SiouxSports.com Forum

Augie announces they are examining the move to DI

Wildfan

If the end result of this is Summt football, then it becomes slightly more palatable. However, do not believe that Douple is forward-thinking enough to take the Summit in that direction. It will have to fall on the Presidents and Athletic Directors.

If this does run off the non I-29 schools, it just reinforces the paradigm that the Summit is a stepping stone league that is not a stable conference. More move-ups are becoming more scarce. Who would be next? Mankato? Duluth? Pittsburg? If they bring stability, it might, repeat might, be a positive.

still mourn leaving the Big Sky.  :(

2 hours ago, Goon said:

Apparently, the fans aren't really behind this move. Check out the twitter responses

I think its sad that the Argus is now reporting on how Twitter is reacting.  As if that is some kind of "pulse of the nation" instead of a vocal minority of a subset of people on twitter that chose to respond to a tweet.  Not all of those responses were from Augie fans.  It would be like polling Bisonville on whether UND going D-1 was a good idea.  I'd be curious what a poll of augie alumni or students would say.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, kiyoat said:

I think its sad that the Argus is now reporting on how Twitter is reacting.  As if that is some kind of "pulse of the nation" instead of a vocal minority of a subset of people on twitter that chose to respond to a tweet.  Not all of those responses were from Augie fans.  It would be like polling Bisonville on whether UND going D-1 was a good idea.  I'd be curious what a poll of augie alumni or students would say.

I actually like the idea of another school in the region being in the Summit. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Interesting that this article says basketball is Denver University's only revenue sport. What does that say about how widely NCAA Hockey is followed?

Revenue is in quotations, meaning conference will be looking at how the addition of Denver makes revenue sharing economic.  Hockey and lacrosse are almost irrelevant on conference decisions.  Denver has made it know in the past that it wants the West Coast Conference, but they don’t want them because DU doesn’t create new basketball revenue, yet.

7 hours ago, kiyoat said:

As a South Dakotan are you worried about the Sanford and their connection to Auggie? I am just asking after reading the rantings and ravings of a DU fan. 

11 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

They can complain, but where is DU going to go?  Want to go back to the WACky WAC who hangs on by a thread?  Big West won't touch them with a 39.5 foot poll.

DU doesn't have a lot of choices, they were kicked out of a league before. Also, I am not sure why UNO thinks they've all of a sudden gained some sort of elite status?