Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Frozen4sioux

Kennedy vs donors... again?

Recommended Posts

The last thing UND and a new president needs right now is adding the hasle of management and the expense of upkeep of the REA.

The next pres needs to begin to plan for the eventuality of those issues.

But its the last thing they need right now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PCM wouldn't take this wager. Any takers here?

Wanna bet a cold beverage that MRK’s tenure at CU looks much like at UND, namely, some ugly budget decisions that get knickers in a twist and some dead weight (facilities or staff) is ‘discharged’, and he’s gone before 2023 … but he got paid.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frozen4sioux said:

The last thing UND and a new president needs right now is adding the hasle of management and the expense of upkeep of the REA.

The next pres needs to begin to plan for the eventuality of those issues.

But its the last thing they need right now.

 

I said UND AA&F.
That's not the president. 
UND AA&F is a separate private entity; the president is ex officio on that board

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait a minute now...is Kennedy going to be at UND graduation?  Could get ugly...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I said UND AA&F.
That's not the president. 
UND AA&F is a separate private entity; the president is ex officio on that board

Hire the same firm that runs the Alerus Center. They are doing a great job with that; they would do a great job with REA. Also, both facilities could coordinate their schedules; thus avoiding them competing with each other for events.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can the people currently managing it just continue to due so under new ownership?  I wouldn't want them to leave if a firm is hired to run it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

PCM wouldn't take this wager. Any takers here?

Wanna bet a cold beverage that MRK’s tenure at CU looks much like at UND, namely, some ugly budget decisions that get knickers in a twist and some dead weight (facilities or staff) is ‘discharged’, and he’s gone before 2023 … but he got paid.  

the one thing Kennedy does deserve credit for is trimming the fat of the UND budget.  Haven't looked into the financials at CU by any means, but it may have played a role in him being selected President there.  If he does the same thing at CU, it absulutely will tick of some people.  A lot less fiscal conservatives at DU than UND.    

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So you want KEM and company to remain in charge into infinity? No thank you.

No not KEM.  But the people who run it as their day job.  Most of the current issues that UND faces with the Ralph are because the AD doesn't have the power to make capital budgeting decisions, and the AD doesn't receive the profit that the REA generates.  Both would change and the people over there every day can stick to day to day operations.  They can still be part of the decision making processes, but not much really needs to change aside from accounting issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

No not KEM.  But the people who run it as their day job.  Most of the current issues that UND faces with the Ralph are because the AD doesn't have the power to make capital budgeting decisions, and the AD doesn't receive the profit that the REA generates.  Both would change and the people over there every day can stick to day to day operations.  They can still be part of the decision making processes, but not much really needs to change aside from accounting issues.

Okay, I gotcha now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully the next president takes UND on the right course and sends the provost to Colorado too

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

So the complaint with Kennedy was a "tone deaf politico with a penchant for angering segments of the constituency" ... and you want to replace with a tone deaf politico with a penchant for angering segments of the constituency. 

lqKlotB.png

 

I won't defend Kennedy, but at least he had proven fiscal (CFO) and academic (GWU) chops before his arrival. 

Two big things HH would bring over MK are:

  1. Tact - to quote Oxbow6
  2. She has ties to ND and gives a damn about the university and the state in the past and in the future.  This it true whether she is the president or not.  MK has no particular affinity for anything ND other than his job as president of UND.
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Does the word "tact" having any meaning?  It goes a long ways in most situations. MK had none.

Sorry but facts do not care about feelings. The fact of the matter was UND was in a lot of trouble. The past presidents kicked the can down the road as long as possible until a man with "no tact" came in and cleaned it up. Did he upset people? Sure but the people he upset are the ones who have been complacent and were able to get away with everything (this includes donors with dad's money). Maybe Heidi would be an okay choice as interim president but history suggests that is probably not the answer. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Two big things HH would bring over MK are:

  1. Tact - to quote Oxbow6
  2. She has ties to ND and gives a damn about the university and the state in the past and in the future.  This it true whether she is the president or not.  MK has no particular affinity for anything ND other than his job as president of UND.

