SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs donors... again?

Frozen4sioux

21 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Sometimes self-reflection is needed to help someone understand what the common denominator is in situations where the same problem continues to arise....

Quote: The foundation has not had a great relationships with the past three presidents at UND

??  Quote: "The foundation has not had great relationships with the past three presidents at UND, but McGarry said President Kennedy became impossible to work with."

You chose to leave off the last half of that sentence in your post. This full sentence shows this relationship was much different from that of the past presidents. Must note here, there is also a difference between the Engelstad Foundation and The Ralph although with a common denominator in KEM. The Engelstad Foundation never made statements of not giving money to UND with past presidents, in fact they gave over $20M to UND Foundation since it's beginning of 2002 - http://engelstadfoundation.com/esf/past-donations/. Did the article mean KEM's relationships with The Ralph instead of the foundation in this sentence ??? This Foundation should always be treated with the most of respect from a UND perspective, for there is much potential here. 

Now discussing only The Ralph - nick name for Ralph Engelstad Arena, Inc. on UND land which consists of:
Three non-profits
LLC and UND's future interest
30 Years Lease

Annual Working Agreement (maybe a better name for this)
The arrangement was agreed on by the ND State Legislature, UND, and Ralph Engelstad.
This part the Working Agreement is a little fluid, so here is where I think most of the frustrations develop, and yes it's about money? KEM has eluded to frustrations here with past presidents, but not at all at the level as like with MK. From what I hear, KEM is holding her ground with this working agreement; first as to the best interest of UND hockey, and secondly to UND athletic department. This is her responsibility (more on this later), and yes there is a board, and it seems there is not an objection from this board to the direction The Ralph is going. So we have that. I would add, that the people on these three boards of the non-profits seem to have the respect of the community.

UND alumni/fans/supporters need to understand The Ralph was built for hockey, with spoils spreading out:
From the Barn to The Ralph
From once in a lifetime visit to season ticket holder
From a walk-on playing only a few games to a team standout taking it to the NHL
From being a good home attendance draw to being number one fan draw in the country (taking in $)

The Ralph is here to help make UND hockey a top program in the country, and to do that it will continue to consume $. It's first priority is not to finance the AD, but will help with available funds after hockey priorities are taken care of. This is were I give KEM an 'A', she is following the mission. 
youtube.com/watch?v=9t7HXxpOWT0KEM
She could of gave in to Kennedy's demands. She is a volunteer board member, as all the rest, she could throw the towel in and walk, but no she continues to fulfill the demands of her position.

The Ralph with the hockey team, this leadership, the management/personal within, and etc. makes the Palace on the Prairie.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

UND alumni/fans/supporters need to understand The Ralph was built for hockey, with spoils spreading out:

And what you (and KEM and her cohorts) need to understand is that a school's #1 revenue sport absolutely has to help fund the other programs on campus. And that isn't happening right now. My first loyalty is to the school itself and all its programs/missions. Not to one individual (coach, president, etc.). Not to one program at the expense of the others. And definitely not to one donor, no matter who her daddy was. And that is why once 2030 comes around, the Engelstad Foundation and whomever else has their fingers in this need to be out of the picture. Permanently.

4 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

The Ralph is here to help make UND hockey a top program in the country, and to do that it will continue to consume $. It's first priority is not to finance the AD, but will help with available funds after hockey priorities are taken care of.

That arena is one big cash machine. I cannot believe that all the profits are eaten up by operating expenses. The convoluted management structure is perfect for hiding where the money goes vs. where everybody thinks it goes. I have said this before, but we need a forensic accountant to untangle the finances of this arena. Because I think there is a lot we don't know. And it would infuriate us if we did.

Either this situation changes or we should just move back down to Division II. Because being a low-end Division I athletic department is not in the best interest of UND. And I believe it is not what most supporters of UND want. We also should cultivate relationships with other potential donors. Division I costs way more than Division II did and we need more revenue streams than the Champions Club, 50/50 raffles and leftover table scraps from REA, Inc.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Either this situation changes or we should just move back down to Division II. Because being a low-end Division I athletic department is not in the best interest of UND. And I believe it is not what most supporters of UND want. We also should cultivate relationships with other potential donors. Division I costs way more than Division II did and we need more revenue streams than the Champions Club, 50/50 raffles and leftover table scraps from REA, Inc.

