we're at it, who would trade ND native Casey Johnson for:

Jared Spooner- Mankato? Me

Jon Lizotte- SCSU? Me

Jacob Benson- SCSU? Me

Cody Haiskanen- Cornell? Me

Alec Rauhauser- Bowling Green? Me 

I would like to know how much UND even recruited those ND kids?  Throw in Grant Johnson who went to NMU.  

A while back, a buddy of Morelli tweeted something along the lines of the fact that UND "forgot to recruit him".  I don't know if that's just a joke, but a kid like him needs to end up here.  Or what about Lizotte?  All you heard was "ohh his skating".....well turns out the kid can skate at the D1 level just fine and has had success everywhere he has played.

I knew Morelli working at the rink in Minot over the summers of my college years and the kid would have given his left lung to play for the Sioux like his dad and grandpa.  I guess kids change.....

I BLAME BLAIS!!!! :lol:

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I would like to know how much UND even recruited those ND kids?  Throw in Grant Johnson who went to NMU.  

A while back, a buddy of Morelli tweeted something along the lines of the fact that UND "forgot to recruit him".  I don't know if that's just a joke, but a kid like him needs to end up here.  Or what about Lizotte?  All you heard was "ohh his skating".....well turns out the kid can skate at the D1 level just fine and has had success everywhere he has played.

I knew Morelli working at the rink in Minot over the summers of my college years and the kid would have given his left lung to play for the Sioux like his dad and grandpa.  I guess kids change.....

I BLAME BLAIS!!!! :lol:

Haiskanen blew out his knee prior to his Sr. year at Davies. Unfortunately got lost in the recruiting shuffle. 

5 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

UND beat a poor team last night. A win is a win, but SCSU, UMD and DU seem to be on an entirely different level than UND, Omaha, Miami and CC. Seems like WMU is stuck somewhere in the middle. Either way, I'm glad to see UND is showing some fight and showing that they actually care and can produce some goals even against a poor team (finally), but the overall skill set just isn't there. I'm prepared for them to go .500 through this last stretch of NCHC play, which should be considered a win for this team. As long as the gophers and both Boston teams miss the tourney I'll be able to calm myself until next season.   

Who would trade ND native Casey Johnson for Mason Morelli? Tough miss on him

While we're at it, who would trade ND native Casey Johnson for:

Jared Spooner- Mankato? Me

Jon Lizotte- SCSU? Me

Jacob Benson- SCSU? Me

Cody Haiskanen- Cornell? Me

Alec Rauhauser- Bowling Green? Me 

You show your lack of knowledge by comparing Casey Johnson to several forwards on your list.  Casey was brought in to be a depth defensemen, nothing else.  The fact that he is able to get in the lineup at forward is an indictment on the lack of talent there.  In other words, it wasn't an either or type of decision between Johnson and most if not all of those guys on your list. 

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

You show your lack of knowledge by comparing Casey Johnson to several forwards on your list.  Casey was brought in to be a depth defensemen, nothing else.  The fact that he is able to get in the lineup at forward is an indictment on the lack of talent there.  In other words, it wasn't an either or type of decision between Johnson and most if not all of those guys on your list. 

That may be in this one circumstance but he is taking a roster spot.  The bigger picture is that there seems to be huge recruiting problem lately.  This is one of the least talented teams I have seen in the last 40 years.  Time for Bubba to be honest with us and himself and stop the coachspeak.  Things need to change quickly.

15 minutes ago, Irish said:

That may be in this one circumstance but he is taking a roster spot.  The bigger picture is that there seems to be huge recruiting problem lately.  This is one of the least talented teams I have seen in the last 40 years.  Time for Bubba to be honest with us and himself and stop the coachspeak.  Things need to change quickly.

In the last 40 years wow.... early to mid 90s und did not have much talent and the teams did nothing. Maybe do some research. Us north dakota fans have been spoiled since the new ralph was built. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

In the last 40 years wow.... early to mid 90s und did not have much talent and the teams did nothing. Maybe do some research. Us north dakota fans have been spoiled since the new ralph was built. 

Ok, in the last 40 years there have been roughly 3 years as bad or worse than this one - 91-94.  And those 3 years lead to the firing of a coach who led us to 3 National Championships. The point is that we are getting to a low point that is not what Sioux Hockey is all about.   And I did say "one of" not the worst.  By the way it is We North Dakota fans not Us North Dakota fans - do some grammar check. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Irish said:

Ok, in the last 40 years there have been roughly 3 years as bad or worse than this one - 91-94.  And those 3 years lead to the firing of a coach who led us to 3 National Championships. The point is that we are getting to a low point that is not what Sioux Hockey is all about.   And I did say "one of" not the worst.  By the way it is We North Dakota fans not Us North Dakota fans - do some grammar check. 

It's not even February and you've already wrote the year of.   Remember first year of the Ralph.  That was bad.  91-94 was bad, but 94-96 was also not better than this year.  Many years when Dave was here we were in much worse shape.  THE SKY IS NOT FALLING.  Let the year play out. 

• Upvote 1

Turn the page.

Omaha playing one and a half lines all night has got to give UND the advantage tonight.

Take three or less penalties and they win 4-1.  Get involved in special teams play and Omaha sticks around and you have a 4-3 game either way.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Turn the page.

Omaha playing one and a half lines all night has got to give UND the advantage tonight.

Take three or less penalties and they win 4-1.  Get involved in special teams play and Omaha sticks around and you have a 4-3 game either way.  

Agree. Less penalties and move the puck we win by 2 or 3.

Btw, did anyone rewind and see Adams’ play on the winning goal? Great burst and a patient pass through traffic onto the curve of Keane’s stick. I have hope 

1 hour ago, nodakgirl93 said:

We won 2 NCAA titles in the Old Barn, 5 in the Old REA and 1 in the New REA. Our last really bad stretch of seasons was 91-94, with one losing season (2002) since 1995.