If she gave a damn about the state she would still be a senator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, siouxkid12 said:

If she gave a damn about the state she would still be a senator

Please elaborate while leaving her politics out of it - since you believe that wasn't a deciding factor.  Only that she didn't care about the state. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

If she gave a damn about the state she would still be a senator

You're a hack - quit being so hurt over her voting record like the liberals are in Colorado with Kennedy's voting record 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Please elaborate while leaving her politics out of it - since you believe that wasn't a deciding factor.  Only that she didn't care about the state. 

Pretty safe assumption that he means North Dakotan's don't feel like her priorities aligned with theirs, which is why she was voted out.

My biggest concern about HH would be budget-related. We saw what happens when you kick the can down the road for two decades instead of make hard choices. When McFeely floated the comment as a joke, her old Chief of Staff's responded (semi-jokingly I assume/hope) is that HH's first order of business would be to reinstate WIH. I mean, that's what you learned from and took out of all this budget stuff? 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's cut to the chase.......if HH is UND's next prez Joel will ultimately call the shots! :wink:

Or at a minimum will compete w KEM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Two big things HH would bring over MK are:

  1. Tact - to quote Oxbow6
  2. She has ties to ND and gives a damn about the university and the state in the past and in the future.  This it true whether she is the president or not.  MK has no particular affinity for anything ND other than his job as president of UND.

Biggest reason Heitkamp would be the wrong choice for the next UND President is her ignorance on the financial decisions that had to be made to make UND viable in the future.  Her views here expressed about leaving the door open for the womens program coming back should raise some red flags.  

http://www.espn.com/videohub/video/clip/_/id/19085094/categoryid/clip?id=25813053

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Pretty safe assumption that he means North Dakotan's don't feel like her priorities aligned with theirs, which is why she was voted out.

My biggest concern about HH would be budget-related. We saw what happens when you kick the can down the road for two decades instead of make hard choices. When McFeely floated the comment as a joke, her old Chief of Staff's responded (semi-jokingly I assume/hope) is that HH's first order of business would be to reinstate WIH. I mean, that's what you learned from and took out of all this budget stuff? 

Is that North Dakotan for "didn't bring home enough pork projects"? :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, siouxkid12 said:

Sorry but facts do not care about feelings. The fact of the matter was UND was in a lot of trouble. The past presidents kicked the can down the road as long as possible until a man with "no tact" came in and cleaned it up. Did he upset people? Sure but the people he upset are the ones who have been complacent and were able to get away with everything (this includes donors with dad's money). Maybe Heidi would be an okay choice as interim president but history suggests that is probably not the answer. 

Tact means you know how to talk to people to achieve your overall goals and objectives. It does not mean you refuse to make tough decisions when necessary. People skills matter.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel uncomfortable about making demands of any of our generous donors to donate more now because  Kennedy is gone.

demanding or hoping are different things 

I hope that this opens a few wallets/purses!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SiouxFan100 said:

I feel uncomfortable about making demands of any of our generous donors to donate more now because  Kennedy is gone.

demanding or hoping are different things 

I hope that this opens a few wallets/purses!

Really?  Even after her obnoxious statements about not donating as long as Kennedy is president?  Now that she has her way, she better not have drug his name through the mud, made UND look bad, and discourage other donors, only to NOT donate when he is finally gone.  I'd agree with you if she didn't go to the press multiple times to complain about him in public.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Really?  Even after her obnoxious statements about not donating as long as Kennedy is president?  Now that she has her way, she better not have drug his name through the mud, made UND look bad, and discourage other donors, only to NOT donate when he is finally gone.  I'd agree with you if she didn't go to the press multiple times to complain about him in public.

Agree that there needs to be some healing.

 I just feel we need to be careful about demanding donations.

kind of like demanding that more fans go to a football game and stand and cheer

much more effective to folks want to than be lectured to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Really?  Even after her obnoxious statements about not donating as long as Kennedy is president?  Now that she has her way, she better not have drug his name through the mud, made UND look bad, and discourage other donors, only to NOT donate when he is finally gone.  I'd agree with you if she didn't go to the press multiple times to complain about him in public.

You are talking about MK I hope.

Oh and you forgot playing the racism and sexism cards.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...