SiouxSports.com Forum

Campus Closed

Vegas_Sioux

• 1 month later...

Campus closes at 7:00 AM Tuesday morning 1-29-19 due to cold weather. Pubic schools also closed in a very large regional area.

UND has not announced when they will open up?  Usually they announce how long they are closed, not this time, thinking closure could be for more than one day?

Local Beer sales will be above average for a Tuesday.

9 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Campus closes at 7:00 AM Tuesday morning 1-29-19 due to cold weather. Pubic schools also closed in a very large regional area.

UND has not announced when they will open up?  Usually they announce how long they are closed, not this time, thinking closure could be for more than one day?

Local Beer sales will be above average for a Tuesday.

We had an announcement like this once back in the day.  We immediately headed for John Barleycorn.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, northernraider said:

Seriously? Its record level cold. Why have students walk 10 minutes to class or wait on the bus? They keep it open and someone gets serious frostbite, seems a lawsuit. 

They played HS hockey games in Bemidji for Hockey Day Minnesota with a temp of -27 to start the first game.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

We had an announcement like this once back in the day.  We immediately headed for John Barleycorn.  

We kept our apartment behind Burger Time off of Demers warm with oven on broil with oven door open.

• Upvote 1

All roads blocked, a half dozen of us walked to Frenchys (only a beer bar then) with 2 toboggans and rope (called first to see if open). Frenchy lived out in the country and got stormed in and stayed in the bar overnight along with some late customers. We arrived and had a beer to rest up, bought 2 kegs, tied then onto the toboggans and walked back. 

image.jpeg.ca1a03c0a9b32eb08ca70027d058a4ce.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Brucesky02 said:

I seem to recall a second-hand quote from President Kupchella that if students were willing to risk their lives to go to the bars, they could risk their lives to go to class. Was there ever a snow day during his presidency? (99-08)

image.jpeg.c9d4fe4bc8babc1056cf3fc51c29faf2.jpeg

1 hour ago, Brucesky02 said:

I seem to recall a second-hand quote from President Kupchella that if students were willing to risk their lives to go to the bars, they could risk their lives to go to class. Was there ever a snow day during his presidency? (99-08)

I recall at least one in that time frame, though it was for snow, not temp.

I remember only 1 day of school being cancelled between 85-89 after a blizzard with large snowfall. You couldn't drive anywhere in a vehicle because it took awhile to open the roads. Didn't have cell phones back then, but a few phone calls later and our house(ATO) and the Beta's decided to have a party at their house. We had some kegs and they had a few laying around as well. We had 3-4 snowmobiles and spent the next couple hours gathering up girls from the sororities and dorms and had a pretty decent party.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, northernraider said:

Seriously? Its record level cold. Why have students walk 10 minutes to class or wait on the bus? They keep it open and someone gets serious frostbite, seems a lawsuit. 

How long have you lived in ND? This is not record level cold. 10 minutes? This windchill hysteria has gotten ridiculous. They don't even give the actual temperature anymore. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

How long have you lived in ND? This is not record level cold. 10 minutes? This windchill hysteria has gotten ridiculous. They don't even give the actual temperature anymore. 

Couldn't agree more. Just a few years ago (school year 2014-2015) I remember a handful of walks to 8ams in January where normal air temps were -28F. Class getting canceled wasn't a discussion, much less a thought on my mind; we just dealt with it.

Dealing with the same thing down in the cities. Put up with these same freezing below zero temps in high school, fully expected to go to school and now most of the metro area has it off through Thursday. The level of sensitivity continues to rise almost faster than political correctness these days.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Brucesky02 said:

No there wasn’t. Never had an issue with frostbite personally either

22 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

No there wasn’t. Never had an issue with frostbite personally either

Actually just one.  Was in october of 2001.  Early year snow storm dumped about 10 inches.  School Closed around noon.  I was a freshman-got loaded in Walsh 120.

1 minute ago, BIGSIOUX said:

Actually just one.  Was in october of 2001.  Early year snow storm dumped about 10 inches.  School Closed around noon.  I was a freshman-got loaded in Walsh 120.

Thanks for that. I knew there weren't any 06-08 but I wasn't sure before then. 

I recall that when it got below zero, the walk across campus was actually nicer than warmer days - your legs would start to go numb and you stopped feeling cold.

14 hours ago, runaroundsioux said:

The "windchill temp" is the easiest thing to block and negate. Something as simple as a windbreaker.

They make heated jackets, heated gloves, heated boots, heated hats.

One could easily sweat in these temperature walking to class nowadays.

• Upvote 1