I sort of agree. If UND does not want to commit to be a top-level FCS school in all sports, lets just become UMN-D again and save everyone the time and money. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

This is why UND needs to nail this presidential pick.  It needs to be a Grand Slam type of hire. 

So who would be a "Grand Slam" type of pick?  What type of candidate fits that criteria?  Someone with UND ties? Experience as a University President?  Someone young and energetic the students can get behind?  

1 minute ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So who would be a "Grand Slam" type of pick?  

Whomever the emissary of the chosen informs us has been anointed is said "grand slam". 

Translated: We'll know when gfhockey lets us know who won dice at gobc coffee*; they get to pick the president; we'll hear the name then. 

*Something this important they do over morning coffee at the truck stop (not saying not hungover) to show proper gravitas. 

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And what you (and KEM and her cohorts) need to understand is that a school's #1 revenue sport absolutely has to help fund the other programs on campus. And that isn't happening right now. My first loyalty is to the school itself and all its programs/missions. Not to one individual (coach, president, etc.). Not to one program at the expense of the others. And definitely not to one donor, no matter who her daddy was. And that is why once 2030 comes around, the Engelstad Foundation and whomever else has their fingers in this need to be out of the picture. Permanently.

That arena is one big cash machine. I cannot believe that all the profits are eaten up by operating expenses. The convoluted management structure is perfect for hiding where the money goes vs. where everybody thinks it goes. I have said this before, but we need a forensic accountant to untangle the finances of this arena. Because I think there is a lot we don't know. And it would infuriate us if we did.

I would tend to agree with most of what you say.
My post was more of reality than my belief of how things should play out.

One must still keep in mind, The Ralph was set up (while Ralph was still alive with UND) to support hockey, and yes some for UND and it does. The question till fall of 2030 will always be how much support should go to UND.  Apparently KEM didn't grant MK his wishes, she stayed on coarse. Hockey was the main support from day one.

We do need to find more ways to support UND athletics and HPC phase II. One thing that should help a little is the The Betty is paid for in fall of 2020.

Allow me to say there is some benefit to having REA run as a separate entity as it is.

Don't believe me? How many millions of "deferred maintenance" did Kennedy have to get off of UND's books because UND wasn't doing the maintenance on the facilities.

If that's how UND would run The Ralph (putting off maintenance) I don't want them running it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

This is why UND needs to nail this presidential pick.  It needs to be a Grand Slam type of hire. 

Don't know how true this is, heard in our group of UND fans?
Or I'll state it this way, what if:

Cutting WH (which was actually Fabian's idea) didn't yet save the AD much $, because The Ralph was basically paying those bills. Kennedy taught by cutting WH, he would save that amount of $ in the AD for other bills.

Now we have $2M from The Ralph to go towards a scoreboard, along with a $4M gift from the Engelstad Foundation to rubber stamp this purchase. We all know we could of continued on with the old scoreboard. A challenging move, but could of we refused the $4M from Engelstad Foundation, and hoped The Ralph instead gave their $2M to the AD, surely possible; but not happening under MK. These things play out for the betterment of all, if we all get along while still playing by the rules in place, and yes for another 10 years.

So yes we need a good next president.

On 4/18/2019 at 7:38 AM, northernraider said:

I sort of agree. If UND does not want to commit to be a top-level FCS school in all sports, lets just become UMN-D again and save everyone the time and money. 

FCS is a football only designation.  Schools are not FCS, football is.   Schools are DI, DII, DIII.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

Not for Bison fans....

Well, there's even a difference between FBS schools.  Colorado State just spent 250 million on a new stadium hoping to get an invite to a power 5 conference and get out of the MWC.  Ain't gonna happen.

Basically, everyone knows that Alabama is division 1, CSU is division 2, NDSU/UND are division 3.  Unless you've swallowed the NCAA koolaid.

Sorry, carry on... 

On 4/27/2019 at 2:30 PM, Hayduke said:

Basically, everyone knows that Alabama is division 1, CSU is division 2, NDSU/UND are division 3.  Unless you've swallowed the NCAA koolaid.

The common vernacular is the P5 (Power 5) conferences, the G5 (Group of 5 other FBS conferences), and FCS. 

All are officially "DI" conferences, but to say "not all the same" is somewhat of a massive understatement. 

• Upvote 2